Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Forward Facing only seats that harness past 40lbs.

Posted by on Feb. 13, 2008 at 12:16 AM
  • 10 Replies
  • 1557 Total Views

Britax Regent-- they have about 5 different covers to choose from, but here is their girly girl one http://www.albeebaby.com/brreyocarse2.html.  These are the tallest, highest harnessing weight seats on the market (besides the special needs seats).  I own 2 of them and LOVE them.  They are HUGE seats, but, in my opinion, well worth the size and money.  They harness to 80lbs and around 53".   You must have a tether anchor for this seat.  If you do NOT have one in your vehicle (read your vehicle owners manual), you can likely have one retrofitted.  This has a 6 year life span.

Apex 65-- http://www.albeebaby.com/sa1stap65boc1.html This seat will harness to 65lbs, then turns into a booster to 100lbs.  The straps are about 2" shorter than the Regent.  WE have this seat in my hubbys truck and my daughter is on the top harness straps, but with room to grow.  You MUST have an adjustable headrest in your vehicle for this seat OR at least 33" high seatbacks.  This has a 6 year life span.

Graco Nautilus-- http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=8112222   It will harness to 65lbs, then booster to 100lbs.  Runs $150 and is GREAT!  The top harness slots are only about 1" shorter than the Regent's slots.  Nothing specific you have to do with this seat.  They are FLYING off WalMart shelves, so so so so worth the $150!!!!  this seat, when used in the harness mode and the high back booster mode have a life span of 6 years.  When using it as a backless booster, it has a 9 year life span.

Britax Frontier-- http://www.rightstart.com/global/search/default.aspx?keyword=britax%20frontier .  Harness from 25-80lbs, then booster to 100+lbs.  Runs $280.  There are 8 harness slots ranging from 12.25"-18.25".  3 crotch buckle positions.  Shorter and narrower than the Regent, but you will still be required to use a tether anchor from 65-80lbs.  It has a 9 year life span.

****Just remember that the right seat for you is one that your child fits in, it fits your vehicle AND you use it correctly each and every time.****

by on Feb. 13, 2008 at 12:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Cara5
by on Jun. 11, 2008 at 12:46 PM
1 mom liked this
I just wanted to add... The Radians (65 & 80) from sunshine kids are a great option too... a little pricy.. but if you need to put other car seats in around your extended harness seat this may be the only option in some cases because it is so narrow. 
hurleydoll18
by Member on Jun. 12, 2008 at 1:01 AM
I think she left that seat out because the post is for forward facing only seats.  Those two seats are convertible seats
Quoting Cara5:

I just wanted to add... The Radians (65 & 80) from sunshine kids are a great option too... a little pricy.. but if you need to put other car seats in around your extended harness seat this may be the only option in some cases because it is so narrow. 

4 out of 5 car seats are not installed properly!  Is yours one of them?  Find a tech in your area to get them checked
https://ssl13.cyzap.net/dzapps/dbzap.bin/apps/assess/Webmembers/tool?pToolCode=TAB9&pCategory1=TAB9_CERTSEARCH&Webid=SAFEKIDSCERTSQL

I am NOT a tech but I hope to be one someday.  I have learned from Techs and have done my research.  I know my shit!!!!

Cara5
by on Jun. 13, 2008 at 5:59 PM
ahh... so it is! Ive only had mine forward facing for along time now, i never think about them RF lol...sorry! 
hlplay82
by New Member on Sep. 20, 2008 at 11:46 PM
1 mom liked this

Not related directly to this post..., but where did you get you "Proud supported of extended harnessing" siggy?  I LOVE it!!!

Heather

Click here to read Becca's story!
Binks710508
by on Oct. 9, 2008 at 12:37 AM

I went to the site for the Apex65 and it says that it seatbelts 40-100, does your manual say that it can harness to 65? It does say you can LATCH until 65lb.  I copied the description below.

• LATCH equipped for forward-facing 22-65 lbs.
  • For children 40-100 lbs as belt positioning booster
  • Integrated five-point harness system with front adjuster that makes it easy to loosen and tighten belts from front of seat
  • Two-piece harness tie that keeps harness in position
  • Three-position adjustable headrest that accommodates your child up to 57"
  • Fixed armrests with soft covers
  • Detachable cup holder that can be used on either side of seat
  • Integrated shoulder belt guides in headrest
  • Extra padded toddler insert

I am currently trying to find the best option for our daughter...she is 42lb, 42in, and only 3 yrs. We have a Regent in my truck but I need something for my hubby's car (Honda civic). Was considering the Radian80. ANy suggestions of what is "best"?

gypsysmiles
by on Oct. 9, 2008 at 12:39 AM

Hmm... I noticed that too! As for what is best, why not try the Nautilus?

Quoting Binks710508:

I went to the site for the Apex65 and it says that it seatbelts 40-100, does your manual say that it can harness to 65? It does say you can LATCH until 65lb. I copied the description below.

• Integrated five-point harness system with front adjuster that makes it easy to loosen and tighten belts from front of seat

I am currently trying to find the best option for our daughter...she is 42lb, 42in, and only 3 yrs. We have a Regent in my truck but I need something for my hubby's car (Honda civic). Was considering the Radian80. ANy suggestions of what is "best"?

Join me at Retail Mamas! 

Binks710508
by on Oct. 9, 2008 at 12:46 AM

The Nautilus looks like a good one....can't seem to find the specs on child height though.  I'll try the Graco website. Zoey is so tall I am hesitant to have her in anything that doesn't give me growing room.

Such a hard decision. Anyone have the Radian80? Was going to order that until I found this post. Wonder how that compares to the Graco Naut. ugh.

hurleydoll18
by Member on Oct. 9, 2008 at 7:58 AM

This came from the Amazon site

From the Manufacturer
The Safety 1st Apexx 65 Deluxe high back belt-positioning booster is the children 22-100 pounds. Use the 5-point harness system up to 65 pounds.

It is only $99 there too.  I know for a fact that it harnesses to 65lbs.  You need the high head rests though in order to use it.  I would pick the Nautilus over the Apex any day though. 

Quoting Binks710508:

I went to the site for the Apex65 and it says that it seatbelts 40-100, does your manual say that it can harness to 65? It does say you can LATCH until 65lb.  I copied the description below.

Jazzysmomma
by New Member on Jan. 22, 2009 at 9:18 PM

What about the Recaro Como? Or any Recaro actually.

Recaro Como Convertible Car Seat

The Recaro Como Convertible Car Seat is one of the top models of convertible car seat to hit the market in quite some time. The car seat comes in four great colors which will fit in well with any car and is great for either a girl or a boy. This Recaro car seat has an ergonomic design and features heavy duty microfiber. The car seat is great for children up to about 8 years.

There are loads of safety features on the Como from Recaro. It is a Recaro seat which can combine safety and comfort. A top features is the adjustable headrest. The headrest offers protection to the child inside the convertible car seat and is adjustable to 5 different height positions to help accommodate a child up to 59 in. There are five different harness adjustments to make on the Recaro seat. It is also a convertible car seat which comes with the LATCH system for easier installation and also boasts a top teather for a safe installation. The car seat from Recaro is made of a heavy duty microfiber cover material.

Product Features
  • Convertible car seat is a universal restraint system for children
  • Como is a car seat from Recaro featuring a 5 point safety harness
  • Recaro car seat feautres the SIP System which offers side impact protection
  • Convertible car seat is LATCH equipped for easy installation
  • Adjustable harness for comfort with the Recaro seat
  • Car seat from Recaro features a protective back covering
  • Protective and adjustable headrest on the car seat
  • 5 Different headrest positions
  • Ergonomic shape is great for any car
  • Convertible car seat from Recaro is for children up to 8 years
  • Rear for children 5-35 lbs.
  • Forward facing 20-70 lbs.
  • For children 5-70 lbs.
  • Recaro seat is for children up to 59 in.
  • Weight of Como from Recaro car seat: 21 lbs.
  • Car seat is rear or forward facing
  • Dimensions of convertible car seat: 27 x 21 x 28 in.

^^from www.babyage.com

^^^from www.recaro.com

Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucket
CarSeatJunkie
by Group Owner on Feb. 1, 2009 at 2:48 PM

This is a convertible seat.  This post is for forward facing ONLY seats :)

Quoting Jazzysmomma:

What about the Recaro Como? Or any Recaro actually.

Recaro Como Convertible Car Seat

The Recaro Como Convertible Car Seat is one of the top models of convertible car seat to hit the market in quite some time. The car seat comes in four great colors which will fit in well with any car and is great for either a girl or a boy. This Recaro car seat has an ergonomic design and features heavy duty microfiber. The car seat is great for children up to about 8 years.

There are loads of safety features on the Como from Recaro. It is a Recaro seat which can combine safety and comfort. A top features is the adjustable headrest. The headrest offers protection to the child inside the convertible car seat and is adjustable to 5 different height positions to help accommodate a child up to 59 in. There are five different harness adjustments to make on the Recaro seat. It is also a convertible car seat which comes with the LATCH system for easier installation and also boasts a top teather for a safe installation. The car seat from Recaro is made of a heavy duty microfiber cover material.

Product Features
  • Convertible car seat is a universal restraint system for children
  • Como is a car seat from Recaro featuring a 5 point safety harness
  • Recaro car seat feautres the SIP System which offers side impact protection
  • Convertible car seat is LATCH equipped for easy installation
  • Adjustable harness for comfort with the Recaro seat
  • Car seat from Recaro features a protective back covering
  • Protective and adjustable headrest on the car seat
  • 5 Different headrest positions
  • Ergonomic shape is great for any car
  • Convertible car seat from Recaro is for children up to 8 years
  • Rear for children 5-35 lbs.
  • Forward facing 20-70 lbs.
  • For children 5-70 lbs.
  • Recaro seat is for children up to 59 in.
  • Weight of Como from Recaro car seat: 21 lbs.
  • Car seat is rear or forward facing
  • Dimensions of convertible car seat: 27 x 21 x 28 in.

^^from http://www.babyage.com/

^^^from http://www.recaro.com/

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)