Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How long have you had Diabetes?

Posted by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 8:18 PM
  • 8 Replies
  • 196 Total Views

When were you first diagnosed? 

Do you have Type 1 or Type 2 ? 

I was recently diagnosed in June as Type 2. I had a 6.6 level and was told to start a 1,800 calorie diet and to watch my sodium intake as I have high blood pressure and take two meds for that. 

I check my blood sugar levels once a day in the mornings before breakfast. I am to try to stay within the 100-130 level and so far have been able to and have gotten down to the 80's and 90's some days. 

I am supposed to start a class on nutrition and on how to manage diabetes, not sure when I will attend those classes as I am waiting for that referral from my doctor to go through. 

It sure is a lifestyle change in a way but its stopped me from drinking a 2 liter of Pepsi every day or every day and a half. I feel thats the reason I have diabetes as I would rather drink that then water, even though I did drink water as I do now.....it wasn't enough apparently! 

Do you find that you now and then treat yourself to a few favorite old foods you are to avoid? Just a bite of something just to taste it again? Or do you not have that food or drink because it might make your sugars go up? 

I am allergic to the aspartame, phenylananine and sucrolose and that's in everything low calorie and diet! So I can't have those yogurts or chewing gum to diet drinks. It will set me off with a migraine and make me sick and I avoid those at all costs. Ive tried to get past that but when I have a reaction like that to the drinks or even yogurts, my Doctor says not to try them again, not worth getting sick over. 

Any special diet you are to follow? Anything that you have to avoid food or drink wise too?

by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 8:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
deedon
by Sandra on Jul. 9, 2011 at 9:51 AM

I can't remember how long it's been since I was diagnosed.  I have type 2 my highest reading are usually in the morning.  I've not been good about following the diet but now I see a dietican for stomach issues. So now my diet is very limited.  I usually drink 1 cup of decaf. with 1 packet of reg. sugar and 1 packet of truvia. I really miss that morning cup of good coffee.  I have been eating 1 slice of peanut butter toast with sliced bananas.

I do drink 1 coke a day and sometimes a diet coke. I try to watch my carbs.  I have been to the diabetes classes they give you lots of information.

LilyPondOasis
by Lily - Group Owner on Jul. 9, 2011 at 1:42 PM

Hey deedon!! ( I know you!! *S* ) 

Thanks for your post! 

I too still have to have that morning coffee as well as one late at night. Ive been able to keep my blood sugar levels between 88 and 120 so far. 

It's been a little tough for me to follow that regimen every day, but I do eat most of whats on my list. I have carrots and hummus to snack on. I have about 6 baby carrots and some of the hummus, not alot. The prices for the apples and oranges were just too much for me and I didn't buy them last week. I am sure next week they will be cheaper. 

Like you I would rather have the banana and peanut butter but Im not much of a bread person unless I have a sandwich. 

Im not sure when I will get the diabetes classes set up but Ive read quite a bit online so I may pass on those. Its just so overwhleming still for me. 

I am guilty of the liquid coffee creamer ( intl delights french vanilla ) but Ive cut back on how much.....and the soda....Ive not had any today which is a good thing. I have a few cans in the cabinet......out of sight out of mind  maybe...thats for when I really want one. I have 24 bottles of Zypherhills water thats calling me......LOL So I need to drink that. I have them in plain site and a few chilling in the fridge and freezer!

Thanks for posting! 

Quoting deedon:

I can't remember how long it's been since I was diagnosed.  I have type 2 my highest reading are usually in the morning.  I've not been good about following the diet but now I see a dietican for stomach issues. So now my diet is very limited.  I usually drink 1 cup of decaf. with 1 packet of reg. sugar and 1 packet of truvia. I really miss that morning cup of good coffee.  I have been eating 1 slice of peanut butter toast with sliced bananas.

I do drink 1 coke a day and sometimes a diet coke. I try to watch my carbs.  I have been to the diabetes classes they give you lots of information.

Alieda
by on Jul. 13, 2011 at 2:23 PM

I was told I had it around July 5th 2007 the doctor run the test as part of a check up so I could have my  back operated  Mt A1C at that time was 10.8 but it is now  7.1 The last two reading it has been there up from 6.1.  I eat 31 crabs at meal time and 15 crabs at snack times. I take oral meds , exercise and try to watch my diet.

Vssugarbooger
by Elyse on Sep. 27, 2011 at 12:18 PM

type 1 and i was diaginosed when i was 21 years old. i am on insulin and am on sliding scale for my humlog and 20 units of lantus at night. i was just told i have high blood pressure and have been put on medicine for that.

ZazaGoszzy
by on Oct. 31, 2011 at 10:35 AM

I have type 1 and i was diagnosed when i was 2 years old. I'm on an insulin pump so i watch my carb intake

Chibi_Kitten
by on Jan. 26, 2012 at 1:10 AM

Hi, I'm Krystal and I'm a happily married mom of two and stepmom of two. My husband is Type 2 Diabetic and, I'm not going to lie, we both eat like crap. The kids eat much better than we do, which is good, and we're trying to eat healthier but it's a process and it's taking a lot longer to get into healthy habits than I had expected. My husband also has depression and is accident prone, as are me and our two kids, and there's been a lot of traumatic stress recently that we're dealing with in addition to everything else.

I joined this group tonight because I need help/advice and support in getting into healthy habits for my husband's sake, as well as for myself and our kids. Thank you for letting me join. :)

Vssugarbooger
by Elyse on Apr. 30, 2012 at 10:28 AM

i was dx when i was 21 years old. so i have haad it 15 years. and i am a brittle type 1

TraceyMR
by on May. 9, 2012 at 10:29 AM

I was diagnosed with Type1 in October 2000. I manage to check my sugars some days but not others when I'm bad/lazy. Other times when I'm good, I check up to ten times a day, before and after meals and snacks. I need to check a minimum of 5 times a day, as I pump. I am ttc so I need to avoid highs right now.

Because I am lucky enough to have great coverage, I am on an insulin pump. I eat whatever I want, in moderation. I can have all the bad food I desire, but it comes at a cost of insulin and more closely testing to watch for spikes or lows. I can go for weeks without treating myself to the bad things.

I count carbs, and measure EVERYTHING I eat. I bought a digital scale at Target, and I measure out and record my food and take insulin for it. If i want more, I bolus more.

I never drink non-diet soda. It tastes too sweet now. I don't drink juices. I've given up most sweet drinks and that helps in keeping my sugars down. I drink water, coffee, milk (soy and cow). When I want variety, I will make teas. I get headaches when I drink too much aspartame, so I stick with splenda.

Black bean brownies and something I want to try. They're supposed to be healthier and taste as good as real brownies but with less sugar.

All of my habits are based on my insulin pump. If I had to do shots again, my diet would be restricted.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)