Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Owl Creek Gazette: Our Independent, Off-the-Grid, Out-of-the-Box, Self-Reliant, Voluntaryist Magazine!

Posted by on Sep. 7, 2011 at 3:19 PM
  • 7 Replies
  • 1284 Total Views

Mamas ... Hubby and I have started a new monthly self-reliant living magazine, called the Owl Creek Gazette, which will focus on (but not be limited to) serving the self reliant community in and around our neck of the woods.

This magazine is available in print form as well as online via our blog at: http://owlcreekgazette.blogspot.com/

Any and all questions/suggestions are appreciated!

Jan

by on Sep. 7, 2011 at 3:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
jejstover
by Group Owner on Oct. 4, 2011 at 3:54 PM

If you'd like to read the first issue of the Owl Creek Gazette, you can do so as it's now online, mamas!

http://owlcreekgazette.blogspot.com/p/current-issue.html

What’s in This Issue of The Owl Creek Gazette?
Table of Contents
Page 2: From the Editors’ Desk and Cellar   
Page 3: The Roots of the Owl Creek Gazette
Page 3: Birds or Bugs (from our “Nesting Notes: Self-Reliant How-to's for Home and Habitat” Series
Page 4: Creating Community
Page 4: What Do Marshfield, St. Louis, and New Bloomfield Have in Common?
(from our Monthly Sightings:  Anything Unique That Catches Our Eye Series
Page 5: An Educational Q and A Diabetic Test Strips and Self-Reliance
Page 6: The Clark Farm (from our “Something to Hoot About: Success Stories of Self-Reliance” Series)
Page 7: The Sunshine House Health Food Store Shines Bright
Page 8: Freedom to Write
Page 9: Don’s Uniques: “Mr Fix-it” and More
Page 9: Pumpkins with a Message from our “For the Owlets: Ideas for the Young (and Young at Heart” Series
Page 10: Recipes with Memories ... From the Farm and Table of the Harley and Bashie Rush Family
Page 11: The Mothers Institute: Promoting Peace

jejstover
by Group Owner on Oct. 5, 2011 at 5:10 PM

FYI: The Owl Creek Gazette is now on facebook too: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Owl-Creek-Gazette/195062743900982

If you'd drop by and "like" the page that would be cool ... thanks mamas!

Jan

smalltowngal
by Member on Oct. 7, 2011 at 11:58 AM

I am replying so I remember to read this later. I recently went to a Mother Earth News conference and it left me feeling all warm and fuzzy. With Self-Reliance, you get a lot of people all over the political spectrum. I did not see one fight or argument while there. A lot of the talks were standing room only and many people weren't able to get into to the talks they wanted so they ended up just discussing things out in the hallway instead. It gives me hope that this country could come together and stop with all the bipartisan bickering.

I have a 1/4 cow in my freezer from a local 4-H club, several chickens from my backyard and today, we pick up a 1/2 pig raised by a local teacher. We're hoping to start an aquaponics system soon which will help provide vegetables all year and fish. We're trying to grow or buy as much of our food locally as we can and I'm hoping a year from now, 90% of our food will come from homegrown or local sources.

jejstover
by Group Owner on Oct. 9, 2011 at 12:01 PM

Quoting smalltowngal:

I am replying so I remember to read this later. I recently went to a Mother Earth News conference and it left me feeling all warm and fuzzy. With Self-Reliance, you get a lot of people all over the political spectrum. I did not see one fight or argument while there. A lot of the talks were standing room only and many people weren't able to get into to the talks they wanted so they ended up just discussing things out in the hallway instead. It gives me hope that this country could come together and stop with all the bipartisan bickering.

I have a 1/4 cow in my freezer from a local 4-H club, several chickens from my backyard and today, we pick up a 1/2 pig raised by a local teacher. We're hoping to start an aquaponics system soon which will help provide vegetables all year and fish. We're trying to grow or buy as much of our food locally as we can and I'm hoping a year from now, 90% of our food will come from homegrown or local sources.

Your point is well taken about interest in self-reliance being a subject that reaches across the political spectrum. In the past, the "back to the land" crowd was often viewed as a more left-leaning and some would say Mother Earth New came to reflect that view. Then along came Backwoods Home magazine with it's libertarian take on self-reliance (and politics). 

I've enjoyed both magazines over the years, and you'll see when you get a chance to read the Owl Creek Gazette that I mention both of these publications  -- in fact my mom, dad, and I attended the first-ever Mother Earth News Conference :-)

Hubby and I, of course, will be bringing our libertarian viewpoint to our magazine and hope to show how libertarian philosophy is a natural for people wanting to be truly self-reliant.  The good news is that we are already getting positive feedback from local folks of all political persuasion.

Love that you (and other mamas here at LM) are actively getting involved in your own food production/acquisition ... the more we can do for ourselves and network with others who are doing the same, the better off we'll all be, eh?!

Let me know what you think of the Owl Creek Gazette after you've had a chance to look it over -- you feedback would be most appreciated!

Jan

smalltowngal
by Member on Oct. 9, 2011 at 2:15 PM

Quoting jejstover:

Quoting smalltowngal:

Your point is well taken about interest in self-reliance being a subject that reaches across the political spectrum. In the past, the "back to the land" crowd was often viewed as a more left-leaning and some would say Mother Earth New came to reflect that view. Then along came Backwoods Home magazine with it's libertarian take on self-reliance (and politics). 

I've enjoyed both magazines over the years, and you'll see when you get a chance to read the Owl Creek Gazette that I mention both of these publications  -- in fact my mom, dad, and I attended the first-ever Mother Earth News Conference :-)

Hubby and I, of course, will be bringing our libertarian viewpoint to our magazine and hope to show how libertarian philosophy is a natural for people wanting to be truly self-reliant.  The good news is that we are already getting positive feedback from local folks of all political persuasion.

Love that you (and other mamas here at LM) are actively getting involved in your own food production/acquisition ... the more we can do for ourselves and network with others who are doing the same, the better off we'll all be, eh?!

Let me know what you think of the Owl Creek Gazette after you've had a chance to look it over -- you feedback would be most appreciated!

Jan

Backwoods Home, which I also subscribe to, had a booth there. I really like their recipes. They're nice and simple. I saw you're going to do a recipe section and I know I personally like recipes that give me something to do with the vegtables I always have a ton of. Things like cucumbers, swiss chard, tomatoes, zucchini and summer squash. Right now I'm still getting a couple eggplants and I harvested a bunch of butternut squash. Recipes that use a lot of cheap, bulk items are nice too. Things like beans, lentils, rice, etc. They're cheap and easy to store so people always seem to have a lot of those things hanging around.

If it makes you feel any better, I had a ton of tomato worms this year. Luckily, I had a parasitic wasp that kept on laying eggs on the catterpillars killing them before they killed my tomato plants.

I keep on wanting DH to make me a root cellar so I'm jealous that you have access to one. I like the idea of being able to store a lot of vegetables I grow myself.

jejstover
by Group Owner on Oct. 31, 2011 at 9:18 AM

Quoting smalltowngal:

Quoting jejstover:

Quoting smalltowngal:

Jan

Backwoods Home, which I also subscribe to, had a booth there. I really like their recipes. They're nice and simple. I saw you're going to do a recipe section and I know I personally like recipes that give me something to do with the vegtables I always have a ton of. Things like cucumbers, swiss chard, tomatoes, zucchini and summer squash. Right now I'm still getting a couple eggplants and I harvested a bunch of butternut squash. Recipes that use a lot of cheap, bulk items are nice too. Things like beans, lentils, rice, etc. They're cheap and easy to store so people always seem to have a lot of those things hanging around.

If it makes you feel any better, I had a ton of tomato worms this year. Luckily, I had a parasitic wasp that kept on laying eggs on the catterpillars killing them before they killed my tomato plants.

I keep on wanting DH to make me a root cellar so I'm jealous that you have access to one. I like the idea of being able to store a lot of vegetables I grow myself.

I'm a big fan of Backwooks Home recipes too!

Also, I shared your tomato worms story with our Owl Creek Gazette "Garden Girl". Check out the "Meet our Writers" section in the November issue for details about Garden Girl (btw, she and I are not one in the same person ... though most readers initially thought we were :-)

And click the link below to read the full November 2011 issue

http://owlcreekgazette.blogspot.com/p/current-issue.html

Jan

-------------------------------------

What’s in This Issue of The Owl Creek Gazette?

Table of Contents

Page 2: From the Editors’ Desk and Cellar   
Page 3: In Our Readers' Own Words
Page 3: Meet Our Writers
Page 4: The Launch of the Owl Creek Gazette
Page 4: Whack Those Weeds
Page 5: Songwriters Showcase: Making and Sharing Music With Community in Mind (from our “Something to Hoot About: Success Stories of Self-Reliance” Series)
Page 6: Recipes with Memories and Our Unexpected Thanksgiving Guests
Page 6: Making Something from Nothing (from our “For the Owlets: Ideas for the Young (and Young at Heart” Series)
Page 7: Don’s Trash Can Turkey (from our “Nesting Notes: Self-
Reliant How-to's for Home or Habitat” Series)
Page 8: My Owl Barn Blog: An Educational Q and A about Creating Community
Page 9: Peace Vigils and the Peacekeeper in Each of Us
Page 10: Mom, Can We Eat This?
Page 11: How to Select the Right Vitamin for You Part 2
Page 11: Valuation Assessments (from our Owl Droppings: Sniffing Out the Messes Bureaucracies Leave Behind)
jejstover
by Group Owner on Mar. 14, 2012 at 10:46 AM

Mamas ... you're invited to check out our March issue via our blog's Current Issue page at: http://owlcreekgazette.blogspot.com/p/current-issue.html

Click the link below to read our March issue of the Owl Creek Gazette.

What’s in This Issue of The`Owl Creek Gazette?
Table of Contents
Page 2: From the Editors
Page 3: In Our Readers' Own Words
Page 4: A Week in the Life of a Ten-Year-Old Unschooler
Page 5: Future Victory School Drive
Page 6: Food Preservation for Self-Reliance Part 2
Page 7: Meet Tim and Pam Frye
Page 7: The War of 1812: Forts
Page 8: Don's Uniques is Stocking Up
Page 9: Get "Junk Drunk" on St. Patrick's Day
Page 10: A Healthy Focus on Food
Page 11: Beekeeper’s Corner
Page 12: Garden Girl's Crazy for Kits
Page 13 :From the Notebook of Elza Hickoryshack
Page 14: For the Owlets: Build a Box Kite
Page 15: Owl Creek Gazette Community Calendar

AND any Archived issues you might have missed via our Archives Issues page at:http://owlcreekgazette.blogspot.com/p/archived-issues.html
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)