Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

alpha omega ellite question..

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2010 at 6:58 PM
  • 1 Replies
  • 269 Total Views

Is there a difference in brands...eddie bauer, costco, or safety first??

I am putting these car seats in my beetle.  I currently have a britax boulevard in there, but the top of the headrest almost touches the top back window.  We are going to put both boulevards in our envoy and the alpha omegas in the beetle.  What do you think??  They are for my 11 month old (22lbs) and my three year old (29 lbs).

by on Aug. 17, 2010 at 6:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-1):
carseatmama
by Member on Jan. 4, 2011 at 10:54 PM

Honestly?  I would not recommend an AOE or any type of three-in-one seat.  They try to do it all (RF, FF, and booster) and end up not doing any of them well.  They are incredibly hard to use and install properly.  They have very short top slots and most kids outgrow them height-wise by about age 3.  They make terrible booster seats and are consistently rated as "not recommended" seats.

It sounds like you currently have both kids FF.  Are you at all open to the possibility of having them ride RF?  The 11 month old must ride RF to at least age 1, and should ride RF as long as possible, as close to age 4 as possible.  The same goes for your 3 year old.  At 29 pounds your 3 year old is still under the RF weight limit for most seats on the market.  According to the American Academy of Pediatrics, all children should ride RF to the maximum RF weight limit of their convertible seat.  On the Boulevard, that limit is 35 pounds, so both kids should still be riding RF.

Riding RF reduces your child's risk of death by 500% versus riding FF, mainly due to the fact that a child's spine is not fully developed until age 4, and their head is about 25% of their total body weight until age 4.  The combination of a heavy head on a weak spine makes them very prone to spinal injury.  Riding RF all but eliminates the risk of spinal injury because of the way a RF seat works.  In a FF seat, however, the child's head can be thrown up to 32" off of their body in a 30 MPH crash.  In only takes 1/4" to snap their spinal cord.  

I would not recommend the 3-in-1 seats regardless of which direction the seats will be installed.  For RF seats, I would try the Graco My Ride, the Complete Air, and the Cosco Scenera or Air Protect (the models with a 50 lb. limit).  If you choose a FF only seat for your 3 year old, I would recommend trying the Evenflo Maestro or the Graco Nautilus.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)