Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Naps/Nighttime sleep question re: almost 6 month old.

Posted by on Oct. 20, 2010 at 10:39 PM
  • 3 Replies
  • 778 Total Views
Ok here goes,
my almost 6 month old son is suddenly sleeping very poorly. He's been to the Dr so his health is really not a factor in this. The Dr has confirmed that he's teething which I know can be extremely painful but he's been teething for over a month now and it hasn't been THIS bad- over the last week it's gotten worse. Anyway, he's never been a poor nighttime sleeper,lengthy naps have always been a struggle but for over a week now they become close to non-existent. Now nighttime is really tough ESP over the last couple of nights. My husband does not do well w hearing him cry AT ALL I'm not talking even 5-10 mins I'm talking like a min or 2 and he's by our sons side picking him up or has not left me alone to do so so I go up just so I don't have to hear him stress anymore.
I know this is really long but I just need others opinions and I feel giving as much detail as possible will give whomever wants to input a better idea of our system. So anyway, my method as of him turning 5 months is to pick up baby if he's crying after 5 mins and calm him then put down again. if he cries again I wait about same Amt of time and do it all over again, if the screaming is real bad I won't wait to pk him up that long at all but if not it's the same process till he's able to calm down on own within the 5 mins I leave him for. I'll sit down in chair alot too and rock but if I feel he's really passing out it's back in crib and usually he'll cry when put down but then it's back to the 5 min thing. My husband on the otherhand will let him totally fall asleep on him and will let him sleep on him for a while before putting him down. I think that that style is now catching up to us cause it seems more and more he's not able to fall asleep on own in the crib. I keep telling my husband that once he's soothed and calm to put him down but he never listens and now I'm stuck w a baby who is teething and WONT sleep unless on one of us! The last few nights have been really bad- I'm ok w letting him cry for a little and seeing if he'll put himself to sleep ( sometimes he does, other times I'm back and forth more) after going into soothe but husband goes in and rocks him until he's asleep alot and it's a vicious cycle w that cause he just starts to get hysterical again after being put down and then we are up ALL night w a screaming baby! Anyone have any suggestions?!? Now just cause my husband doesn't even want to hear the crying on and off he's letting the baby sleep on him for the night!!!
by on Oct. 20, 2010 at 10:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
JeniT21
by New Member on Oct. 20, 2010 at 10:46 PM
I guess my question is since he's going through the teething should we let him sleep on us at night and daytime naps or keep trying to it down in crib? I know baby is really uncomfortable but not sure if going along w my husbands way is best for baby in the longrun...ESP this sleeping on him at night thing!!!
mommy2mason529
by on Nov. 28, 2010 at 12:28 AM

I'm going through the exact same thing right now! I've read some non CIO books and it's helped a bit. Basically, what your DH is doing might end up being better for the baby as far as going to sleep and staying asleep. I think it's Dr. Sears who says to soothe your baby to sleep and keep him asleep with or on you for about 20 minutes before you put him down. He should be in a nice deep sleep by then and will go down easier. I tried the CIO method for a while and it just doesn't seem to work IMO! Good luck Mama!!

Embers618
by New Member on Nov. 28, 2010 at 11:08 PM

Unfortunately I think this is pretty normal for teething. My daughter is 5 months, so right now it's just every few days that she has a hard time sleeping, but my pediatrician said it'll probably get worse before it gets better. When she's in pain, I use baby orajel, and that usually helps her stay calm when I lay her down in her crib.... I also use the controlled crying method for 7 minutes at a time, but now that she's really in pain (the type of crying is different, and it breaks my heart), I've been rocking her all the way to sleep more often. However, once I rock her, if she wakes up when I put her down, I let her cry for the 7 minutes (she almost always falls back asleep in that amount of time). My husband is also more prone to doing anything that will prevent her crying, even if it means holding her in the easy chair all night, but I brought him some info on sleep training and controlled crying from the pediatrician, which has helped.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN