Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New to this....baby has asthma

Posted by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 4:16 PM
  • 1 Replies
  • 395 Total Views

My son is 5 months old and the doctors believe he has asthma. We've been having to give him breathing treatments for the past month.  The doctor believes he is developing allergies as well.  He is still a happy baby always smiling but it pains me to see what he has to go through.  Asthma and allergies run on both mine and my husband's family.  Is there any advice you can give me to minimize the discomfort and provide a better home situation for my son.

in lovebusy mombriefcase

*Busy working mom and wife loved by my soulmate and my 5 babies*

by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 4:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-1):
proverbsmommy4
by Group Owner on Dec. 15, 2008 at 7:14 PM

1.  Get rid of all regular household and hygeine products.  Go with the eco-friendly/organic kinds.  The American Lung Association was the one that advised me of that and the doctors have backed it up 100%. 

2.  Avoid cow's milk products.  If you are breastfeeding, try drinking rice milk or soy.  Rice is far better than soy (healthwise) and contains more calories.  Most have added calcium and vitamins so you don't have to worry about nutritional loss.  If you are formula feeding, switch to soy based formulas.

3.  Boost your baby's immune system as much as possible.  Try giving him Poly-Vi-Sol liquid vitamins for infants.  It's great stuff and truly, vitamins DO boost the immune system.

4.  Get a high quality air purifier and a high quality vaccum.  Vaccum at least every other day and wash all bedding at least once a week in HOT water.  Avoid stuffed animals (except Build A Bear does have a teddy bear that is asthma and allergy friendly).  Switch to mini blinds instead of curtains (or wash your curtains weekly).  If you paint your home, use eco-friendly paints that have no VOC's.  Also avoid particle board furniture because that releases chemicals that trigger asthma attacks and cause lung issues.

5.  Keep your home as clean as possible.  Make sure there is no mold, mildew, dust, etc. 

6.  I can't stress this enough ABSOLUTELY avoid ALL cigarette smoke.  If family members smoke, insist they take it off the property to the sidewalk and have them change their clothes before holding the baby.  If people are smoking near an entrance to a public building, ask your husband to go politely ask them to move because you have an asthmatic baby.  If you are polite and explain your situation, most times people do understand.  If you are by yourself, then wait for that person to leave with the cigarette. 

7.  Ask that people wash/sanitize their hands before holding/playing with your baby and insist that no one who has had any cold symptoms in the last 48 hours comes over to visit.  Insist if they have even been around anyone sick, they wait to come over.  A simple cold to one person, often turns into a lung infection for an asthmatic baby.  So be very proactive about keeping sick people away from your baby.  Go to www.mytinyhands.com  for a really USEFUL and cheap sign that you can attach to strollers, baby carriers, or even their jacket to ward off strangers that want to come up and touch your baby's hands, face, etc. 

That's all the time I have for now. I know it's a lot, and it will be overwhelming but once you get a routine down and learn all the facts, it becomes second nature.  Your child is so worth it.  The hardest part is converting your home in the beginning to non-chemical products.  That was hard for me but I knew I couldn't put a price on my son's health.  Just doing that alone made him go from 8 daily medications to only 1.  So the ALA was 100% correct in telling me to get rid of that stuff.  Even Johnson's and Johnson's baby washes and shampoos are nothing but chemicals.  Same with Gerber bath products.  I've researched several different companies to see which truly are eco-friendly and which aren't, so if you'd like that info, or links to websites I've used for research over the years, just email me and I'll be happy to share.

Also, switch to chlorine-free diapers.  One brand name is Seventh Generation and another is Earth's Best.  Both are good choices for diapers.  That is, if you aren't willing to go the cloth diaper route.  Cloth is best obviously, but if you can't/won't go for cloth then go with the organic diapers.

I'll try to remember more.  Feel free to check through the previous posts on here and the links on the side under "links" for more information.  Also feel free to email me with any questions you may have.  Like I said, it can be overwhelming, but you can do it.  :) 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)