Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Hey there

Posted by on Jan. 26, 2012 at 10:03 PM
  • 3 Replies
  • 214 Total Views
1 mom liked this

Hello, I'm Krystal. I joined this group because I need help and support with getting things healthier and into a better routine and being consistent with it all. My husband was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes shortly before he and I met but it was never a big deal, I'd never dealt with it before on a personal level (meaning it never effected me) so I really had no idea until recently how serious it can be.

I won't lie. We eat like crap, though we're getting better day by day, and we certainly don't get the exercise we both need on a regular basis. We're trying but we have a huge problem with consistency. We'll do great for a few days, maybe a week or two, then we somehow sink back to where we were before. It sucks, it's bad for us and the kids, it's stressful and it seems so much harder than I know it is.

The thing is, the doctor told us at his last appointment that he's on the verge of becoming insulin dependent if we don't get his diabetes under control. I should also mention that my husband has severe depression that he's on medication for, he's also ADHD and has medical complications resulting from numerous injuries and nineteen surgeries over the years. He's 44yo, if that matters.

Anyway, mostly for him, but also for me and our kids, we need to become consistent. We need to eat better, healthier, smaller portions more often. We need a simple exercise routine we can do every single day, I've actually already started one with the first of the year but he doesn't have the flexibility or capability of doing the workout I do, I'm proud of myself for it right now because it's the end of my fourth week and I've remained consistent. I ended up in a walking boot this past Sunday and, instead of skipping my exercise routine because of it, I modified it so I could continue despite the boot. So I feel that's a good indication that I'm ready to be consistent.

We have four kids total but only two live with us, my boys from his previous marriage are legal adults but our kids together are 8yo and 3yo (my son just informed me today that there's only eleven days till she's 4yo but I insist that she will remain 3yo until her actual birthday). So obviously we need to eat healthy for them and instill healthy eating habits for them now.

I've been doing a lot of research, we've started attending a seminar program thing focused on diabetes called TCOYD (Taking Control Of Your Diabetes), we attended the first one last night. The next one isn't till March 21st, we plan to attend that one too though as well as all the following seminars. We found the first one was very informative and helpful, we were very happy with it and are looking forward to the next one.

We're taking things slowly, one step at a time, one day at a time, and making small changes so that we don't end up back at the beginning. It's a process and it's hard and stressful, so I'm looking forward to coming here for helpful hints, advice, support and anything else I can get! Thank you for having me here!

by on Jan. 26, 2012 at 10:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
Mom2be360
by on May. 17, 2012 at 3:44 PM
1 mom liked this
Hello nice to meet, you
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LilyPondOasis
by on May. 18, 2012 at 1:13 AM

Welcome to the group.  I missed this post somehow.

Hope that you have been able to get your diabetes under control. How did the classes go?

Good luck!

Chibi_Kitten
by on May. 18, 2012 at 10:08 AM

Thanks, ladies. :)

It's my husband who has diabetes, type two, and we missed the second class because of his work schedule (it just got crazy the last three months). I think he's doing well so far, there's still a lot of changes and adjusting for us to do as a family as well as him individually, but there's been a lot of improvement too. He's checking his blood sugars and stuff regularly and we're all eating healthier but he still needs to work on eating regularly and snacking. Eating healthy things can only do so much if he's not eating regularly, you know? Like yesterday; he got so busy that he had a yogurt for breakfast and like four liters of diet coke till dinner (we're talking breakfast at like 7am and dinner at 6 30pm). Granted, days like that don't happen too often but still more often than is acceptable so it's still a work in progress.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)