Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 month old won't sleep when he's alone

Posted by on Oct. 21, 2009 at 1:45 PM
  • 14 Replies
  • 603 Total Views

My 2 month old son refuses to sleep when he's alone. He sleeps fine in his bouncer or in bed with us at night but he refuses to sleep in his crib or bassinet. Anyone have this happen to them? Any advice?

Amber Nicole

by on Oct. 21, 2009 at 1:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
one_on_the_way
by New Member on Oct. 22, 2009 at 10:17 AM

Does he not still sleep in his crib or bassinet after he has already fallen asleep and you put him in there?  Does he wake up as soon as you put him in?

My son wouldn't fall asleep in his crib...but - if I was very, very, very careful and gentle - he would stay asleep if I put him in after he had fallen asleep in my arms or something.  If I wasn't slow enough or careful enough, many times he would wake up and cry...so I would just hold him more until he fell asleep again...and try to gently put him down again. 

Sometimes I would put blankets in his car seat and lay him in there when he was asleep or very tired and he would like that...and stay asleep for quite awhile.  I think because it kept him a little elevated...like how he'd be in my arms.  I think going from sleeping in my arms to getting laid flat in a crib was upsetting to him.  I only put him in his carseat during the day for naps and stuff...so he could be out in the living room and I could keep an eye on him while I did other things.  I co-slept at night.

I think that at 2 months babies are still very "needy" and love to be held and near their mom.  

My son is almost 6 months now and he sleeps in his crib for most of the night.  I gradually started putting him there for naps and then to "start" the night (I would bring him in bed with me after he'd wake up for a night feeding).  If I didn't like co-sleeping so much, he would probably be fine to sleep in his crib all night.

At 2 months, you have time to make a gradual transition and he'll be more ready for some independence.  I guess my advice would just be to give it time and be very gradual with a transition.

Good luck to you and your baby!

storkradio193
by on Oct. 26, 2009 at 9:19 AM

have you tried giving him a binky when you put him down so that he can still have some form of comfort that is not you? we have tried really hard to put elle down when she is tired but not yet asleep and it has done amazing things as far as her sleep habits go. you may want to try - sometimes it takes 10-15 minutes for her to fall asleep but she doesn't cry or anything. but we do give her a binky which i know a lot of people have good reasons not to do too.

www.storkradio.com

anicole09
by on Oct. 26, 2009 at 5:20 PM

He HATES the binky. I guess thats's a good thing though. We have tried putting him down awake and he just cries and when he's asleep and we put him down he wakes up within a few minutes and cries. We only let him cry for 5 minutes though then we go get him. We're trying to slowly get him adjusted to being in his crib and are hopeing  as he get's older he will be more comfortable with it but for now we arent going to force it on him if he doesnt like it.

But I really do wish he would take a binky. If it's not a boob he wants nothing to do with it.lol

Quoting storkradio193:

have you tried giving him a binky when you put him down so that he can still have some form of comfort that is not you? we have tried really hard to put elle down when she is tired but not yet asleep and it has done amazing things as far as her sleep habits go. you may want to try - sometimes it takes 10-15 minutes for her to fall asleep but she doesn't cry or anything. but we do give her a binky which i know a lot of people have good reasons not to do too.

Amber Nicole

LaughterHugs
by on Dec. 31, 2009 at 1:27 AM

have you tried maybe a sling for naptime, and co-sleeping for bedtime?

:familybed1::bfinfant::cd::babycrawl::nursing::slingtwins::fluff:

JaclynRae67
by New Member on Jan. 18, 2010 at 2:35 PM

my 3 month old refuses to sleep on his own too unless he is on his stomach which i'm scared to do so he has slept in my arms on the couch since he was born. When i try to put him down in his bassinet on his back, he wakes up immediately screaming. Yet if I put him down on his stomach, he stays sleeping. But i picked him up right away because i'm scared to let him sleep on his stomach because of SIDS. He wont take a binkie either so i guess the only answer is patience and hope they grow out of it! I love the amount of cuddle time with him and they dont stay babies forever!

jrabbit70
by New Member on Jan. 20, 2010 at 7:51 PM

My 3 month old is the same way...he will actually sleep at nighttime in his crib, but not take naps.  He won't take a pacifier and screams when I try the slings or wraps with him so I end up just holding him rocking in the recliner most of the time.  I'm with the above poster-I just try to think of it as taking advantage of cuddling since he won't want to later.  I did try the EASY method where you put them down sleepy, but not asleep, but after a week of taking 45 minutes to get him down for a short nap and then having him be hungry again we stopped that.  Some babies just have the personality or internal disposition that enables them to fall asleep easier.  Sounds like you have a "touchy" baby like mine who is very sensitive to his environment.  I'm hoping that it will get easier as he gets older!  Sorry I don't have more suggestions-I've read and tried everything!!  I think I'm just putting too big of an expectation on my LO...

Amielol
by on Feb. 3, 2010 at 6:24 PM

I am having this same issue. Here are a few things we are trying, advise I have recieved from other moms:

1. Try wearing a t shirt for a full day and then putting it in the crib with him so he can smell you.

2. I also got one of those white noise machines that sounds like the womb. It came inside of a teddy bear so I just took it out and it velcros to the crib.

3. Try is to heat up his sheets with a warm towel, heating pad, or hot water bottle before you place him in the crib. This way he doesnt go from your warm arms down to cold sheets. Or you can get flannel sheets.

4. I am using a sleep positioner at the moment and it keeps him snug. This way he doesnt feel like to he the only thing in his crib. Its a pretty open space compared to the comfortable arms of mama.

Last night I tried for 3 hours to get him to sleep in the crib. I would try to put him in there about 10 minutes after his last movement in my arms, then he would wake up 20 minutes later crying. I finally surrended to the couch to co-sleep at 230 am. My friend who has 3 kids came over today and informed me that DS was completely full of gas and that is why he was so fussy last night. She taught me how to massage his tummy and work his legs to get him to fart and hes been in a good mood ever since. I am hoping this was his issue last night and maybe he will sleep better tonight. Its bath night tonight and he always sleeps so much better after a bath too.

Good luck mama!

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
Jusbhpy
by on Apr. 16, 2010 at 12:29 PM

Yes, this happened until I got firm on changing the habit.  I swaddled her, put on ocean sounds, and stayed next to her, sometimes even let her cry a little for a night or two, and now she sleeps between 6 to 9 hours straight! And shes only 9wks old....Have you watched Happiest Baby on the Block? I really suggest it...He talks about this a little bit.

Jusbhpy
by on Apr. 16, 2010 at 12:34 PM

I feel the trick is not wavering. If you pick them up because theyre crying and take them to bed with you ...(which is what I kept doing) then if you were them, you would wake up everytime and cry too....just so you could sleep next to warm mommy:).  You want them to be able to sleep on their own...it's healthy for baby and you.

Rhiannon1980
by on Jun. 17, 2010 at 12:59 PM

my son use to cry when you put him down well he still does but i have a 15 min rule if he is clean and fed then i let him cry for 15 min then pick him up and rock and try again. usley he only crys for less than 10 min. i also have a cd i play every time i put him down naps and bed. it has worked for us

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN