Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New Diabetic pill

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2015 at 3:07 PM
  • 4 Replies
  • 8356 Total Views
1 mom liked this

Science takes a step towards diabetes pill

Relaxnews
A species of healthy gut bacteria -- tweaked in the science lab -- could be a key player in curing diabetes, according to a new study.

View photo

A species of healthy gut bacteria -- tweaked in the science lab -- could be a key player in curing diabetes, according to a new study.

A probiotic pill developed at Cornell University sent glucose levels plummeting by as much as 30 percent in diabetic rats, according to the researchers who took part in the study.

They engineered a strain of lactobacillus -- commonly found in the gut -- that secretes a Glucagon-like peptide 1 (GLP-1).

The science-born probiotic was administered orally to the rats for 90 days, resulting in favorable dips in high blood glucose levels.

Under the influence of the medication, the rats appeared to have normally functioning pancreases, says senior author John March, a biological and environmental engineering professor at Cornell.

Epithelial cells -- capable of secretion and selective absorption -- in the upper intestine converted themselves into cells that acted like glucose-monitoring, insulin-secreting pancreatic beta cells.

"It's moving the center of glucose control from the pancreas to the upper intestine," March describes.

It was tested on healthy rats, and no change in blood glucose levels resulted.

Technology to complete the study was licensed by BioPancreate, a subsidiary of Cortendo AB that's incorporated in Sweden and based in Radnor, Pennsylvania.

The paper was published in the journal Diabetes.

by on Jan. 31, 2015 at 3:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
michiganmom116
by Group Admin on Feb. 5, 2015 at 6:15 AM
2 moms liked this

this would be great!  I'm a little leery of side effects though, so I'd want to see years of human testing results before considering taking it.

zjane
by on Feb. 5, 2015 at 5:22 PM
1 mom liked this

If I may comment on this.
The study seems promising! But the thing with (type 1) diabetes is that your organism destroys beta cells (http://healthiack.com/health/what-is-normal-blood-sugar-level#is-diabetes-curable) which produce insulin (insulin is responsible for neutralizing blood sugar levels). These cells cannot be regrown as they will be destroyed again. If they can reprogram some cells into an insulin producing cells wouldn't organism destroyed them again?
Another research that seems very promising is the research on brown fat tissue which can also lower blood sugar levels when activated properly.
People with higher levels of brown fat (http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/07/140723123944.htm), or brown adipose tissue, in their bodies have better blood sugar control, higher insulin sensitivity and a better metabolism for burning fat stores, researchers have shown for the first time. The findings suggest that, because of the brown fat's ability to better regulate blood sugar, this could be a potential medical weapon against diabetes.

MissMackiesgg
by Owner on Feb. 6, 2015 at 4:53 AM

I like both. Maybe one day they will find the cure. That would be great. The more studies and people working towards that the better.

Quoting zjane:

If I may comment on this.The study seems promising! But the thing with (type 1) diabetes is that your organism destroys beta cells (http://healthiack.com/health/what-is-normal-blood-sugar-level#is-diabetes-curable) which produce insulin (insulin is responsible for neutralizing blood sugar levels). These cells cannot be regrown as they will be destroyed again. If they can reprogram some cells into an insulin producing cells wouldn't organism destroyed them again? Another research that seems very promising is the research on brown fat tissue which can also lower blood sugar levels when activated properly.People with higher levels of brown fat (http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/07/140723123944.htm), or brown adipose tissue, in their bodies have better blood sugar control, higher insulin sensitivity and a better metabolism for burning fat stores, researchers have shown for the first time. The findings suggest that, because of the brown fat's ability to better regulate blood sugar, this could be a potential medical weapon against diabetes.

michiganmom116
by Group Admin on Feb. 6, 2015 at 6:40 AM

I'm very skeptical about anyone finding the cure and being able to use it.  There is way  too much profit to lose --we're talking billions of dollars and thousands upon thousands of jobs--if diabetes is cured.

Quoting MissMackiesgg:

I like both. Maybe one day they will find the cure. That would be great. The more studies and people working towards that the better.

Quoting zjane:

If I may comment on this.The study seems promising! But the thing with (type 1) diabetes is that your organism destroys beta cells (http://healthiack.com/health/what-is-normal-blood-sugar-level#is-diabetes-curable) which produce insulin (insulin is responsible for neutralizing blood sugar levels). These cells cannot be regrown as they will be destroyed again. If they can reprogram some cells into an insulin producing cells wouldn't organism destroyed them again? Another research that seems very promising is the research on brown fat tissue which can also lower blood sugar levels when activated properly.People with higher levels of brown fat (http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/07/140723123944.htm), or brown adipose tissue, in their bodies have better blood sugar control, higher insulin sensitivity and a better metabolism for burning fat stores, researchers have shown for the first time. The findings suggest that, because of the brown fat's ability to better regulate blood sugar, this could be a potential medical weapon against diabetes.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN