Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Give me the scoop

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2012 at 8:30 PM
  • 10 Replies
  • 686 Total Views

I need any and all information from where to live to schools and fun things to do.  Is it better to live on or off post?  I have heard the schools are really bad. How bad is bad?  The two areas we have been drawn to off post are Mililani and Haleiwa. Any suggestions/opinions on other areas. Which areas should we avoid at all costs? We will be arriving in July/August not actual orders yet just a letter of intent.  We are Army.  Thanks! 

~~~Tina~~~ 

tm_burriss. Get yours at bighugelabs.com/flickr

by on Jan. 25, 2012 at 8:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hawaiimom2b
by New Member on Jan. 31, 2012 at 12:52 AM

We are also army. We live off post. I dont know what it's like to live on post, but Schofeild is very crowded. It has too many people in such a small space. We live in the Launani Valley whitch is considered Mililani. We love it here in the valley. Alot of Military here, one way in and out so no through traffic. Very peaceful and quiet, with small playground, pools, basketball and tennis courts, nice walking area next to creek, and the grounds are always being kept up nice. As far as schools go I wouldn't know. My baby boy is due is due June 28th. But I have heard bad things about the schools. I have a friend who is a teacher on the north shore and this will be her last year after teaching here for 8 years. She can't take it anymore, she said it just seems like no one here cares about their education. I don't know much, we've only lived here since Sept. but I'll be glad to help in any way I can. I don't get on here much so if you like you can email me at brandy_meeks89@yahoo.com

Ilaria
by New Member on Feb. 8, 2012 at 9:56 AM
1 mom liked this
My family and I lived in Mililani (we actually lived in the apartments in Mililani valley - right off exit 8) for four years and LOVED it. Mililani is a really nice town. Haleiwa is a great place if you want to be by the beach. They have a GREAT beach. The biggest problem with Haleiwa (not sure which branch your DH is in) is going to be traffic heading to Schofield or Hickam since there is only one main highway you'll have to take.

Military Spouses - attend school for free with MyCAA! Earn your paralegal, medical coding, office assistant, or medical transcription certificate in as little as 3 months.

Courtneycorteal
by Member on Feb. 20, 2012 at 1:10 PM

we live on post but on wheeler not as bad and a short drive to schofield, i like my house i have a big yard and they dont take the full BAH. cant say anything on schools as my son is 8months lol

ma2calebzoeyeli
by on Feb. 21, 2012 at 11:31 AM
1 mom liked this

Thanks ladies.  I think we have decided to live on post and if the wait is too long for post to live in Milillani or Haleiwa.  Now we just have to find a rental that will allow pets.

Courtneycorteal
by Member on Feb. 21, 2012 at 1:42 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting ma2calebzoeyeli:

Thanks ladies.  I think we have decided to live on post and if the wait is too long for post to live in Milillani or Haleiwa.  Now we just have to find a rental that will allow pets.

http://www.fcnavyhawaii.com/ check out there site they can make you a appointment instead of waiting to get on island like the island palms does, i got here on the 2nd and in to a house on the 7th and it has central air lol alot have window units, also you usually get 2000Bah and if you ask for the cheaper housing for a 2 bd i only pay 1600 a month , sorry ive just lived on schofield and it sucks. pulse if u live on wheeler every house has a backyard, some aren't fenced in though but pets are welcome lol

Apollos82
by on May. 15, 2012 at 7:47 PM
Is wheller army or navy housing? We are reenlisting in Army and Schofield is our top wish list location.

Quoting Courtneycorteal:

Quoting ma2calebzoeyeli:

http://www.fcnavyhawaii.com/ check out there site they can make you a appointment instead of waiting to get on island like the island palms does, i got here on the 2nd and in to a house on the 7th and it has central air lol alot have window units, also you usually get 2000Bah and if you ask for the cheaper housing for a 2 bd i only pay 1600 a month , sorry ive just lived on schofield and it sucks. pulse if u live on wheeler every house has a backyard, some aren't fenced in though but pets are welcome lol

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ma2calebzoeyeli
by on May. 30, 2012 at 10:13 AM

We have decided to homeschool but I have heard from quite a few women that the schools have improved a lot.

Courtneycorteal
by Member on Jul. 8, 2012 at 4:47 PM

Wheeler is army, its the airborn units

Quoting Apollos82:

Is wheller army or navy housing? We are reenlisting in Army and Schofield is our top wish list location.

Quoting Courtneycorteal:

Quoting ma2calebzoeyeli:

Tata1204
by New Member on Jul. 19, 2012 at 12:35 PM

Quoting Courtneycorteal:

we live on post but on wheeler not as bad and a short drive to schofield, i like my house i have a big yard and they dont take the full BAH. cant say anything on schools as my son is 8months lol

what do you mean they don't take the whole bah how much do they take or are u allowed to keep im asking because my husband and i are pcsins there in october 

thanks in advance!

MrsC7906
by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 2:50 AM
In the unrennovated houses (like I live in) you can chose to just pay the rent. You receive the BAH and your allotment may be for less. In our case, we pay 1900 for a 4 bedroom and pocket a few hundred a month. With island palm, we had a 2 bedroom for all of our BAH. So if you get promoted, you pocket the difference with navy. With army, they take it all with no house upgrade.

Quoting Tata1204:

Quoting Courtneycorteal:

what do you mean they don't take the whole bah how much do they take or are u allowed to keep im asking because my husband and i are pcsins there in october 

thanks in advance!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN