Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Cooking for a diabetic... *HELP* *PIOG*

Posted by on Jan. 23, 2012 at 5:24 PM
  • 3 Replies
  • 146 Total Views

Df was diagnosed with type II diabetes on Friday and I am scrambling to find good tasty recipes to cook for dinner that my whole family can eat that would be healthy for him.

Can you share some of your recipes? or resources? Thanks in advance!

I have found dLife.com and df was recommended myplate.gov. I have been looking at both sites, but since I am a worry wart, need some virtual reassurance . . . and would like more inforamtion. 

He was diagnosed via the VA with 2 high blood sugar checks in a row 2 months apart. He currently is taking a pill to lower his blood sugar (havent a clue, he took the bottle with him to work, I will look when he gets home). 

sooo... needing some assistance ;)

by on Jan. 23, 2012 at 5:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
LilyPondOasis
by Lily - Group Owner on Jan. 24, 2012 at 1:20 AM

Hi there and welcome to the group!

A great place for recipes is : www.dlife.com   which you posted, as well as http://www.sparkrecipes.com/

It's not an easy thing to change ones eating habits but a slow change is good and there are many recipes to choose from. I should be on a 1800 calorie diet but Ive fallen off that wagon last year. 

I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes last summer and control mine via diet. I went from 6.6 down to 5.8 after 4 months and Im not on insulin. 

Last blood test the doctor said my glucose levels were good due to good diabetes management. I was suprised it has gone down. I still watch my sugar levels and keep mine ( when I do check it ) under 140 usually. Some times its under 100, it just depends.

Everyone is different. But get checked again in March along with my thyroid levels. When I did the glucose test at the hospital drinking that stuff, it was 116. Like I said it was 6.6 

As long as he watches the sugars, cause so many foods have that as well as natural sugars, and he cuts way back and follows Doctor's orders, with your help he will do just fine I am sure.

Good luck to him! I wished I knew recipes to share, but honestly since my sugars have come way down, I just try to watch what I eat now, in moderation. And make sure I drink plenty of water.

Keep us posted! Sounds like he is lucky to have you help him and your family will love the meals as well Im sure! 

deedon
by Sandra on Jan. 24, 2012 at 9:33 AM
1 mom liked this

You can look at the American Diabetes Ass. site some sites will send you free info if you register. It's just a new way of life my hardest thing is learning to use artifical sweetners.

Mom2be360
by on May. 8, 2012 at 1:07 AM
That wene I got diagnosis too Friday today I was put on meds and I diabetes type 2 Also my husband doesn't

Quoting baquick:

Df was diagnosed with type II diabetes on Friday and I am scrambling to find good tasty recipes to cook for dinner that my whole family can eat that would be healthy for him.

Can you share some of your recipes? or resources? Thanks in advance!

I have found dLife.com and df was recommended myplate.gov. I have been looking at both sites, but since I am a worry wart, need some virtual reassurance . . . and would like more inforamtion. 

He was diagnosed via the VA with 2 high blood sugar checks in a row 2 months apart. He currently is taking a pill to lower his blood sugar (havent a clue, he took the bottle with him to work, I will look when he gets home). 

sooo... needing some assistance ;)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)