Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My 7 year old son has mild autism

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2008 at 6:28 PM
  • 8 Replies
  • 3594 Total Views

My 7 year old son (tall one / in the green shirt) has mild autism ,adhd, and developmental delays. He's verbal and does not have sensory  issues or self stim behaviors. But there is alot of the following : verbal repetition, problems with social skills & communication, obsessive compulsive behavior, behavior problems, hyper activity, dev. del.s, messy eating, toilet acidents, annoying behavior, trouble with behavior and learning at school, geting into EVERYTHING, making a mess, leaving toys & food everywhare and lots more. Does anyone else have kids with the same issues? If so, then please tell me/us about it.

by on Jan. 18, 2008 at 6:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
magikmom_4
by New Member on Jan. 18, 2008 at 10:47 PM
I have two children on the spectrum, both are verbal but have some major behavior problems.  My 7 year old can be violent and aggressive and is very hyperactive.  My 4 year old has sensory problems and is also very hyperactive.  My biggest issue is with the fact that no one will help me because he is also diagnosed with ADHD, bipolar, and my 4 year old also has SID and Separation Anxiety Disorder.  My 4 year old will not even go to bed unless he is laying on my lap.  His bed is in our room or he freaks out because I am not right there.  My 7 year old , Damon Jr, was diagnosed when he was 4 and has gotten somewhat worse.  He has always been verbal so some people do not believe he has Autism.  I get so annoyed with people who tell me my boys are just normal and they will grow out of it.  Well guess what my husband did not grow out of it and he is 34 yrs old.  People need to listen and not judge.  I love all 4 of my kids and want the best for them, but that will not happen until people wake up and realize we need help and we cannot do it alone.  Sorry if I ranted I just have no one to talk to.  I am a SAHM and have no family that cares to listen.
Thanks,
Jean
WENDY850
by Group Owner on Jan. 19, 2008 at 3:55 PM

My son always had developmemtal delays, hyperactivity and behavior proublems. When he was a toddler the delays seemed to be more mild but as he started school his delays became more apparent. The first time I took him to be tested for autism is when he was 4. They told us that he just had developmental delays but not autism. But when he started school the behavior proublems continued. So when he was 6 I had him tested again and they told me that it was mild autism. I have mild autism too but back then noboby knew as much about it as they do now and didn't understand what I was going throhgh. I was bullyed by other kids and judged by adults.

luvallmykids24
by New Member on Jan. 31, 2008 at 8:37 PM
Hi, My son has ppd-nos, sensory intergration, people think he is just spoiled and not wanting to deal with things like a 10 yr old should. It is hard because I work with theses people and my son is there everyday. This can get very frustrating. This is a Day Care and I dont think they really understand Autism in any form especially mild.I dont need any problems with them so I will not post the name of the daycare and pray none of them see this. This is my only problem there everything else is great. Sometimes I wonder if I am just overreacting . My son has only been diagnosed with this for about 1 yr now.
WENDY850
by Group Owner on Feb. 2, 2008 at 10:41 PM
My son always had developmental delays but I didn't suspect that he may have mild autism until he was 4 or 5. His major issues were his behavior. But as he got older I also noticed more delays in his social development aswell. Had him tested when he was 6 and thats when he was diagnosed.
jesselea
by New Member on Apr. 16, 2008 at 9:07 PM
Hi my name is jesse and i believe my son is showing signs of mild autism in some form. he is 5 yrs old has always had developmental delays but it has become more of an issue as he started pre k this year.. I was wondering how everyone went about getting thier kids tested and diagnosed im not even sure where to start..thanks
WENDY850
by Group Owner on Apr. 19, 2008 at 10:13 AM
I've had the same proublems trying to get my son diagnosed. He allways had developmental delays too but his behavior & everything else got worse as he got older. I've went through mental health, the school system and every other place I could think of. NO one thought it was autism. Just developmental delays and ADHD. He has no scencery issues, self stim behavior or meltdowns. But there is alot of verbal repitition, proublems communicating with others "socialy" on his age level, being able to relate to other people, developmental delays, adhd, behavior proublems & other things. So I took him to this place I heard about called TEACCH. They help treat & diagnose people with Autism in NC. They have differant locations throughout the state. That's when they told me he had mild autism. So all I can tell you to do is just keep looking untill you can find someone who is able to help you & if you're lucky enough then just maybe you'll find someone who actualy knows what the heck they are doing. Good luck.
norest4theweary
by New Member on Sep. 26, 2011 at 4:30 PM

I realize this post is old but it came up while I was searching ways to help my 7 year old who has ADHD and Dev. delay. I am struggling to find help for him. I keep Asking and I keep being told to wait. I don't know where else to turn. I am interested to see how all of your kids are doing now, 3 years later and any advice you could give me.

love_is_love
by New Member on May. 3, 2012 at 12:28 PM

I don't know if you are still here, but how has this been working out?  I have a 7 year old and I am starting to suspect that he has high functioning autism as he is very smart and has verbal skills, however he has recently started with behavioral issues that can range from mild to severe and be almost out of the blue....the more I read the more worried I am becoming...any help or advice?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN