Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Lodging on ford island

Posted by on Jan. 10, 2012 at 4:03 PM
  • 24 Replies
  • 1423 Total Views
Does anyone know anything about the lodging and what is actually there. Can't find pics of rooms. Getting nervous about moving to a little island.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 10, 2012 at 4:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mommy877
by Member on Jan. 11, 2012 at 8:17 PM

We stayed on Ford Island for a month when we moved here.  It's the Navy Lodge.  It's not bad and you don't realize you're on a small island :)

https://www.navy-lodge.com/lodge_page.html?p_lodge_number=19

Yvette9702
by Member on Jan. 12, 2012 at 1:12 AM

Are the rooms a good size? I heard the kitchens werent very nice in the rooms. I sure hope I dont feel like I am stuck on a little island since we dont have a vehicle to get around yet.

melissadewitt01
by Member on Jan. 12, 2012 at 8:02 AM
I'll be on ford island in the beginning of April let me know what you think!!! How many rooms do you need? What rank? I'm so nervous too!!! I mean the island is as big as our neighborhood!!!! Is this a gated area?!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Yvette9702
by Member on Jan. 12, 2012 at 12:38 PM

I will let you know what it looks like come Saturday. Well I am figuring we will get a 2 bedroom (hopefully) It'll be my 2 boys and myself. Thats what we got here on Hickam. My husband is an E-6. My only problem is crossing that long bridge over the water. I do not like bridges. Are you going to lodging or staying in housing there?

melissadewitt01
by Member on Jan. 12, 2012 at 3:20 PM
I'm trying to do lodging somewhere near there since we will be moving during school and my kids are school-agers but it's so hard when I don't know what housing area we will get!!!! So are you going to live on Hickman or fords island?! My husband will be working on fords island (brig) so he wants a place there but I've heard all those houses were built in the 50s????!!! Also can someone please tell me if Hawaii has those HUGE water bugs/roaches?! I've hearsay they do I so hope it's not true!!!! A roach is bad enough then make them fly yuck!!!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Yvette9702
by Member on Jan. 12, 2012 at 4:16 PM

I know what you mean with the schools.  I got one into school and that is because he is in high school and thats the same it seems where ever we move on this base. My 3rd grader is another story. I am not looking forward to putting him into a school for maybe 3 weeks only to move him to his regular school after we move into our house.  As for that we will be moving into housing on Hickam but of course it wont be available till if I'm lucky the 10th of Feb. I hear the housing on Pearl Harbor is nice but I dont know about on Ford Island. I cant seem to find any recent pics of that place.  Very irritating.  It is horrible at how if you go without your husband you are pretty much an outsider.  We have been doing things on our own. I also heard stories of roaches before we got here and I didnt want to believe them but sadly they are true. In the lodging here we have the small and medium(ish) size inside.  I have noticed walking outside at night the big bugs are out there. As for water bugs, I havent seen those and I hope not to. I do not like those. My son has had to catch and throw out like 3 lizards from the room. I am hoping it wont be like that on the Island. I cant enjoy staying anywhere when I am worried that a bug might pop out of somewhere.  

mommy877
by Member on Jan. 12, 2012 at 6:54 PM

Quoting Yvette9702:

Are the rooms a good size? I heard the kitchens werent very nice in the rooms. I sure hope I dont feel like I am stuck on a little island since we dont have a vehicle to get around yet.

Well there are 4 of us.  The rooms was small.  The one we stayed in was a small living room/dining area.  The hall to the bedroom was a pretty much a kitchenette-stove, microwave, smal refrigerator, dishes, pots, pans.  There were to queen beds and a bathroom in the bedroom.  And there wasn't a door to separate the living area and bedroom area.   There's a little store in the lobby.  

mommy877
by Member on Jan. 12, 2012 at 6:58 PM

Quoting melissadewitt01:

I'll be on ford island in the beginning of April let me know what you think!!! How many rooms do you need? What rank? I'm so nervous too!!! I mean the island is as big as our neighborhood!!!! Is this a gated area?!

There is only one way on, and one way off.  It is gated.  Only military and if you have guest pass.  They have the uss missouri there to tour

mommy877
by Member on Jan. 12, 2012 at 7:05 PM

Quoting melissadewitt01:
My husband will be working on fords island (brig) so he wants a place there but I've heard all those houses were built in the 50s????!!! Also can someone please tell me if Hawaii has those HUGE water bugs/roaches?! I've hearsay they do I so hope it's not true!!!! A roach is bad enough then make them fly yuck!!!!!

The houses are historic and they are beautiful.  Lol not sure what they look like inside, but as we walked by, they were all high ranking who lived there at the time.  There are some newer homes on the island as well.  They're not all old. :)  We live offpost, but it would be nice to live there or on hickam.  As for the cockroaches, when we moved into our place, my husband found a cockroach as big as his hand.  sorry :)  we find them all the time, if you're lucky, they're stuck on their back and can't move

Yvette9702
by Member on Jan. 12, 2012 at 8:26 PM

Oh joy! So I am going to be stuck in a small room with 2 boys! Ugh!!!! So I am going to miss being in this lodging with separate rooms and tvs in each bdrm and living area. Roomy kitchen area.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN