Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Holiday Plans?

Posted by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 3:31 PM
  • 9 Replies
  • 262 Total Views

So what are the different traditions for your families!  And how do you juggle visiting with both sides of the family?  With this being my little girl's first Christmas, we are wanting to stick to a few traditions we grew up with, but also start a few of our own.  I know we'll probably go to my parents for Christmas dinner....and growing up we always opened just our stockings on Christmas Eve, so I want to keep that one.  We'll probably have Christmas with my in-laws after dinner with my parents on Christmas Day or maybe even breakfast on Christmas Eve. 

reindeer 1reindeer 2sleigh

by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 3:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
TLGtara
by Bronze Member on Dec. 15, 2008 at 4:40 PM

We always do Christmas day with my family (both my brothers lives out of state and come for Christmas, so this is the only time of the year I get to see them, typically).  This year we'll do gifts at our house on Christmas Eve, then head for my parents' house that afternoon.  We're coming home on Saturday, and doing Christmas with my in-law's on Sunday.

Tara, mama to Drew (3/1/05) & Abby (2/3/08)
pumpooga
by Group Admin on Dec. 15, 2008 at 4:47 PM

No juggling this year- we're having to stay in Springfield, again, this Christmas as Tom's job doesn't permit him to have that week, or any week around Christmas and New Years off. Last year we spent Christmas just sitting infront of the TV. It was awful! This year we're thinking of more to do- like checking out the lights in Branson and ordering food in on Christmas Eve and cooking the day of Christmas :)

mindiemoore
by Bronze Member on Dec. 15, 2008 at 5:31 PM

We always do Christmas Eve with my family and we exchange gifts from each other and have a nice little meal on that evening, usually around 7 or 8 after we go to church, and then on Christmas morning Joe, Alyssa and I spend that day just the three of us opening presents and then I make a traditional Christmas dinner for the three of us. His parents usually come up a day or two after Christmas and I make another dinner of some sort for them as well. This year though, I am working in my church on Christmas Eve so my whole family is coming over Christmas Day and then his parents are coming the day after. I like our normal way better. That way we get to see evryone around the holidays but we get to just enjoy our little family on Christmas Day.

weloveourhailey
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 6:23 PM

We are going to Tulsa to see my family.  My brothers will be visiting and my Aunt and Uncle and cousins will be coming.  We open gifts at our house before we leave to Tulsa, then they open gifts from Meme and Papa there.  We have a great big feast!  We'll probably look for a Christmas light show in Tulsa to go see.  We don't normally do Christmas with my husband's family.  They don't really celebrate the holidays and they tend to bring me down.

Lexismom716
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 10:56 PM

Nates fam lives in AR, and they were up this past weekend so that his family. ALL my family lives here, in spfd. and for the past 35 years, my moms family has gone to my aunts and done it their. On christmas day, Nate, baby and I will have a HUGE breakfast and open presents, then go to my mom or dads house(theyre divorced)

Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

angelwreathholding ornamentschristmas tree

Jesus is the reason for the season

LaceyP86
by on Dec. 16, 2008 at 8:59 AM

This year we are doing Christmas with my Husbands family the sunday before christmas, and then we do christmas with my family on christmas eve, and then christmas day we stay home and open gifts as a family, except for this year we are driving up to KC on Christmas Day in the afternoon to have christmas with my grandma and so she can see the kids since she doesnt get to very often.

newmom530
by Member on Dec. 16, 2008 at 12:26 PM

This year my family is coming from AZ but we won't be celebrating christmas until the 26th because my dh is working christmas day. we will open presents in the morning and then cook a big late afternoon lunch. I can't wait! This year will be so much fun with Natalie last year she was only 6 months old for christmas but this year she will really enjoy opening presents and get excited about the toys.

dawnmarie2012
by Bronze Member on Dec. 16, 2008 at 2:00 PM

This year, we are doing things a little different. We usually do Christmas & breakfast with my Inlaws in the morning, and dinner and Christmas with my parents that evening This year, we will be going to look at Christmas lights on Christmas Eve and then heading to Church. Christmas morning, EVERYONE is coming here. PJs are the dress code. I am fixing a huge breakfast..muffins, biscuits & gravy, bacon, eggs, hashbrowns, pancakes (Emma requested them) and home made cinnamon rolls. We will open presents after we eat. And have snack foods for the rest of the day. Christmas evening, me, kanen and the girls, are going to see a movie and then out to eat. Going to see a movie on Thanksgiving and Christmas is a tradition my mom started with me. She was a single mom when I was growing up, so it was just me and her. We'd open presents and cook a big dinner, then head to the movie. Its something Ive always remembered. I may not be able to tell you what gifts I got a certain year, but I can tell you what movie we saw :) Its definately something we will do with our girls.

andrea_smkns
by Bronze Member on Dec. 16, 2008 at 5:23 PM

Every Year we do about the same thing, We go to my Grandma Millies house ( my dads side of the family) on Christmas Eve and then Christmas Morning/Afternoon my sisters and mom's side of the family all go to my Mother's house. Then Christmas Night My sisters, and our kids all go to our dads house at night.

My husbands parents dont do anything the same so we kinda just see them whenever we can, I think this year they are coming over the monday after Christmas for dinner. But Traditions I hope to start when our daughter gets a little older is opening presents Christmas morning before going to my mom's ( her grandma) I also hope and plan on watching all the classic movies with her when shes older ( right now shes only 18 months old and could care less about tv) So I hope some more traditions are added to our family but right now its a lot of seeing different family and eating and opening presents all day long.

( Oh and Im also excited for when shes old enough to decorate sugar cookies and things, I like to bake and it will be fun to make a mess with icing lol)

Lilypie Expecting a baby Ticker

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)