Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Lost on base!

Posted by on Jan. 2, 2012 at 12:04 AM
  • 4 Replies
  • 429 Total Views

Hi. My name is Yvette and I am 43. I just got to Hawaii a few days ago and am up here alone with my two boys (9 & 14) at the moment. We are staying in lodging on Hickam AFB and hopefully will be moving into housing next month.  I am new to the Air Force life and feel totally lost. I have no info on the area and schools. Is there anywhere I can go to get all the info I need? I also dont have a car so we have been walking everywhere!   

by on Jan. 2, 2012 at 12:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
Ilovmysailor525
by New Member on Jan. 2, 2012 at 8:42 PM

Hi Yvette, I am NAVY and the Air force base and Navy base are joint. Schools on Island arent too great so if you can get them into one on base thats a great choice. Housing in the air force base is nice depending on what rank your hubby is. All the housing is based on hawaiian style homes (alot diff then mainland) so you may or may not like them. The island itself is BEAUTUFUL and there is lots to do. If you have any questions Im here.

Yvette9702
by Member on Jan. 5, 2012 at 3:11 PM

My husband is an E-6. I found out my oldest is going to high school off base and it seems so will my little one since we are in that district when we move into the house. I have yet to get off the base to explore. But even when the truck gets here I dont know if I want to take it out into that traffic. I am slowly finding things out as they come up. Still cant seem to understand the bus routes to brave the buses here. I will be sure to ask if its something I cant figure out. Thanks.

hawaiimom2b
by New Member on Jan. 6, 2012 at 12:09 AM

Hi, I'm Brandy. The traffic is ok if you are driving between 9am - 2pm. You want to get off the highways by 2pm because as soon as 2:30pm comes around that's when the traffic starts to come to a stop. We're Army so I can't tell you much about the base your on, but if you have any questions about the island just let me know :)

Yvette9702
by Member on Jan. 9, 2012 at 12:00 AM
We saw there is a shopping center, ala moana. Is it worth going to? Is there another closer in the area of hickam.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)