Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

PCSing to Hawaii OCtober!!!! many questions

Posted by on May. 4, 2012 at 9:40 PM
  • 1 Replies
  • 444 Total Views

ok this is our first pcs move overseas and im excited to be going to hawaii but im freaking out over the move. How long does it usually take for your household goods and car to arrive in hawaii? We are trying to figure out when to ship our stuff. and i know with an instate move they give you travel money, will they do that since we are going overseas, i know they pay for our plane tickets just didnt know if they gave us like meal money or something. I believe we will be going to wheeler airfield how are the on post houses there and do i have to wait till we are actually there to get on the housing list or can i do it when we get our orders? and how are the schools there i will have a kindergarten and a 5th grader. and one last question what is the time difference? I am currently in kansas, thank you for taking the time to read this and any advice or info you can give me will be greatly appreciated :)

by on May. 4, 2012 at 9:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-1):
melissadewitt01
by Member on May. 6, 2012 at 6:17 PM
Hello and welcome or should I say aloha lol!!! We just got here from north Carolina and I love it!!!! We drive cross country (nc to Cali) and shipped our car from Cali which takes around 18 days from port to us getting it.... They paid us per miles and food plus tla covered hotels etc (we could take money in advance for
Move or after) we took half up front.... Then when we got here we stayed at the best western near the airport because they do a promissory note (which is just a paper you sign saying you will pay from the room once the military pays first) we are a marine family stationed on ford island (a navy base) so things maybe a little different but I don't think to different we could have gotten onto housing on the marine base waiting list once we got orders but we knew we wanted to be closer to my husbands
Work so we waited until we got here and went to forrest city (the housing office) and we just wanted any base near his
Work..... They offered us two houses out first day (one navy housing one army housing) we decided to turn them both down ( learning from the housing office that a nicer one was coming up within two weeks) and wait for that one (that makes your tla stop though) so you have to pay for lodging at that point but you can be on any base here no matter what branch. We are 6 hours behind east coast time and schools they are all
Different some whee uniforms some don't etc but you have to pay for your kids to ride the school bus!!!! It's like 77 a quarter per kid both ways (don't quote me on the price I drive mine since school is almost over) things are a bit more pricey so get any large items you want there and bring them here (furniture wise) food well expect to pay a 1/3 more than normal....gas isn't bad around 4.35 (ish) humm I guess that's enough to get you started lol let me
Know i you need anything else and I'll
Try and find out i I don't know my email is dewitt6707@yahoo.com

Great luck!!!
Melissa
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)