Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Radian car seats? (piog)

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 4:17 PM
  • 5 Replies
  • 334 Total Views

Just curious if any one has used any of the Radian car seats with an infant? We are looking at getting 2 of the Radian 80 car seats for our boys so that we can manage to fit 3 car seats across the back seat without having to trade in my car. I was doing some more research on the Radian seats because even with 2 Radian seats and an infant carrier it will be a tight fit. Well, the Radian 80 goes from 5-80lbs...its a rear to forward facing car seat with a 5-point harness. I was just wondering if anyone has used one for an infant because this is what we are considering at the moment so we will just have 3 Radian car seats instead of trying to squeeze in 2 Radian and an Infant carrier. Any thoughts on this car seat are welcome but do not start arguing over car seats please. I am just looking for honest opinions on the Radian car seats so we can be informed before spending $200 per car seat. Thanks!

Here is the one I am looking at...they come in several color/pattern options but this is the only girly looking one they have....

Dee Dee
We're expecting baby #3!!!
Natalie Ann due May 17th 2009!

pregnancy week by week

Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

Lilypie 4th Birthday Ticker

http://www.babyzone.com/babynames/bnpoll.asp?pollid=130092

by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 4:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
DeputyWifeJen
by Member on Jan. 26, 2009 at 8:55 PM

This doesn't really answer your question and I don't have this seat, just wanted to let you know I have heard that this seat is very incompatible with lots of cars. So I would encourage you to go somewhere that will let you install it to try it out with your seat belts. It's something to do with the seatbelts not being able to tighten enough since the belt patch is a little short I think? I'm sure a tech can better explain. Otherwise I hear it's an awesome seat if it works with your car and is the narrowest, so you are on the right track. My only thoughts about not having an infant carrier is what do you do with baby in a restaurant? Before they can sit in a highchair it would have posed a problem for us (but we eat out a lot). Just some food for thought, good luck :)

Jen

CarSeatJunkie
by Group Owner on Feb. 1, 2009 at 2:59 PM

Yes, the Radian does fit newborns, just remember you MUST get that full 45 degree recline for her :)  also, try one in your vehicle before purchasing to make sure it is compatiable.

Cara5
by on Feb. 23, 2009 at 5:34 PM

As an owner of 3 radians I think its a fantastic idea.  However, unless you have very short very heavy kids dont waste your money on the radian 80, go for the radian 65.  Almost no kid is going to make it to 80lbs before they get too tall to use that seat.  My 7 year old just today moved from her radian 65 to a booster seat... and it was because she was too tall for the straps, shes still not 65lbs, not even soaking wet lol.

Second... the radian is only impossible with a few car, and I try to install mine in just about every car i can get my hands on to see if it will work (my friends think im nuts lol)  Yes, its a huge pain in the ass to get it installed in most cars, but i have not found any that are 'impossible' yet except for an older van with tall rigid belt stalks.  

A few things to think about...  The Radian is a very tall seat, and when it is at a 45 degree angle it may be a bit crowded in the front seat...but it beats having to buy a new car! 

Since you have a little bit of time before your baby I would go ahead and buy the boys a set of radian 65s (they are the EXACT same size as the 80s)  Install those two seats and then go to babys r us or somewhere else that lets you try out the install in your own car and try every infant seat they have... depending on what kind of car you have i bet you can find an infant seat that will fit between two radians.  You may have to find one that can be used without the base, but you may be able to find one that you can install the base and clip the seat in.   How wide is your backseat?  The radians take up 17 1/2 inches each. 

Lauren & Cara MOMS of SIX great kids!!! 

Hallmomma
by Member on Mar. 3, 2009 at 7:27 PM

Have you installed it in a toyota sienna yet?  How did it work?  

Quoting Cara5:

As an owner of 3 radians I think its a fantastic idea.  However, unless you have very short very heavy kids dont waste your money on the radian 80, go for the radian 65.  Almost no kid is going to make it to 80lbs before they get too tall to use that seat.  My 7 year old just today moved from her radian 65 to a booster seat... and it was because she was too tall for the straps, shes still not 65lbs, not even soaking wet lol.

Second... the radian is only impossible with a few car, and I try to install mine in just about every car i can get my hands on to see if it will work (my friends think im nuts lol)  Yes, its a huge pain in the ass to get it installed in most cars, but i have not found any that are 'impossible' yet except for an older van with tall rigid belt stalks.  

A few things to think about...  The Radian is a very tall seat, and when it is at a 45 degree angle it may be a bit crowded in the front seat...but it beats having to buy a new car! 

Since you have a little bit of time before your baby I would go ahead and buy the boys a set of radian 65s (they are the EXACT same size as the 80s)  Install those two seats and then go to babys r us or somewhere else that lets you try out the install in your own car and try every infant seat they have... depending on what kind of car you have i bet you can find an infant seat that will fit between two radians.  You may have to find one that can be used without the base, but you may be able to find one that you can install the base and clip the seat in.   How wide is your backseat?  The radians take up 17 1/2 inches each. 

dez_081
by on Apr. 18, 2009 at 3:07 AM

Quoting Hallmomma:

Have you installed it in a toyota sienna yet?  How did it work?  

We rented a 2009 Sienna a few months ago and had no problems with the Radian 65.  I thought we would since we had problems with it in a Rav4.

Quoting Cara5:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)