Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

type 1 diabeties and 38 weeks pregnant

Posted by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 7:42 AM
  • 6 Replies
  • 334 Total Views

i was hoping that some of you could share your experiences with me.

my doctors want to induce me within the next week or so, but at my last appointment my baby hadnt dropped enough for this to be done safely, i was told that if it hasnt dropped enough then i will be booked for a c-section, but with this i understand my baby might be born with low blood sugar and may need the special care nursery, i was wondering if you had anything to share, did you have a  c-section? if so how long was it before you could go and be with your baby if they needed the special care nursery? how long did it take to get the babies blood sugar back to normal? were you able to take the baby home with you when you left hospital? i am freaking out a little.

by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 7:42 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
mpace89
by on Jun. 14, 2010 at 9:31 AM

check out the sixuntilme website.  Kerri just had a baby via c-section and she talks all about the pregnancy and post-op.  Good Luck!

deedon
by on Jun. 14, 2010 at 8:16 PM

Hi, I did have diabetes when i had my kids.  I'm just type 2 but a former pastor's wife at my church had hers and everything went good, the baby had jaundice so had to stay under the bilrubin lights.  Take care...

soccerchik8287
by on Jun. 20, 2010 at 5:27 PM

I am type 1, and had a csection at 37weeks, unplanned. I was in early labor and it was like the doctors just decided out of nowhere, for no reason, to do a csection -- I wish now I had insisted on them letting me just have my daughter naturally. Remember they can't force you to do anything you don't want to do! My daughters blood sugar was low when she was born -- but I was told that happens often with diabetic babies no matter how they are born, c-section or naturally. Their bodies have been dependent on their mommies for so long it takes a while for them to adjust to having their own pancrease work, type thing. My daughter was taken away for about 4hrs to a nursery, but really all they did was give her her baby shots, and hook her up to an IV of sugar water. I believe if I'd been in a larger more experienced hospital, they wouldn't have had to keep her that long. My daughter had the IV in for about 2days and they pricked her foot to check her blood sugar every 4hrs for those 2days. It only took about 8hrs for her sugars to stay become normal though. They just didn't want to take the IV out and then have her sugar drop, and have to try to put it back in. We were in the hospital for 4days and we were able to take her home with us when we left. She did have jaundice, but that was more because she was early than because she was a diabetics baby. If you have any more questions feel free to ask, I don't mind sharing. Congrats though!!!

RBJN
by on Jun. 24, 2010 at 4:48 PM

I am type 1 and had both my babies as a diabetic.  Usually the standard is that they try to induce labor early due to diabetics sometimes having issues with the placenta breaking down faster.  I think most dr's try to induce around 38 weeks.  Some dr's prefer c-sections cause alot of inductions don't work and they end up having to do a c-section anyway (so alot of work to induce, only to have to change plans and do a c-section).    My baby hadn't dropped, nor was I very dialated before the induction...thus the reason I don't think it worked.  She just wasn't ready to come out.  Yet....she had no NICU time, breasfed like a champ, and was a good, healthy 9 lbs 2 ozs at birth.  She came home with me about 5 days after birth. We had to stay a few extra days cause she need light therapy for jaundice.  She's perfect......and is 5 years old now :)

My first was an induction around 39+ weeks that didn't work.  Ended up having a c-section...she did NOT have any issues and was never taken to NICU.  Some hospitals have policies that say that babies of diabetics HAVE to go to NICU for observation.  Even so......if they do take baby to NICU I can almost bet they won't keep the baby for long.  I think my first had to have a bottle of sugar water....but that was it.  They just check their bs's alot and make sure they are stable.

My 2nd was pre-term labor at 32 weeks....so that doesn't count!  :)

Morita-Michelle
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 10:40 PM

BUMP!

fulloflife175
by on Jul. 15, 2010 at 7:53 AM

well my daughter ended up coming all by herself without any assitance. i had a natural birth. but the nurses would not allow me to have any of my insulin during labour and the also put my on a drip full of sugar, i keep insisting they take the drip out and let me have my insulin. my baby girl was born with low blood sugar and had to be in the nursery for about 4 days, she had a feeding tube and a drip, it broke my heart to see my tiny little baby like this and i cried about it every time i seen her. but we are both home now and doing well. thank you for sharing your stories with me =)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)