Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Anybody make homemade baby food??

Posted by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 11:38 PM
  • 8 Replies
  • 290 Total Views

I am going to attempt to start making my own homemade baby food.  Does anyone do this now for their baby or have you done this in the past.  I've done lots of reading and research, just checking to see if anyone out there has and tips.  Thanks ladies!!!

by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 11:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
melissamommyof3
by on Dec. 18, 2008 at 9:07 AM

Yes, it is sooo easy and really economial and much better tasting without any added chemicals for keeping fresh for months in a jar.

Pick the item you are going to make one squash, one sweet potatoe or apple are easy first foods.  Peel and cut in large chunks.  Steam in a little water tll very tender.  Stick in blender with the water, do not drain.  Add more water if needed to be reall smooth. Pour into ice cube trays and freeze.  After frozen put into zip lock baggies.  One cube is about 1 oz.  Thaw and serve. 

If you buy little resealable plastic containers.  Glad makes one that 2 ice cubes fit in, it makes it easy to travel.  Just stick two cubes in the cup in your diaper bag as you leave in the morning and they are ready in about 2 hours to eat. 

I have a magic bullet so I can steam and blend in the same cup, very easy. 

Liza0210
by on Dec. 18, 2008 at 10:16 AM

Thanks!!  I also have a magic bullet and think it's going to work great with this, but I also have a baby food grinder.  I'll probably use both and see what works best for me.  I did so much research last night on it and have lots of recipes, I'm gonna get started tonight!!  We have some Gerber Baby Food, but when you do the price comparison it's so much cheaper to make it yourself.  The website I was doing my research on said that baking the food in the over makes the taste come out more, so I'm gonna try that.  Thanks for the help!!

Quoting melissamommyof3:

Yes, it is sooo easy and really economial and much better tasting without any added chemicals for keeping fresh for months in a jar.

Pick the item you are going to make one squash, one sweet potatoe or apple are easy first foods.  Peel and cut in large chunks.  Steam in a little water tll very tender.  Stick in blender with the water, do not drain.  Add more water if needed to be reall smooth. Pour into ice cube trays and freeze.  After frozen put into zip lock baggies.  One cube is about 1 oz.  Thaw and serve. 

If you buy little resealable plastic containers.  Glad makes one that 2 ice cubes fit in, it makes it easy to travel.  Just stick two cubes in the cup in your diaper bag as you leave in the morning and they are ready in about 2 hours to eat. 

I have a magic bullet so I can steam and blend in the same cup, very easy. 

Gem0614
by on Dec. 18, 2008 at 10:23 AM

I make mine exactly like the first poster. Keeping it in the freezer like that is so wonderful.  As your baby progresses through foods and gets older, you can just make your own dinner and blend up a little to feed the baby. I have just started that with my 10 mth old so she is now eating almost the same things as us. I love not having all of the preservatives that baby foods are packed full of.

TLGtara
by Bronze Member on Dec. 18, 2008 at 10:35 AM

I made all of Abby's pureed food.  I got my recipes from www.wholesomebabyfood.com.  It was so easy, and I really enjoyed doing it! 

Tara, mama to Drew (3/1/05) & Abby (2/3/08)
StrolrStridSWMO
by Member on Dec. 18, 2008 at 10:38 AM

I love that website!!  It is a great resource.  I did the same as the other posters, it is easy and the flavors of the food are so much richer than store-bought baby food. 

Quoting TLGtara:

I made all of Abby's pureed food.  I got my recipes from www.wholesomebabyfood.com.  It was so easy, and I really enjoyed doing it! 

dumbbelljumping ropeI am a 30 year old SAHM to a 2 yr. old boy and a newborn boy. I am also ACE Group Fitness Certified and the official local provider of Stroller Strides.  Check it out here!

kellybelly7570
by on Dec. 18, 2008 at 11:58 AM

I make baby food to use at home........almost exactly the way it's described in the first response.     For visiting family, or on-the-go, i use jar baby food.

Liza0210
by on Dec. 23, 2008 at 10:58 AM

Yeah I got a lot of my recipes from Wholesome Baby Food.  I made my first batch last night and it was super fun and so easy.  Way easier than I thought.  I didn't steam anything, just baked them and they turned out super yummy, before blending it of course.  I'm gonna start baking all my veggies, cause it's just so good!! 

Thank you girls for all your replys, it's been helpful!! 

shanamarie
by on Dec. 31, 2008 at 8:57 AM

I made Lillian's baby food and also got my recipes from that website.  I would give her jar food when we were out or traveling and she didn't like it near as much as the homemade food.

Quoting TLGtara:

I made all of Abby's pureed food.  I got my recipes from http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/.  It was so easy, and I really enjoyed doing it! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)