Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Recommended Convertible Seats harness past 40lbs

Posted by   + Show Post

Here are some convertible seats that I usually recommend based on how long you can keep your child harnessed...the longer the better!!!

1--Britax Marathon/Boulevard/Decathlon.  These seats will RF to 35lbs.  They will FF, IN A HARNESS to 65lbs.   These seats run $200-$300.  There are small differences between them.  The Marathon is the basic model of the 65lb convertibles with a lift lever harness release--with quite a few different covers to choose from!  The Boulevard has "wings" called True Side Impact Protection.  It also has a harness adjustor knob that will move the harness without having to uninstall the seat.  It is about 1/2" shorter than the Marathon and the Decathlon.  The Decathlon has extra padding--the infant insert--and a push button harness release and 3 position crotch buckle settings. http://www.britaxusa.com/

2--Evenflo Triumph ADVANCE--harness to 35lbs RFing and 50lbs FFing.  It has the infinite harness adjustor (no slots), so you can easily lift two red tabs and move them.  This seat runs $129-$159, depending on which model.  The higher end model, the premier, has more padding.  http://www.toysrus.com/search/index.jsp?kwCatId=&kw=evenflo%20triumph%20advance&origkw=evenflo%20triumph%20advance&f=Taxonomy/TRUS/2255957&sr=1

3--Compass TrueFit--- It RF to 35lbs (with the headrest on and 22lbs without the headrest on) and FF to 65lbs.  It seems to be competitive to Britax convertibles. Runs about $179-$189.  They have several covers available.  http://www.amazon.com/Compass-True-Convertible-Seat-Monet/dp/B000YBIL4W/ref=pd_bbs_1?ie=UTF8&s=baby-products&qid=1200280582&sr=8-1

4--Sunshine Kids Radian 65 or 80--These seats will RF to 35lbs and FF to either 65lbs or 80lbs, depending on the seat.  These are the narrowest seats on the market, but have the highest incompatability with vehicles due to the low FF belt path.  Runs $180-$300.  www.skjp.com

5--Recaro Signo or Como--RF to 35lbs and FF to 70lbs.   These seats come in a variety of microfiber covers. They have true side impact protection, but the Como is VERY oddly shaped.  The shoulder area is 9" of space and the butt area is 11" of space, so unless you have a tall beanpole, this seat may be awkward for some children.  I haven't played with the Signo, so I don't know the measurements off the top of my head.  They are supposed to go to 59 or 60" tall---I dont' see it.  Runs $250.  http://www.recaro.com/index.php?id=3312&L=2

Most of these seats have a higher sticker price on them, BUT the seats that have the 40lbs harness limits, that are less expensive, usually only harness the child to maybe age 3-4.  AT that age, MOST children are not ready to go into a booster.  Bare minimum safety standards say that you can put a 4 year old AND 40lbs child in one, BUT being in a harness is MUCH safer....not just for children, but adults as well.

****Just remember that the right seat for you is one that your child fits in, it fits your vehicle AND you use it correctly each and every time.****

by on Jan. 14, 2008 at 6:05 PM
Replies (11-19):
hallfamily54321
by on Feb. 27, 2008 at 10:24 AM

Quoting diddey1805:

I just read one of your other posts and found a seat I'm going to look at. It's the Graco Nautilus 3in1 multi use seat. I'm hoping it works. But I'm thinking about looking at the others to. If you  have any more you think might work please let me know. Thank you!

I went to walmart and looked at this seat and it looks awesome.  Im going to get it next when my second outgrows his current one.  I just bought the Evenflo triumph advance...which goes until 50 pounds but its not a booster.  I needed this one because I also will need a convertable again.  The Nautilus is only forward facing but looks great. 
hallfamily54321
by on Feb. 27, 2008 at 10:28 AM
I just bought the even flo triumph advance and in the book it states that you can use it until 50 pounds or until your childs shoulders are above the highest strap spot.  Now, the highest strap spot is pretty high up on the seat.  If my childs shoulders ever get up that high before 50 pounds, his head will be taller than the carseat!  Is this OK with this seat?  It didnt say anything about it, but there is only about 6 inches from the top harness spot to the top of the carseat...I dont think anyone has a shoulder to head measurement of that! 
diddey1805
by on Feb. 28, 2008 at 3:01 AM
I'm going saturday to look at this one. If this one doesn't work I'm not sure what I'll do! I want him in the 5 point harness still! If this one works then we're getting this one and giving his old one to his sister until we can get another one. There's nothing wrong with his, it's just that his shoulders are to high. I haven't looked up many more seats, but so far this is the ONLY one that looked like it might work.
Quoting hallfamily54321:

Quoting diddey1805:

I just read one of your other posts and found a seat I'm going to look at. It's the Graco Nautilus 3in1 multi use seat. I'm hoping it works. But I'm thinking about looking at the others to. If you  have any more you think might work please let me know. Thank you!

I went to walmart and looked at this seat and it looks awesome.  Im going to get it next when my second outgrows his current one.  I just bought the Evenflo triumph advance...which goes until 50 pounds but its not a booster.  I needed this one because I also will need a convertable again.  The Nautilus is only forward facing but looks great. 

hurleydoll18
by Member on May. 10, 2008 at 4:32 PM
I am sure you already have the answer to the question since this was written in Feb but I wanted to say that the car seat is outgrown 3 different ways when forrward facing
1.  They reach the weight limit OR
2.  The top of their shoulders come above the top harness slot OR
3.  The top of the ears become even with the top of the car seat shell
Quoting hallfamily54321:

I just bought the even flo triumph advance and in the book it states that you can use it until 50 pounds or until your childs shoulders are above the highest strap spot.  Now, the highest strap spot is pretty high up on the seat.  If my childs shoulders ever get up that high before 50 pounds, his head will be taller than the carseat!  Is this OK with this seat?  It didnt say anything about it, but there is only about 6 inches from the top harness spot to the top of the carseat...I dont think anyone has a shoulder to head measurement of that! 

4 out of 5 car seats are not installed properly!  Is yours one of them?  Find a tech in your area to get them checked
https://ssl13.cyzap.net/dzapps/dbzap.bin/apps/assess/Webmembers/tool?pToolCode=TAB9&pCategory1=TAB9_CERTSEARCH&Webid=SAFEKIDSCERTSQL

teeniepebbles
by on Jun. 25, 2008 at 9:00 AM
thanks for the suggestions... I went for the Britax Boulevard. It is WONDERFUL! I wish all babies could have one. It is so comfy for my little boy and I could NOT be happier with the safety features. It is very user friendly and has a RF capacity of 35 pounds!! LOVE LOVE LOVE it. Worth every single penny!!
mysonismyjoy
by on Oct. 9, 2008 at 6:40 PM

I have the Marathon and im just wondering at what height they need to be switched to a bigger seat?

Is there a height requirement? Our manual fell off while traveling.

msvkmv
by on Oct. 20, 2008 at 10:20 PM

My daughter has a regent and my son has a marathon. We are having another baby and want to stick with a britax seat. I want to skip the baby bucket and get a convertible seat from the beginning. My problem is that I can't make up my mind between the marathon, boulevard and decathlon. Can anyone help? They all have features that I like. What would you choose for a new baby?

pregnancy

webbsbaby
by on Nov. 20, 2008 at 7:56 PM

I have the graco confortsport convertable car seat in alesia. I am now thinking that i made the wrong choice. i bought this seat about 6 months ago and i now am not happy with it. the padding comes off really easy so my 15 month old pulls it off since it is only held on with streatch stuff. also i hate that it does not recline so my LOs head falls forward when she is sleeping which doesn't look comfy at all. i am interested in buying her a new seat but cant see spending the money on a britax so i am interested in the evenflo delux. does this seat recline back at all for more comfort and does the pad actually have a better way of staying on. also is it easy to adjust the straps because that was one of my worries whenbuying my seat the first time. i was also wondering how big my other LO on the way would need ot be to fit into it asi will be buying two one for each of them.

sorry i have so many questions just want ot make a better choice this time. thank you.

Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

Lilypie Expecting a baby Ticker
webbsbaby
by on Nov. 21, 2008 at 9:09 PM

Are the seats that are recomended in order from what you would reccomend or is their any order to your list.

Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

Lilypie Expecting a baby Ticker
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN