Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Job Offer

Posted by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 1:26 AM
  • 9 Replies
  • 387 Total Views

I got "hired" at a private service this week, after spending 4 hours there to take a 100 question test and oral interview and a practical assesment. I passed the backround check and the dmv review, now up for drug test and physical agility tests. I understand that they need to be sure that they are hiring the best people but come on a 100 question test before they let you interview I thought this was going a little overboard. Might go and try the other private service in another area to see what happens there (heard that they are hurting for emts), neither of these companies are in the area that i live in so either way i would be driving 30 miles each way to work. Not really thrilled with the part of town that i would be going to daily, and not really thrilled with the city period. and REALLY not thrilled with the starting pay, a whole whooping 7.59 an hour. I can make more than that waitressing 4 nights a week, but hey its a start to my medic right. Sorry about the long post but i had to vent since my darling fiance doesnt seem to want to listen.

by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 1:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Amiss67
by New Member on Jul. 5, 2009 at 1:43 AM

Wow! Where do you live that the pay is practically minimum wage?

beaugrl0824
by Member on Jul. 5, 2009 at 10:54 AM

Well I'll be an "intern" for 3 months befofe i become a certified through them then it will go up to $9

Quoting Amiss67:

Wow! Where do you live that the pay is practically minimum wage?

beaugrl0824
by Member on Jul. 11, 2009 at 2:19 PM

Decided not to take the job, but put my application into another private service, I feel more comfortable with this, and I know the area a lot better. Wish me luck 

ffmedicmom
by Member on Jul. 13, 2009 at 2:03 PM

Good luck!

Mel

MedicMommyAnne
by Member on Jul. 13, 2009 at 7:09 PM

Wow, that is a crazy process for a job, but at least you know the people they hire know their stuff, not to say that they aren't just book smart, but it is better than hiring complete idiots.  I hope you get the other job you applied for.  I can't imagine only making 7.59 an hour.  That is just nuts.  That is about what I made when I first started EMS, but that was back in the mid 90's.

beaugrl0824
by Member on Jul. 16, 2009 at 2:25 PM

Wish me luck have an interview tomorrow! 

MedicMom05
by New Member on Jul. 17, 2009 at 10:45 AM

Good luck on your interveiw so are you an EMT-B?

Linds(MedicMom05)

FireGirley
by New Member on Jul. 18, 2009 at 8:33 AM

Hi!

OMG, $7.59 is such a slap in the face for the job we do and the dangers that can come with it. We pay to get taught to be an EMT, pay for books , pay for lisencing, pay for con ed, re-lisencing, initial testing for the state. Then we are "glorified taxi drivers" if we work for a large private ambulance (AMR etc) that get minimum wage. GRRR!

If we go work for a private town, we are a "step up" but still risk the dangers of Hepatitis, AIDS, back injuries among various other injuries. Not that we dont risk that as a transport service, just less likely in a more controlled environment.

Why do we do it? The pay? Nope. I've been in EMS for 10 years, full time firefighter EMT-B for 5. I didnt get a raise this year and the way the economy is, maybe not next year, either. We do it for the community, the sense of giving back, the satisfaction of having a meaningful job and being able to help people.

I applaud the private services for testing their newer EMTs that dont have the street smarts yet, but also understand why some of the smaller towns dont take such action. Keep in mind that EMS is a very very small community where EVERYONE knows (thinks they know) EVERYONE. One mistake and you're branded as an "idiot" or a "good EMT". I swear, its like being in High School all over again with the rumors and gossip!

We just have to stay stong, do the best we can and learn from our mistakes. We will probably never be paid good wages for what we really do, but the sense of job satisfaction is strong for me....and I hope for all of you as well. My kids are proud of me...who could ask for more than that?

Yes, as a waitress you CAN make more money. I've been there. In fact waitressing was what helped me to get into this field! You will probably always need a second job (I was a single mom for a long time and it was just never enough) which is where waitressing can come in. EMS is flexible...especially per-diem (also better pay)

Use your time (if you ever go to the service) as a private service EMT to practice your basics, vitals....patient interviews, assessments etc. Remember to learn something everyday! Good luck with your endeavor and the beginning of your new carreer! The pay will never be great but it will always be something you will be proud of :)

Trish

Tricia Allen

Firefighter / EMT-B    S.A.F.E. Coordinator     East Brookfield Fire Dept.

Independent Pampered Chef Consultant    http://www.pamperedchef.biz/TriciaAllen

ChefTriciaA@yahoo.com

beaugrl0824
by Member on Jul. 18, 2009 at 9:52 AM

The interview went well, my skills assessment is next. I don't mind doing the testing, and additional training it will be good for me to become a better EMT. For some reason when I walked into the office it felt like a home and not just a business, I definitely think this is the better move for me. Can't wait to start and get some more experience under my belt. I've been volunteering for over a year now but we are a small department that doesn't have very many calls. Still might keep waitressing but who knows I might not need too. Thank you all for your words of wisdom and support!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)