Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Latch or seatbelt?

Posted by on Jun. 25, 2010 at 11:54 AM
  • 5 Replies
  • 325 Total Views

I know that usually people say either is fine, but I was wondering if anyone had any line of reasoning or thought as to why they chose seat belt or latch. Our car and seat can do either. We currently have it installed with latch (RF).

So, which do you do and why?

Mother to Beautiful, Inquisitive Aura. Soulmate to Kind, Funny Joey. Wrangler of Hyper, Impetuous Zander.

We are a breastfeeding, child-led weaning, baby wearing, elimination communicating, child-led solid feeding, gentle parenting, natural birthing, animal loving, vegan eating, co-sleeping, non-vaxing, volunteering, affection giving family.

by on Jun. 25, 2010 at 11:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
momk23
by on Jun. 25, 2010 at 5:33 PM

I use the LATCH system when it's available because I feel I can get a tighter fit with it.  Also, when I use the seatbelt, the carseat usually ends up a little tilted to the side for some reason.  And I guess I assume that if LATCH is the newest system that the car manufacturers have to offer, there must be some reason for them to offer it, be it safety or convenience.

carseatmama
by Member on Jan. 4, 2011 at 10:55 PM

LATCH is usually easier, especially for a RF install.  If I can get a good install with LATCH, that is usually what I use.

Jnc91
by on Jan. 4, 2012 at 9:52 AM
I use seat belt since in my car latch is only available on the side seats and it's safer for the carseat to be in the middle.
MyIslandGirls
by on Jan. 6, 2012 at 3:37 PM

My car is a 2001 Pontiac Sunfire and so the latch system on my car seat won't work. I have the top teether.. but not the bottom latches.  so i have to use a seat belt. I'd rather the latch because i can get a snugger fit that way.

I have a Radian XT and a Crappy Eddie Bauer 3 in 1

bookjunkie1214
by on Aug. 30, 2012 at 11:36 PM
1 mom liked this

i used latch unitl they kit 40 lbs though sometimes you can get a better install with seatbellt. i use which ever works best with the seat

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)