Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My mom was just diagnosed with Type II

Posted by on Nov. 16, 2011 at 12:40 PM
  • 2 Replies
  • 145 Total Views

Hello. My name is Hali, I'm 24, I have 2 little girls, a husband, and a dog. I myslef do not have diabetes (I do have rheumatoid arthritis, but that is not what this is about). I joined this group because my mom was just recently diagnosed with Type II diabetes. I don't know much abou this, and I would like to try and be as supportive and helpful as possible to her. For example, I am having a little party this weekend and I want to make desserts that are diabetic-friendly. (Any good dessert recipes you could share with me?)

Any advice you could give me would be helpful! I have printed off a bunch of stuff online (like from the Mayo Clinic) to learn about the disease itself, but I want to know the best way to support the person, my mommy

by on Nov. 16, 2011 at 12:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
LilyPondOasis
by on Nov. 17, 2011 at 1:02 PM

HI Hali. Thanks for joining the group. 

The website http://www.dlife.com/ has wonderful ideas for meals and they even give you the serving size and how much of the ingredients you need for servings say from 2 people to 10 people! Just read what it says in the RED lettering but it does give you the amount of food/ingredients needed for more than 2 people.

Good luck to your Mom. I was diagnosed as a Type II diabetic over the summer and control mine with diet only. No insulin or medication. Never paid much attention to lables before that, but it makes a difference.

deedon
by Sandra on Nov. 18, 2011 at 12:22 PM

Hi, sorry your mom's having to deal with this disease.  I also have type 2 but I'm not having many problems.  I try to watch what I eat and I take Metformin twice a day.  I am bad about not checking my numbers regularly.

You can go to the Amercian Diabetes site and find out some good info. and there are also site sponsered by products like the Splenda site..

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN