Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Soon to be EMT in need of advice!

Posted by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 2:04 PM
  • 3 Replies
  • 389 Total Views

I am currently in the EMT/ Paramedic program. I will be done with the EMT portion in about a month and am trying to prepare for the practical and national tests. Does anyone have any advice or information that might be useful to me for the tests. It's getting closer and I'm starting to get nervous about it because I don't know what to expect. Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks!!!!  =)

by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 2:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
by New Member on Nov. 13, 2009 at 10:51 AM

Well, from what I remember (it's been a few years :) just know your numbers. Know your trauma and medical algorithms. (the flow charts in the books) If the pt is breathing know what your next step would be. Same for the medical. Really study and have memorized the airway, heart anatomy. Also with airway, really understand how to treat and manage airways problems. 

DON'T OVERREAD THE QUESTIONS!! Go with your first instinct. I knew several very smart people who looked to deep into the questions and lost their way. just go with the information they give to you. Don't sit and ponder. you'll run out of time and question your answer to the question ;) My whole nat. registry was mostly scenarios.  Just really know your facts..... how would you treat a chemical burn? Where would you park the ambulance in the case of a hazardous spill? (up hill? upwind?) how would you treat a sucking chest wound? how would you treat a possible broken rib? Moist or dry bandage on your burns...1st 2nd 3rd..... and when you have a scenario you will be able to treat appropriately. 

Try to get babysitters so you can have uninterrupted study time... and GOOD LUCK!!

Please let us know how you did!!

by Member on Nov. 17, 2009 at 6:48 PM
1 mom liked this

i totally agree with pp......definitely know your DCAP-BTLS and SAMPLE is pretty much all "if this happens, then what do you do next?" type of situations. Know all areas- peds, geriatric, adult, cardiac, diabetic, etc. You have to know it all......i left thinking there was no way i passed, but did well! They make the test to make you think that....the test is built to continuously get harder as you do well.....just breathe, don't overthink, and go back to what you've been learning! Good luck! Hope you do well!!!!!!!

Angie    Austin   Hannah  Kalli    Addisyn

by on Nov. 19, 2009 at 10:53 PM

Drop out and go to nursing school instead... it pays better. LOL...

Ok seriously though...

A good trick is to check all of your "Critical Fail" options right before you walk in the room to test out your practicals. If you hit even one of those you fail.... so do a last minute quick look at what NOT to do while you are in there... LOL. (From personal experiance.... I recapped my needle in my Med Amin test and could not for the life of me figure out why I failed... only one I failed.... then a preceptor told me to check my Critical Fails, and Bam... duh. LOL)

It has been 7 years since my Basic so I can't really even remember what all you have to do.... My Paramedic was 5 years ago... so I kind of remember. Make sure you know your algorithms inside out and upside down. Verbalize EVERYTHING!! You can't just "think" it.... or show it.... they have to hear it in order for it to be counted as being done.

Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)