Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Insulin pump while on vacation (posted to other groups)

Posted by on Jul. 31, 2007 at 12:46 PM
  • 1 Replies
  • 182 Total Views

Poll

Question: Do you wear your insulin pump in the water?

Options:

Yes, and I've never had any problems

Yes, but I've had some problems with it

No

I don't wear an insulin pump

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 2

View Results

Hi all!  I am so excited to be going on vacation in Myrtle Beach next week, but this will be a first for me while on an insulin pump. 

I'm wondering if there is anything special I should do other than check my pumps water tightness, have lots of extra supplies and lower my basal rates during higher activity.  My nurse educators told me not to take the pump in the water, even if it is supposed to be water proof.  I have an Animas 1250 that is about 1 year and 1/2 old.  Have any of you gone in the water with yours?  I plan on swimming in the ocean and in the pool.  Should I take off the pump when I'm in the water and then come out and check my glucose and give correction boluses if needed?  Should I switch to Lantus injections for the week?  I'm also wondering about how to keep my infusion site stuck with all the moisture.  I don't know the best way to approach this, so I'm hoping some of you experienced pumpers can give me some suggestions and help me out!  Thanks girls!

- Erica

Fans of The Fault Line - Group Owner

http://www.cafemom.com/group/13337

by on Jul. 31, 2007 at 12:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-1):
LyTe684
by on Aug. 7, 2007 at 9:00 AM
I have never gotten into water with my pump. I was told just like you, that even though it is supposed to be waterproof there is always a possibility that water will get in. You may have dropped the pump or bumped into something and got a little dent that allows the water in. I was told that I can take the pump off for an hour MAX... then put it back on for a while. Like. JMO opinion, I wouldn't put it in the water. Better safe than sorry. Hope that helps. Have a nice day.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)