Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Questions about starting solid foods

Posted by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 1:49 PM
  • 8 Replies
  • 307 Total Views

My son is just over 5 months and we started  him on rice cereal yesterday. He took to it easily and gobbled it up. I started with the directions on the box and just gave him a Tbsp of food mixed with breast milk. He has eaten all of the food at both of his feedings so far. How many times a day should I be feeding him cereal, and how much should I be giving him? I wanted to wait until 6 months to start with the cereal, but he keeps waking up a lot at night, and I think it's just b/c he's hungry, since he goes right back to sleep afterward. Will he start sleeping better soon? I'm dying for a full night's sleep!

by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 1:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
sharandean
by New Member on Jun. 29, 2010 at 5:01 PM

I started my DS on cereal at 4 months and I regret it now, he is almost 9 mo now. I followed the Baby's first year book and it said to start with a few tablespoons a day for a week and increase each week. My BM began to slow production and by the time he was 5 mo he was on formula completely. I think your son will be sleeping soon and watch out for growth spurts and your milk production, you will need to produce more if he is having a growth spurt and he will need to eat in the night, it won't last long, a week at most.

kellybel
by New Member on Jun. 30, 2010 at 4:16 PM
Thanks for the reply! I hadn't thought about watching out for my milk supply, but that's good advice. I will be so sad if my little guy stops breastfeeding totally before a year. Thanks again!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Viridescence
by on Aug. 2, 2010 at 10:13 PM

What did your ped recommend? Ours suggested starting cereal at 4 months and offering it to her twice a day, as much as she wants, but the American Academy of Pediatrics suggests waiting until 6 months. I split the difference and just now started her on rice cereal once a day, at almost 5 months. I'm not breastfeeding (long story) but breastmilk or formula should still be the bulk of their diet for the first year. 

There is no research to show that feeding babies on rice cereal earlier will make them sleep longer. Some babies do but it's just as likely that they won't, so it's not necessarily a good reason to start the cereal. Plenty of babies still get up to eat during the night until they are 9-12 months old.  Nobody can say how long it will be before your baby will sleep through the night as they're all different. I'm sure we would all like a full night's sleep...but sleeplessness comes with the job. :)

JeniT21
by New Member on Sep. 1, 2010 at 10:12 AM
If you don't mind me asking, which brand of Rice Cereal are you using? My son just turned 4 months a few days ago and his Pediatrician gave me the green light to start. He too wakes up at night to nurse at least 2 times and then goes right back to sleep so I was considering starting because of that. He also just weighed in at 17.10oz and is nursing at least 8 times in 24hrs so I
was hoping that would be cut down a little if we started cereal.
bryncalyn
by on Sep. 3, 2010 at 8:39 AM

Have you seen the BeechNut cereals and foods? They are very simple in ingredients.

ie - pureed carrots Beechnut = carrots, water. Gerber = carrots, water, ascorbic acid (for color).

ie - oatmeal ... Beechnut = oatmeal (if I remember correctly)   Earth's Best = oatmeal,. tocopherols (vit. E), Electrolytic Iron

Viridescence
by on Sep. 4, 2010 at 2:04 PM

It's VERY easy to make  your own pureed fruits & veggies at home -- just about anything can be steamed until fork-tender, then pureed in a blender or food processor. I freeze them in ice cube trays and then once frozen, put the cubes in labeled freezer bags. After thawing you can thin with water, breastmilk or formula as needed.  If you freeze them you can really just spend a few hours a week making them and it's cheaper than prepared baby food. 

As for cereal I use organic brown rice cereal by Earth's Best. I feed Emilie as much as she wants, which at this point is an impressive amount! 

ProudMommie83
by New Member on Oct. 3, 2010 at 2:48 PM

Try to put come in his bottle it worked for me and my daughter gave me a night's worth of sleep. Now that she's 10 months she sleeps through the whole night without waking up.

Embers618
by New Member on Nov. 28, 2010 at 11:17 PM

My daughter is almost 5 months, and we started her on rice cereal a week ago. The pediatrician told me that it's mostly to get her used to sitting in her chair and eating with a spoon, because at this age there's not really any nutrition in the cereal other than the breastmilk I'm mixing it with. Right now, I only give her a tablespoon at her late morning feeding, and that seems to be plenty for her little bowels to deal with. She's been sleeping through the night for over a month now, but she has gone to bed 45 minutes earlier now that we've started solids.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)