Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The typical "hi, im new" post

Posted by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 9:53 PM
  • 3 Replies
  • 241 Total Views

My name is mary. I am 22 and have a 2 1/2 y/o son.

I have joined this group because my mom's boyfriend is diabetic (i think type 1)

I mostly want to see if I can find any good snack recipes, as I like to bake, and I feel guilty sending cookies and muffins over. He said that he can eat them as long as he watches his diet otherwise... but I would like to make it easier on him

by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 9:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
RBJN
by on Jul. 29, 2009 at 8:44 AM

I don't have any recipes to share.  A type 1 diabetic takes insulin, so most likely he will just take extra insulin to cover it.  I have found that most sugar-free stuff tastes nasty...and they replace the sugar with FAT...so you never win--either you have sugar or loads of fat!

So really....I wouldn't be too worried about it.  But what would be nice is that if you know the amount of carbs that is in a serving...I'm sure he would appreciate that information so he can take the right amount of insulin.  Usually box brownies are about 20-24 carbs per brownie (on average).

Angel food cake is a great snack for diabetics....not too loaded with sugar, and yummy in my opinion!

~ Jennifer ~
Wife to Robert - October 2002
Mommy to Elizabeth - May 2005

Momsince1106
by on Jul. 29, 2009 at 9:57 AM

i dont think he takes insulin. I know he doesn't do any shots because it was expensive and he didnt want to.... he takes pills in the morning though.

I may shoot him if he ends up messing up his insulin and scaring my mom. He doesn't test his blood sugar either, just kind of said "i know how I should feel"

Quoting RBJN:

I don't have any recipes to share.  A type 1 diabetic takes insulin, so most likely he will just take extra insulin to cover it.  I have found that most sugar-free stuff tastes nasty...and they replace the sugar with FAT...so you never win--either you have sugar or loads of fat!

So really....I wouldn't be too worried about it.  But what would be nice is that if you know the amount of carbs that is in a serving...I'm sure he would appreciate that information so he can take the right amount of insulin.  Usually box brownies are about 20-24 carbs per brownie (on average).

Angel food cake is a great snack for diabetics....not too loaded with sugar, and yummy in my opinion!

RBJN
by on Jul. 30, 2009 at 8:22 AM

He is a type 2 then...as type 1's have to take insulin.  So that makes a difference in what he should eat and how much...as most type 2's have to follow there diet plan pretty well to stay within range.   Some type 2's I know will just exercise a bit more after an extra snack and that helps keep the blood sugar from rising...but sounds like maybe your mom's boyfriend isn't taking it as serious as he should.

He DOES need to test his blood sugar...ignorance is not an acceptable answer to letting your body go.  And from what I know, he doesn't have to check his blood sugar that often (whereas a type 1 has to check at least a min of 4x a day to stay "in check")....so it's not like its a chore.

You and your mother need to tell him to check his blood sugars....cause if he loves you guys, he will take care of his body and be around for a long time!

It's NOT easy being diabetic....but it's totally manageable :) 

~ Jennifer ~
Wife to Robert - October 2002
Mommy to Elizabeth - May 2005

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)