Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How did you get your training?

Posted by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 2:32 AM
  • 11 Replies
  • 475 Total Views

Ok maybe I am totally wrong with this but it seems to me that some of you paid for your training yourselves. Most of the departments where I am from if you join they pay for your emt training and much more. My department will even pay for my paramedic training. Like I said maybe I am wrong but I would be interested in hearing how you got your training 

by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 2:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mommy_Foster
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 5:30 PM

I took my Basic during High school and my high school paid for it.

I then went to a Community College to get my Paramedic. I paid for it. There are some volunteer services in the area who pay for schooling, however I run on a FT paid service and not a volunteer service. I also got a 2 year degree with my Paramedic so that I could continue on my education in the future which I am planing on doing this Spring! going on to RN then to BSN.

Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker

pregnancy

angiko97
by Member on Jul. 29, 2009 at 5:59 PM
I paid for mine as well...Mine was about 900 each semester ( 2 semesters) plus text books, testing fees, licensing fees, and uniform fees...It was expensive!!! And I get find a job now...grrrr.....I was going to go on to medic next fall, but I'm thinking about going straight into nursing just because of the job opportunities! I loved what I learned and loved the clinicals though so we'll see. I just need something to come out of the training! Especially since it came out of my pocket!

Angie    Austin   Hannah  Kalli    Addisyn

Mommy_Foster
by on Jul. 29, 2009 at 6:28 PM

My advice is to go into nursing. SOOOO many more opportunities then EMS... unless you are really into the fire side of things. I would say nursing. I have been a paramedic for 4 years and am going to start nursing school this coming spring or fall.

Quoting angiko97:

I paid for mine as well...Mine was about 900 each semester ( 2 semesters) plus text books, testing fees, licensing fees, and uniform fees...It was expensive!!! And I get find a job now...grrrr.....I was going to go on to medic next fall, but I'm thinking about going straight into nursing just because of the job opportunities! I loved what I learned and loved the clinicals though so we'll see. I just need something to come out of the training! Especially since it came out of my pocket!

Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker

pregnancy

darcibeisheim
by Member on Jul. 30, 2009 at 3:41 PM

We are volunteer service and the village picks up the tab as long as we sign a contract to run with the department for so many years depending on the level of training. A basic signs for 1 year, an intermediate for 2. Any refresher is 1 year. They won't pay for medic. I am starting Intermediate class in August. Once I finish that, my cheif wants to get me into the instructor class, which she will get the village to cover the cost also.

ApachePunk
by Member on Aug. 2, 2009 at 6:06 PM

I paid for mine.

Around here, you pay to become an EMT - unless you go through a fire fighter recruit class, and they pay for all the training, including the EMT....but you're a fire fighter, so....

As an EMT you can get hired by places that either offer medic school through their service, or will pay for it...then you get medic paid for....but you have to be a basic already to get hired in the first place.

I don't know of anywhere that offers EMT Basic for free by hireing you then training you, around here.

mommaslilman06
by on Aug. 2, 2009 at 6:12 PM

im with a volunteer company and they paid for my emt-b training. if i wanted to do more they would pay for it (ivt, paramedic, hazmat ect) they even pay for us to go to this thing called pyramid every year. its this big convention like thing that has a bunch of different training courses and sneak peaks at things. get a ton of ceu's from it too. and no contracts to sign just try to make as many hours a month as you can. i really need to find time to get on the box again =(

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers        PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

beaugrl0824
by Member on Aug. 3, 2009 at 2:14 AM

Quoting mommaslilman06:

im with a volunteer company and they paid for my emt-b training. if i wanted to do more they would pay for it (ivt, paramedic, hazmat ect) they even pay for us to go to this thing called pyramid every year. its this big convention like thing that has a bunch of different training courses and sneak peaks at things. get a ton of ceu's from it too. and no contracts to sign just try to make as many hours a month as you can. i really need to find time to get on the box again =(

That is to a T of what it is like here, We are planning to go to albany in october for Pulse Check. Since it is considered training for us they will reinbursh us for the hotel and mileage, and some food. I can't wait to go they are having a firefighter rehab seminar that I really want to go too because our firefighter rehab is severly lacking sometimes by virtue of lacking EMT's. Whatever I learn I will bring back to the rescue squad

MedicMommyAnne
by Member on Aug. 6, 2009 at 3:55 PM

I was a volunteer when I went through EMT class and it was free for anyone who volunteered for an ambulance or fire company in the county.  All I had to do was pay for books, but I was reimbursed by the ambulance company.  When I went to Paramedic class I had to pay for it myself.  I think it was only like $800 back then.  It is $3600 now where I went.  crazy how prices change over the years

Richmond14
by New Member on Nov. 21, 2011 at 1:30 AM

I paid for my basic school, if i wanted to go farther, my volunteer dept would pay for it as long as i would volunteer so many hours and so forth for them. Im not sure how it works with the paid company i work for yet, havent been here very long yet:)

Ladybugemt
by Group Owner on Apr. 10, 2012 at 10:58 PM
I'm paying for it but mine is non traditional and it's an online self paced course!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)