Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Recommended Convertible Seats harness past 40lbs

Posted by on Jan. 14, 2008 at 6:05 PM
  • 19 Replies
  • 2568 Total Views

Here are some convertible seats that I usually recommend based on how long you can keep your child harnessed...the longer the better!!!

1--Britax Marathon/Boulevard/Decathlon.  These seats will RF to 35lbs.  They will FF, IN A HARNESS to 65lbs.   These seats run $200-$300.  There are small differences between them.  The Marathon is the basic model of the 65lb convertibles with a lift lever harness release--with quite a few different covers to choose from!  The Boulevard has "wings" called True Side Impact Protection.  It also has a harness adjustor knob that will move the harness without having to uninstall the seat.  It is about 1/2" shorter than the Marathon and the Decathlon.  The Decathlon has extra padding--the infant insert--and a push button harness release and 3 position crotch buckle settings. http://www.britaxusa.com/

2--Evenflo Triumph ADVANCE--harness to 35lbs RFing and 50lbs FFing.  It has the infinite harness adjustor (no slots), so you can easily lift two red tabs and move them.  This seat runs $129-$159, depending on which model.  The higher end model, the premier, has more padding.  http://www.toysrus.com/search/index.jsp?kwCatId=&kw=evenflo%20triumph%20advance&origkw=evenflo%20triumph%20advance&f=Taxonomy/TRUS/2255957&sr=1

3--Compass TrueFit--- It RF to 35lbs (with the headrest on and 22lbs without the headrest on) and FF to 65lbs.  It seems to be competitive to Britax convertibles. Runs about $179-$189.  They have several covers available.  http://www.amazon.com/Compass-True-Convertible-Seat-Monet/dp/B000YBIL4W/ref=pd_bbs_1?ie=UTF8&s=baby-products&qid=1200280582&sr=8-1

4--Sunshine Kids Radian 65 or 80--These seats will RF to 35lbs and FF to either 65lbs or 80lbs, depending on the seat.  These are the narrowest seats on the market, but have the highest incompatability with vehicles due to the low FF belt path.  Runs $180-$300.  www.skjp.com

5--Recaro Signo or Como--RF to 35lbs and FF to 70lbs.   These seats come in a variety of microfiber covers. They have true side impact protection, but the Como is VERY oddly shaped.  The shoulder area is 9" of space and the butt area is 11" of space, so unless you have a tall beanpole, this seat may be awkward for some children.  I haven't played with the Signo, so I don't know the measurements off the top of my head.  They are supposed to go to 59 or 60" tall---I dont' see it.  Runs $250.  http://www.recaro.com/index.php?id=3312&L=2

Most of these seats have a higher sticker price on them, BUT the seats that have the 40lbs harness limits, that are less expensive, usually only harness the child to maybe age 3-4.  AT that age, MOST children are not ready to go into a booster.  Bare minimum safety standards say that you can put a 4 year old AND 40lbs child in one, BUT being in a harness is MUCH safer....not just for children, but adults as well.

****Just remember that the right seat for you is one that your child fits in, it fits your vehicle AND you use it correctly each and every time.****

by on Jan. 14, 2008 at 6:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hallfamily54321
by on Feb. 11, 2008 at 3:01 PM
I was lookig into the sunshune kids radian 65.  I have noticed a lot of people say they have problems installing them in toyotas...What is the problem that people have with them?
CarSeatJunkie
by Group Owner on Feb. 11, 2008 at 4:26 PM
The biggest problem is that the buckle from the seatbelt enters the belt path of the carseat--that is a huge no-no.  Unfortunately, the Radian's belt path is VERY low, so this seems to happen more often than not with their seat.  (I need to get pictures to show everyone what I mean!!!).  Basically, if you have a LONG plastic cover OR a long webbed buckle (the part where you push the red button to release the seatbelt buckle), the Radian will likely NOT work in your vehicle.

If you have a USA Baby of a specialty store that carries the Radian near you, definitely try it out!!

Melissa                                                                                     Child Passenger Safety Technician, Sr checker, Instructor Candidate 

Need recommendations or read a carseat review? http://www.cafemom.com/group/34362/

Moderator at www.carseatdata.org

Click here for questions about Child Passenger Safety!http://z3.invisionfree.com/Carseats

Need help locating a carseat technician in your area?  Click here to find one!
https://ssl13.cyzap.net/dzapps/dbzap.bin/apps/assess/Webmembers/tool?pToolCode=TAB9&pCategory1=TAB9_CERTSEARCH&Webid=SAFEKIDSCERTSQL

"Each step up in carseats (going from rear facing 5 pt harness to forward facing 5pt harness to a booster to a seatbelt) is a step DOWN in safety!"

hallfamily54321
by on Feb. 13, 2008 at 9:38 AM

OK, so what your saying is when I thread the seatbelt through the back of the carseat and snap the belt together, the part that buckles is more or less "in" the carseat.  Meaning, its not next to the seat or closer to the actual seat of the van?

CarSeatJunkie
by Group Owner on Feb. 13, 2008 at 1:05 PM

Quoting hallfamily54321:

OK, so what your saying is when I thread the seatbelt through the back of the carseat and snap the belt together, the part that buckles is more or less "in" the carseat.  Meaning, its not next to the seat or closer to the actual seat of the van?

Exactly!  Now, if you have a buckle that is recessed into the seat , the likelihood of you being able to use the Radian and it work, is much higher.
hallfamily54321
by on Feb. 18, 2008 at 3:02 PM
What are your thoughts on the Evenflo?  I was all for the Radian, but I found out its made in China, and I really like buying things made in the USA.  Evenflo is made in the USA with some components made elsewhere.  Ive been reading that a lot of kids are growing out of their seats in height well before they hit the 65 pound limit on a lot of the seats.  I figure with the Evenflo its 50 pound limit...my son is 3 and is only 29 pounds...I figure I have some room before he is out by weight, but will most likely move out of the seat by height first...
rotara
by on Feb. 19, 2008 at 1:37 PM
I have a question regarding the marathon.  My 4yo is about 40 lbs.  I have the straps in top hole and I noticed the other day that the hole is about even with her shoulders.  Is it true that when a child is FF the strap has to be above the shoulder?  Is it time for us to move her out of the seat?  Any help would be great!  Thanks!

Come check out the auctions at Mommy Auctions

www.mommyauctions.com

CarSeatJunkie
by Group Owner on Feb. 19, 2008 at 1:38 PM

Quoting hallfamily54321:

What are your thoughts on the Evenflo?  I was all for the Radian, but I found out its made in China, and I really like buying things made in the USA.  Evenflo is made in the USA with some components made elsewhere.  Ive been reading that a lot of kids are growing out of their seats in height well before they hit the 65 pound limit on a lot of the seats.  I figure with the Evenflo its 50 pound limit...my son is 3 and is only 29 pounds...I figure I have some room before he is out by weight, but will most likely move out of the seat by height first...
I really like the Triumph Advance.  In fact, I have found that its shell  is slightly taller than the Marathon!
CarSeatJunkie
by Group Owner on Feb. 19, 2008 at 1:40 PM

Quoting rotara:

I have a question regarding the marathon.  My 4yo is about 40 lbs.  I have the straps in top hole and I noticed the other day that the hole is about even with her shoulders.  Is it true that when a child is FF the strap has to be above the shoulder?  Is it time for us to move her out of the seat?  Any help would be great!  Thanks!
You have yourself a VERY long torso'd little girl!!!!!  Yes, your child is about to outgrow her seat.  When her shoulders are consistently above the top harness slots, it is time for a new seat!  The tallest harnessing seat from the Marathon is the Regent.  It is about 2" taller than the Marathon.  The Nautilus will harness to 65lbs and it about 1-1.5" taller, but it converts into a booster!
diddey1805
by on Feb. 26, 2008 at 11:58 AM
I've been reading that with a forward facing child the shoulder straps should be above the shoulders so I made sure my son's were and they're not. So I went and looked at car seats. I put him in the Britax Marathon, but the straps were almost below his shoulders. He's 3 and weighs 40 pounds. From the top of his shoulders to the top of his butt area ( I guess the hips) was 15". What would be the best seat for him. I'd like to keep him in a 5 point harness since he can't unbuckle it and seems to be happy with it! Thank you!

diddey1805
by on Feb. 26, 2008 at 12:13 PM
I just read one of your other posts and found a seat I'm going to look at. It's the Graco Nautilus 3in1 multi use seat. I'm hoping it works. But I'm thinking about looking at the others to. If you  have any more you think might work please let me know. Thank you!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)