Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Welcome New Members

Posted by on Apr. 27, 2007 at 2:40 PM
  • 128 Replies
  • 1903 Total Views
Hello new members and welcome to the group!  Please introduce yourself and your situation and let us get to know you better.  We are all here to help each other!!
by on Apr. 27, 2007 at 2:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Queen_Erika
by on May. 17, 2007 at 4:30 PM
Hi I'm Erika.... i'm 18yrs old.... i have type 1 Diabetes... i've been diabetic for a little more than a year... I am currently 8months pregnant with my first child... (i'm having a girl).... I was originally on insulin injections, but about a month ago i switch to an insulin pump.... I'm in college..... and about 3 months ago i got married.

well that's all i can think of right now... so HELLO everyone!
Damian121804
by on May. 17, 2007 at 6:26 PM
Welcome to the group!
lilkittykt
by on May. 19, 2007 at 9:05 PM
Hello there!!
My name is Katie, I am 32 years old, I have had type 1 diabetes for 30 years now-
My soon to be 14 year old daughter also has type 1, she was diagnosed when she was 5.
I am on the pump and my daughter is on MDI for now, but she may return to the pump soon.
TwistedRozes731
by on May. 21, 2007 at 4:16 PM
Hi, my name is Jamie...I am 21 will be 22 at the end of July....I have one child named nathan....I am SAHM & married........I have been a diabetic since the age of 13......
Damian121804
by on May. 21, 2007 at 11:16 PM
How did you handle finding out that you were a diabetic at that age?  My BIL is 13 and just found out about a year ago that he is a diabetic.  He just went through a terrible custody battle and then the death of his father.  He is scared to death that he will have the same fate as his father.  Any suggestions on how to help him handle all this.  He is also a freshmen is high school and taking all of this very hard.  He has contemplated suicide and is now in a psychward for it.  Please, if you have any information, let me know. Thank you so much!
Tatooedbeauty75
by on Jun. 8, 2007 at 2:04 AM
Hi ladies! My name is Pamela, I'm 31yrs old, I have 2 healthy, beautiful children (By The Grace Of God) I've been an insulin dependent diabetic for 17yrs now. I live in Bayonne, NJ! I'd love for everyone to send me an invite for friendship. I'm a HORRIBLE diabetic and can really use some support and people to talk to :) Hope to hear from you soon!
Pamela :)
P.S~ Damian121804...I dont know if youre aware of this cause I wasnt til about 6 years ago but, if get your doc to write you a prescription for the test strips your insurance WILL cover them. They have to...its considered like a preventative something or other.  I forget the term. I've had 3 different types of health insurance in my life and all three of them covered the strips.  Look into it. Even if your insurance doesnt cover them completely, something is better than nothing! Oh, and if anyone out there doesnt have insurance and is having trouble paying for your insulin...you can go to the Libby website...I think its Libby.com (if not just google it) and they have plans for either free Libby insulin or reduced fee.

Damian121804
by on Jun. 17, 2007 at 12:57 AM

Quoting Tatooedbeauty75:

Hi ladies! My name is Pamela, I'm 31yrs old, I have 2 healthy, beautiful children (By The Grace Of God) I've been an insulin dependent diabetic for 17yrs now. I live in Bayonne, NJ! I'd love for everyone to send me an invite for friendship. I'm a HORRIBLE diabetic and can really use some support and people to talk to :) Hope to hear from you soon!
Pamela :)
P.S~ Damian121804...I dont know if youre aware of this cause I wasnt til about 6 years ago but, if get your doc to write you a prescription for the test strips your insurance WILL cover them. They have to...its considered like a preventative something or other.  I forget the term. I've had 3 different types of health insurance in my life and all three of them covered the strips.  Look into it. Even if your insurance doesnt cover them completely, something is better than nothing! Oh, and if anyone out there doesnt have insurance and is having trouble paying for your insulin...you can go to the Libby website...I think its Libby.com (if not just google it) and they have plans for either free Libby insulin or reduced fee.

I have insurance but I am not the diabetic, my fiance is and he has absolutely no insurance.  Hopefully when we get married we both can get coverage for our health issues.  Thank you for the idea of Libby.  I should find out more about the makers of the One Touch Ultra meter for test strips!!
Staurolite
by on Jun. 19, 2007 at 1:24 PM
Hello!  I am Staurolite and I am 37.  My husband is type 2 since 2000 and my daughter, 10, is type1 as of Christmas 2006.  I also have a boy, 7 and a little girl, 5. 
Stephanie233
by on Jun. 23, 2007 at 1:53 PM
Hi my name is Stephanie last August my daughter was diagnosed with type1 diabetes during that time I was in the hospital and had a major surgery I had to beg the doctor to release me to go to another hospital where my daughter was. It was the scariest time of my life! I had no idea how we were going to be able to afford to take care of her. I knew all of the things she was going to need was expensive and we were so broke. But since we had insurance and my husband made to much we unable to quilify for any assistance there was just not any help for us and I cried so much I didn't even want to bring her home from the hospital for fear she would die from not having any medication and the hospital was very concerned and gave us enough for only a month. But I will say things worked out by the grace of god! She is doing real good now and I still worry about getting the things she needs to keep her healthy.
rainchick
by on Jun. 26, 2007 at 10:47 AM
Hello, my name is Koltny and my husband, Mike, is Type 2 diabetic since May 3, 2006.  We actually think he was diabetic before then, but no one checked.  We found out that day because he lost conciouness while on lunch break (parked in his car alone), lost control of his bladder, then woke up laying across the front seats feeling better then he ever had.  Weird, i know.  He didn't tell me until that night and i made him go to the ER just to make sure everything was ok.  they did all kinds of test, a LP, CAT scan, blood work....blah blah...the doc was convinced it was his head.  He hadn't eaten since about 1pm that afternoon before he lost consciousness, just a few sips of sprite at about 7pm.  at 11:30pm the nurse decided ON HER OWN to check his blood sugar suspecting it would be very low.  It was 487!!!!  imagine everyone's suprise!  that's how we found out he was diabetic.   they immediately gave him 10cc of insulin and rechecked an hour or two later, still not letting him eat and it was 256.  we spent 8 hours in the ER...sigh...His A1C was over 11.  his doc put him on glipizide and avandia, small doses at first then increased them, and lopid for cholesterol.   he takes each twice a day.  we've had major health issues with him since then(now he also has a seizure disorder and they can't figure it out and get him on the right meds), but his diabetes is controlled through the meds and diet!  We were also without insurance for him for a while(avandia isn't cheap!), but now i have him and his kids all on my plan at work! 
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)