Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Glucose highs on vacation?

Posted by on Jul. 20, 2007 at 12:24 PM
  • 2 Replies
  • 210 Total Views
we are on vacation for the first time since my son was diagnosed and he has been running high since the beginning of vacation. We came to visit my parents so he is not really eating anything different than at home- the only thing is that we have been more active than we are at home i.e fishing, tubing, lots of basketball and bike riding that we cant do in Vegas because of the heat which would normally keep him stable or sometimes bring him a little low, but even with no diet change and extra activity, he still soars into the 200's and a couple of times into the low 300's (no issues with ketones thank god). Is this running high normal? his A1c's are all around 6.2-6.5 but I am afraid to know what the next one will be. Any ideas?
by on Jul. 20, 2007 at 12:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
Mandi1215
by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 11:54 PM
Are you sure he's not sneaking any foods from the grandparents. I don't mean that the grandparents are giving him anything they shouldn't, but maybe they have things in their cabinets that he doesn't have at home that he is sneaking.  Usually when I am on vacation my sugars go low, due to the fact that I am more active.  Is he stressed about anything?  Maybe being away from home is stressing him, that can raise blood sugars.  I'm not too sure what to tell you, just keep checking his keytones, when the numbers get high.  Don't worry about his a1c, it maybe a little higher then normal next time at the doctors, but he'll be ok.  Depending on how much longer you are on vacation I would go see a physican there if it gets really out of hand.

Lilypie 4th Birthday Ticker

LyTe684
by on Aug. 7, 2007 at 9:02 AM
I have two questions.
1) Could he be sneaking food (I know I did it at one point)
2) How old is he. If he is going through puberty that will make is sugar spike. When one is going through puberty our body requires more insulin. It is nothing that the individual does, it's just how the human body works.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)