Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Anyone's hubby stationed at Tripler? Housing question

Posted by on May. 29, 2010 at 8:38 PM
  • 1 Replies
  • 724 Total Views

Hi ladies!  My hubby is currently in the Army Nursing Program and will graduate May 2011.  There's only 10 places he can get stationed (all AMC's minus Fort Benning) and he gets to submit his 'top 5,' with Tripler being our top pick.  I see from the HI housing website that there's a Tripler community but the housing for an O1E doesn't look promising...though reading through the posts on here, the decision to live on or off post will need to be carefully considered...  I also see that we can request to live with any branch of service, yet I am not sure of travel times among the so many different places (i.e. Schofield Barracks, Wheeler, Camp Stover, etc...). 

So some of my questions are:

Is anyone's hubby an Army nurse at Tripler?  Or just work at Tripler in another area?

Would it be best to live on post primarily considering travel time?  I am sure he will be working 12 hr shifts....

How is this "Tripler Community" housing area?

Is there any other on post housing areas close to Tripler?

Right now we are close to Fort Benning and travel about 30 min to be on post, plus 10 or so min to get to a specific place.  It's worth it now because of where we live, but don't know if it will be once we are on island.

I know it's over a year off, but we have two dogs, and will have an elementary schooler (1st grade) and young toddler by that time, so moving to HI will take the most research and planning. 

Any advice would be fantastic!!! 

~Samantha

by on May. 29, 2010 at 8:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-1):
2precious0608
by on Sep. 7, 2010 at 9:58 AM

Sorry I have replied so late. I have been super duper busy and have not checked cafemom in awhile.  We live in Forest City housing (ppv) and I HATE IT!!! This is the first time in 9 years of military that we have lived in housing and Im disappointed. Do not be fooled. Nice housing, but as of Jan. 2011, we will be paying electricity. If u look at your mock bill, there is no set standard of   X  amount of wattage. you pay by being compared to the average user of a 3 bedroom,  4 bedroom, etc. So, many of us can be compared to a household that does not use their stove much or wash clothes much, or not use A/C (even though personally crazy to me as it is so HOT) ...so it means your possible bill will fluctuate, too. So, in reality---trying to be conservative in energy use will never be good enough since their is no set standard. Believe me, Forest City will not answer your questions and will lie up to the wazoo...just look at the mock bill and what I say is true. Taking ALL of our BAH is not enough, now they are digging into us more economically. I feel sorry for the E-1 to E-4 families who barely make much and now have to deal with this greed!  Im so pissed!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)