Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Greetings and Salutations

Posted by on Aug. 4, 2016 at 8:57 AM
  • 5 Replies
  • 137 Total Views

Hi. 

I was told in February that I had diabetes but they did not give me any meds for it. My mom and sister are both diabetic and they have meds. I have told them what my blood sugar averages (94) and they both say that I am not diabetic. When the doctors told me I was, I was having major health issues with a severe fluid build up (over 100 lbs) and my heart working at only 30% (has since improved to 45%) and they did not take that into consideration.

I thought this group may have good advice to pass onto Mom and Sis and it wouldn't hurt for me to make changes. =)

by on Aug. 4, 2016 at 8:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
michiganmom116
by on Aug. 4, 2016 at 11:52 AM
1 mom liked this

Averages don't mean a lot with diabetes. What matters is what your blood sugar levels do after you eat.  If they go above 120, you are diabetic.  Treatment decisions will depend on how far your blood sugar levels rise, your diet, exercise capability, and what you/your doctor are willing to do.

Yes, health issues can aggravate diabetes.  However, once you have it, you likely always WILL, even if you get your blood sugar levels under control.  The longer you can control it, the better the outcome for you.

LadyDiamond927
by on Aug. 4, 2016 at 1:07 PM
1 mom liked this

Hello & welcome :)

I would start with small changes in your diet, and getting your exercise in

SpiritedWitch
by on Aug. 4, 2016 at 6:53 PM
1 mom liked this

But that is just it ... my BS levels stay well within the normal range, even after eating. My mom and sister are on medication (can't remember the name) but I am not. However, their numbers are usually high ... mom's runs around 140 and sis is in the 200+ range.

I don't understand why they did not give me a med for it when I left the hospital. Gave me the BS monitor thing. I check it every three days. I was checking it 2x a day. 

I'm just confused about and hopefully this group will help. =)

Quoting michiganmom116:

Averages don't mean a lot with diabetes. What matters is what your blood sugar levels do after you eat.  If they go above 120, you are diabetic.  Treatment decisions will depend on how far your blood sugar levels rise, your diet, exercise capability, and what you/your doctor are willing to do.

Yes, health issues can aggravate diabetes.  However, once you have it, you likely always WILL, even if you get your blood sugar levels under control.  The longer you can control it, the better the outcome for you.

michiganmom116
by on Aug. 4, 2016 at 8:43 PM
1 mom liked this

I would bet your doctors just wanted to know what would happen once your health improved.  I had gestational diabetes with 4 pregnancies,  but was not diabetic between them.  Just be aware that your body is likely prone to become diabetic again if you don't stay in control of your health.

Quoting SpiritedWitch:

But that is just it ... my BS levels stay well within the normal range, even after eating. My mom and sister are on medication (can't remember the name) but I am not. However, their numbers are usually high ... mom's runs around 140 and sis is in the 200+ range.

I don't understand why they did not give me a med for it when I left the hospital. Gave me the BS monitor thing. I check it every three days. I was checking it 2x a day. 

Quoting michiganmom116:

SpiritedWitch
by on Aug. 5, 2016 at 12:19 AM
1 mom liked this

That makes sense. =)

If February taught me anything ... it was that even though I hate doctors and don't think I need to see one, I probably should see one at least once a year. 

Quoting michiganmom116:

I would bet your doctors just wanted to know what would happen once your health improved.  I had gestational diabetes with 4 pregnancies,  but was not diabetic between them.  Just be aware that your body is likely prone to become diabetic again if you don't stay in control of your health.

Quoting SpiritedWitch:

Quoting michiganmom116:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)