Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How long have you had Diabetes?

Posted by   + Show Post

When were you first diagnosed? 

Do you have Type 1 or Type 2 ? 

I was recently diagnosed in June as Type 2. I had a 6.6 level and was told to start a 1,800 calorie diet and to watch my sodium intake as I have high blood pressure and take two meds for that. 

I check my blood sugar levels once a day in the mornings before breakfast. I am to try to stay within the 100-130 level and so far have been able to and have gotten down to the 80's and 90's some days. 

I am supposed to start a class on nutrition and on how to manage diabetes, not sure when I will attend those classes as I am waiting for that referral from my doctor to go through. 

It sure is a lifestyle change in a way but its stopped me from drinking a 2 liter of Pepsi every day or every day and a half. I feel thats the reason I have diabetes as I would rather drink that then water, even though I did drink water as I do now.....it wasn't enough apparently! 

Do you find that you now and then treat yourself to a few favorite old foods you are to avoid? Just a bite of something just to taste it again? Or do you not have that food or drink because it might make your sugars go up? 

I am allergic to the aspartame, phenylananine and sucrolose and that's in everything low calorie and diet! So I can't have those yogurts or chewing gum to diet drinks. It will set me off with a migraine and make me sick and I avoid those at all costs. Ive tried to get past that but when I have a reaction like that to the drinks or even yogurts, my Doctor says not to try them again, not worth getting sick over. 

Any special diet you are to follow? Anything that you have to avoid food or drink wise too?

by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 8:18 PM
Replies (21-27):
countryblonde
by New Member on Feb. 11, 2015 at 9:37 AM
If there is ever anything you want to know about type 1 feel free to ask. Im a open book. And pretty well versed after 18 years lol

Quoting MissMackiesgg:

Great to know.

Quoting countryblonde: My pump is amazing. I would never go back to how it was before it.In the first 3 months I had it my a1c went from over 9 to 6.6 . It has truely been a life saver for me. It's made it possible for me and my SO to start trying to have a baby. And I feel so much better all around. I know ro a lot of people it seems intimidating because I was the same way. But now I couldn't go back!

Quoting MissMackiesgg:

I can not imagine being a kid and wanting to be able to do and eat what all the other kids did. I am glad that your bs is under control. My mom would have to take steroids when her breathing problems would get bad and her sugar always went way up. You are the first person that I have known on a pump. Does that work really well or were your sugars better when you had to do it yourself?

welcomeWelcome aboard and please let me know if I can help you find info or something for you that is not already here. And please feel free to post whenever you want.

Quoting countryblonde:

I was diagnosed at 10. I am now 27 almost 28. I am on humalog with an insulin pump. My SO and i are curently trying to concive. My diabetes is well managed except for today and yesterday after a stariod injection in my hip.......im suffering today

MissMackiesgg
by Owner on Feb. 11, 2015 at 9:44 AM

Please feel free to post questions and answers, great videos, articles. anything you want, that you think will be helpful. We can all use more knowledge.

Quoting countryblonde: If there is ever anything you want to know about type 1 feel free to ask. Im a open book. And pretty well versed after 18 years lol
Quoting MissMackiesgg:

Great to know.

Quoting countryblonde: My pump is amazing. I would never go back to how it was before it.In the first 3 months I had it my a1c went from over 9 to 6.6 . It has truely been a life saver for me. It's made it possible for me and my SO to start trying to have a baby. And I feel so much better all around. I know ro a lot of people it seems intimidating because I was the same way. But now I couldn't go back!
Quoting MissMackiesgg:

I can not imagine being a kid and wanting to be able to do and eat what all the other kids did. I am glad that your bs is under control. My mom would have to take steroids when her breathing problems would get bad and her sugar always went way up. You are the first person that I have known on a pump. Does that work really well or were your sugars better when you had to do it yourself?

welcomeWelcome aboard and please let me know if I can help you find info or something for you that is not already here. And please feel free to post whenever you want.

Quoting countryblonde:

I was diagnosed at 10. I am now 27 almost 28. I am on humalog with an insulin pump. My SO and i are curently trying to concive. My diabetes is well managed except for today and yesterday after a stariod injection in my hip.......im suffering today

michiganmom116
by Member on Feb. 11, 2015 at 11:22 AM

I had GD with 4 of my 5 pregnancies.  I was dx as a type 2 diabetic 1 year after my last baby was born, so it's 14 years now that I've been diabetic.  I followed all of the diabetic diet recommendations and my diabetes became uncontrollable even with oral meds and insulin, so in March of 2011 I started what most people think is a radical diet, the paleo/primal diet.  It made total sense for me to avoid carb heavy foods/starches, which is what the diet eliminates.  This diet works.  I now have better control as long as I stick to it.  I was told by my doctor that I'll never be able to completely eliminate the use of meds, but managing my diabetes is still easier by eating this way.

My mom was dx with type 1 diabetes at 11 years old...she will be 70 this year.  I have to say, managing type 2 diabetes is harder than her type 1...although she would disagree.  LOL

Alieda
by Member on Feb. 11, 2015 at 2:30 PM
Lannie ex wife is a type one was told at ten years old she was ,she has said that she thinks she has a easier time with hers because it is all she has ever known. Not like a type two who use to eat and drink anything they please and never had to take meds too. Just another person take on it.

Quoting michiganmom116:

I had GD with 4 of my 5 pregnancies.  I was dx as a type 2 diabetic 1 year after my last baby was born, so it's 14 years now that I've been diabetic.  I followed all of the diabetic diet recommendations and my diabetes became uncontrollable even with oral meds and insulin, so in March of 2011 I started what most people think is a radical diet, the paleo/primal diet.  It made total sense for me to avoid carb heavy foods/starches, which is what the diet eliminates.  This diet works.  I now have better control as long as I stick to it.  I was told by my doctor that I'll never be able to completely eliminate the use of meds, but managing my diabetes is still easier by eating this way.

My mom was dx with type 1 diabetes at 11 years old...she will be 70 this year.  I have to say, managing type 2 diabetes is harder than her type 1...although she would disagree.  LOL

michiganmom116
by Member on Feb. 11, 2015 at 3:45 PM

My mom's seems easier because all she has to do is take insulin and her sugar levels seem to come out right.  With me, I can take insulin and oral meds...but hormones, stress, lack of sleep, etc. all screw with my blood sugar levels.

Quoting Alieda: Lannie ex wife is a type one was told at ten years old she was ,she has said that she thinks she has a easier time with hers because it is all she has ever known. Not like a type two who use to eat and drink anything they please and never had to take meds too. Just another person take on it.
Quoting michiganmom116:

mrs.miller89
by New Member on Mar. 25, 2015 at 12:30 PM
I was diagnosed right before Christmas in 2000, so a little over 14 years now, with type 1. I was 11.

I'm on an insulin pump and my doctor is pretty liberal so as long as I keep my sugars in control I eat and drink what I want. I was drinking regular soda for a few years but cut it out because it cuts down on insulin usage and makes me feel better. I do still drink way too much diet though.
mrs.miller89
by New Member on Mar. 25, 2015 at 3:28 PM
1 mom liked this
Everything that screw with your blood sugar levels screw with the blood sugar levels of a type 1 too, but I tend to agree with you. As a type 1 I can eat what I want and just take insulin for it. It doesn't always come out right for me though. Being sick, not being hydrated enough, stress, infection, etc. all make it harder for my body to absorb the insulin. I think it's hard for us all in different ways.

Quoting michiganmom116:

My mom's seems easier because all she has to do is take insulin and her sugar levels seem to come out right.  With me, I can take insulin and oral meds...but hormones, stress, lack of sleep, etc. all screw with my blood sugar levels.

Quoting Alieda: Lannie ex wife is a type one was told at ten years old she was ,she has said that she thinks she has a easier time with hers because it is all she has ever known. Not like a type two who use to eat and drink anything they please and never had to take meds too. Just another person take on it.

Quoting michiganmom116:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN