Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Testing for diabetes?

Posted by on Apr. 8, 2016 at 7:01 PM
  • 8 Replies
  • 156 Total Views
So, being very new to this, i want to ask...how do they go about testing you? What all tests do they run and are the results immediate or a bit of a wait?
by on Apr. 8, 2016 at 7:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
michiganmom116
by Group Admin on Apr. 8, 2016 at 7:13 PM

A typical test is a fasting blood sugar.  Very easy to do with immediate results if they use a meter.  Another test is an A1C, again immediate results if done with a meter.  Blood draws take longer for results.

CSM81
by on Apr. 8, 2016 at 7:20 PM
Ty. Is this simply done at your hospital or right at your dr.s office?

Quoting michiganmom116:

A typical test is a fasting blood sugar.  Very easy to do with immediate results if they use a meter.  Another test is an A1C, again immediate results if done with a meter.  Blood draws take longer for results.

michiganmom116
by Group Admin on Apr. 8, 2016 at 7:22 PM

My doctor can do it right in his office.

Quoting CSM81: Ty. Is this simply done at your hospital or right at your dr.s office?
Quoting michiganmom116:

CSM81
by on Apr. 8, 2016 at 7:32 PM
Ah i see, very well. Im thinking of having it done as iv never been diagnosed. My step dad who is told me to keep an eye as im overweight and have hbp and i go thru about a gal of liquids daily. Not sure of all the signs at this point though..

Quoting michiganmom116:

Quoting CSM81: Ty. Is this simply done at your hospital or right at your dr.s office?

Quoting michiganmom116:

michiganmom116
by Group Admin on Apr. 8, 2016 at 7:35 PM

Depending on what you would have to pay at a dr. office, a Relion meter at Walmart is about $20 and is exactly what my dr office uses.  Might be less expensive for you to find out if you buy the meter yourself vs. a dr visit.

Quoting CSM81: Ah i see, very well. Im thinking of having it done as iv never been diagnosed. My step dad who is told me to keep an eye as im overweight and have hbp and i go thru about a gal of liquids daily. Not sure of all the signs at this point though..
Quoting michiganmom116:

Quoting michiganmom116:

CSM81
by on Apr. 8, 2016 at 8:29 PM
1 mom liked this
Thank you so much, the wonders of walmart. And i actually happen to live near one.

Quoting michiganmom116:

Depending on what you would have to pay at a dr. office, a Relion meter at Walmart is about $20 and is exactly what my dr office uses.  Might be less expensive for you to find out if you buy the meter yourself vs. a dr visit.

Quoting CSM81: Ah i see, very well. Im thinking of having it done as iv never been diagnosed. My step dad who is told me to keep an eye as im overweight and have hbp and i go thru about a gal of liquids daily. Not sure of all the signs at this point though..

Quoting michiganmom116:

Quoting michiganmom116:

Ryansmom2004
by on Apr. 8, 2016 at 8:38 PM
If they're testing you for diabetes they'll check your cholesterol. Even though my levels were "normal" my doctor put me on Lipitor. My levels were 115, but for diabetics they want 100 or lower. They'll check kidneys. I hope some of those liquids you've been drinking a lot of aren't sugary sodas and juice. Those are horrible for diabetics. I hope you don't have it because it's a PITA. I've been a diabetic for 23 years. Luckily I'm just on the oral medication but I had to be on insulin while I was pregnant.
michiganmom116
by Group Admin on Apr. 9, 2016 at 7:57 AM

Quoting Ryansmom2004: If they're testing you for diabetes they'll check your cholesterol. Even though my levels were "normal" my doctor put me on Lipitor. My levels were 115, but for diabetics they want 100 or lower. They'll check kidneys. I hope some of those liquids you've been drinking a lot of aren't sugary sodas and juice. Those are horrible for diabetics. I hope you don't have it because it's a PITA. I've been a diabetic for 23 years. Luckily I'm just on the oral medication but I had to be on insulin while I was pregnant.

What was your total cholesterol?  The "100 or lower" is for LDL.  

Your doctor, IMO, is full of it.  There's no reason for a statin if your levels were normal.  Statins cause more problems than they have benefits, unless you're a man that has had a heart attack.  I've read recently that they are believed to actually contribute to diabetes and complications, but I didn't read the actual studies on that claim.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)