Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Children with diabetes.

Posted by on Nov. 7, 2011 at 10:39 PM
  • 10 Replies
  • 251 Total Views
Hi. I am not on here very often, but I had a few questions I hoped I could get answers with. I recently found out that my 4 year old DS could be a diabetic and probably has been since birth. My mom is a diabetic, but she takes a pill. If my DS is, will I have to give him insulin shots??? How old were you or your children when you/they were diagnosed with diabetes??? Insulin shots or just maintaining a healthy diet??? I am scared to find out whether or not I will have to give him a shot. Any suggestions???
by on Nov. 7, 2011 at 10:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LilyPondOasis
by on Nov. 8, 2011 at 8:56 AM

Hello there. Thanks for posting. 

I was recently diagnosed as a Type 2 diabetic and control mine with diet. Ive brought my blood sugar levels down from 6.6 to 5.8 within 3 months watching my diet. 

If you like, I can post a bulletin and hopefully other members whom are a bit active in the group will read this and can offer some advice.

I pray you will not have to give him a shot. I would hate to have to give my son whom is 7 one as well. I understand your fear there hun. 

Just let me know if you would like me to send out a bulletin. I hope some one can be of more help in doing so.

Take care!

wesleysmommy411
by on Nov. 8, 2011 at 10:42 PM
I would love that. He is 4 and we don't allow him to eat candy anyway, and we are very health conscious. We eat almost everything we can organic. My mother has it and a lot of my other family members have/had it except for me. I was kind of expecting him to get diabetes, but definitely not ready for it with him so young. Any help/advice anyone could give would be great!!! Thanks.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LilyPondOasis
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 12:15 AM

Will do. 

You are welcome! Hopefully we'll get some posts going for you and some advice as well. 

Quoting wesleysmommy411:

I would love that. He is 4 and we don't allow him to eat candy anyway, and we are very health conscious. We eat almost everything we can organic. My mother has it and a lot of my other family members have/had it except for me. I was kind of expecting him to get diabetes, but definitely not ready for it with him so young. Any help/advice anyone could give would be great!!! Thanks.

Jadegirl1819
by New Member on Nov. 9, 2011 at 1:04 PM

What Type of Diabetes is the doctor thinking your son has?  I don't understand how they wouldn't know for sure...  Is it one of the rare types?  Type 1 would have been diagnosed long ago if he had it since birth.  You can't live with untreated Type 1.  Type 2 isn't usually diagnosed in young children.  There are other lesser known types and some are treated with insulin and others with pills.

wesleysmommy411
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 7:23 PM
The hospital thinks it may be type 1. I am still waiting for an appointment from the endocrinologist. I watch his diet VERY well. In 2 years I have had to rush him to the er or dehydration (which I still don't understand how he gets dehydrated with as much water as he drinks) and they drew blood both time. His sugar level the first time was 322 and the second time was 207. He has had other days that he has been sick like when I took him to the hospital, but just for an hour or two. When he throws up more than 4 or 5 times is when I take him in. Other than that I can take care of it at home. I don't have a sugar meter for him so I am not sure how high his sugar gets at home.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jadegirl1819
by New Member on Nov. 10, 2011 at 11:52 AM

Jeeze, where do you live that has a hospital that would send him home with high numbers like that?  I just don't know if I believe that.  You can't manage Type 1 through diet alone.  Does he have a pediatrician?  You need to get him in or you are risking his life or he is going to have lifelong complications. 

Quoting wesleysmommy411:

The hospital thinks it may be type 1. I am still waiting for an appointment from the endocrinologist. I watch his diet VERY well. In 2 years I have had to rush him to the er or dehydration (which I still don't understand how he gets dehydrated with as much water as he drinks) and they drew blood both time. His sugar level the first time was 322 and the second time was 207. He has had other days that he has been sick like when I took him to the hospital, but just for an hour or two. When he throws up more than 4 or 5 times is when I take him in. Other than that I can take care of it at home. I don't have a sugar meter for him so I am not sure how high his sugar gets at home.

wesleysmommy411
by on Nov. 11, 2011 at 11:08 PM
We had an over night stay and they monitered his sugar the whole time. it ended up going back down. I took him to the pediatrician and I am still waiting on Texas childrens hospital in Houston to call me back for the appointment to fully diagnose him. The hospital I took him to wasn't able to do it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jadegirl1819
by New Member on Nov. 12, 2011 at 8:46 AM

Don't wait on them to call you.  Keep calling them until you get an appointment.  Talk to your pediatrician to find another name for a pediatric endo.  Your ped. should even call and talk to a ped. endocrinologist to get you in.  You can't just sit back and wait for someone to call you.  You are the one that knows your son might have a dangerous disease.  It's your responsibility.   I just don't understand why you weren't given a prescription for a meter and strips if they thought it could be Diabetes. 

Quoting wesleysmommy411:

We had an over night stay and they monitered his sugar the whole time. it ended up going back down. I took him to the pediatrician and I am still waiting on Texas childrens hospital in Houston to call me back for the appointment to fully diagnose him. The hospital I took him to wasn't able to do it.

LilyPondOasis
by on Nov. 12, 2011 at 8:48 AM

I would get a prescription for the meter or go buy his own and get the test strips.

I have the ContourTS, its a pretty cheap one for under $20.00.

Bayer Contour TS Blood Glucose Monitoring System (Mail Order) 

This way you can test him at home. I would get one ASAP to test him every day.

I only have to test mine once a day but to be on the safe side testing him at home you can see where his sugars are at.

Good luck sweety! I hope you can get his sugars down and the Docs see your son soon. I am sure he will need to be monitored more and have insulin to help control. But Im not a doctor.......I pray they get it under control as those numbers are way high for a child.

Mine have never been over 160. 

♥HUGS♥ take care!!

ZazaGoszzy
by on Nov. 24, 2011 at 12:20 PM

I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at the age of 2... and he will most likely have to take insulin... find a pediatric endocrinologist... monitor his bg levels, good diet... like everyone has told you. One thing that you need to do is support him as much as you can. It was hard growing up with diabetes, and many times I felt left out because I am a diabetic. Also, kids can be cruel. When they don't know about something they can get mean. Just be there for your son.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN