Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Questions regarding lupus and labs......

Posted by on Aug. 25, 2012 at 4:49 PM
  • 12 Replies
  • 313 Total Views

Has anyone ever had a positive ANA test and then never have a positive reading again?? I've had one positive ANA and tested negative on 2 different occasions?!!  This has really confused me!  Also, does anyone else have a low white blood count, that is not because of a prescription you are on?  I have been having a nagging, discomfort today from the waist down.  It's almost like a heaviness in my bottom with having to pee being more frequent.......does this sound like a normal "flare up"??

Please someone respond and let me know the answers to my questions above....

by on Aug. 25, 2012 at 4:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sillytime
by New Member on Aug. 25, 2012 at 8:24 PM
I also have had 2 positive ANA tests and it was when I was very sick! That was about 2 years ago and since then every time I'm checked it's negative! I still have pain and my hair falls out randomly. I'm really not sure why myself! My dr said you can get a positive ANA and not have lupus but I disagree in my case!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jdouglas111
by Member on Aug. 25, 2012 at 9:17 PM

It is possible to have a positive ana and then negatives.  It all depends on how active your illness is and what types of medications you are on at the time of the tests.  Everyone experiences different symptoms during a flare too, so that could be whats happening or it could be something completely different.

Did you give birth vaginally, have you had a hysterectimy?  Either of those can cause damage to the pelvic floor muscles or bladder, another issue could be inflamation of your mucus membranes if you have sojgrens with your lupus.  I have lupus with secondary sojgrens and when I'm flaring all of my mucus membrames inflame...that means nasal passages, mouth, eyes, and groin.

jdouglas111
by Member on Aug. 25, 2012 at 9:19 PM

Are you seeing a rhuemetologist?  If you've had 2 positive ANA's there shouldn't be an arguement about if you have a connective tissue disease or not, they may be trying to say it's uknown if it's lupus for sure. 

Quoting sillytime:

I also have had 2 positive ANA tests and it was when I was very sick! That was about 2 years ago and since then every time I'm checked it's negative! I still have pain and my hair falls out randomly. I'm really not sure why myself! My dr said you can get a positive ANA and not have lupus but I disagree in my case!

sillytime
by New Member on Aug. 25, 2012 at 9:38 PM
I have seen a rheumatologist he tested my blood and it was. Egative. He said I probably have a mild case and I can go on Meds for pain but I chose not to! I get tested about every 6 months or so because I also had hypothyroid for about 2 years and it suddenly went away. The Dr had never seen that before! I don't know what's up with me I've had all kinds of different medical problems they can't seam to diagnose my whole life. I just deal with it. If I get really sick I see the dr and that's about it. I was really sick recently for almost 3 weeks every day I had a fever up to 103 I went to the dr 3 times took all kinds of tests including chest x rays and naisil x rays she couldn't find anything wrong with me! I was so so sick it was horrible! I went through two rounds of medications and nothing worked. Luckily I got better it's weird!

Quoting jdouglas111:

Are you seeing a rhuemetologist?  If you've had 2 positive ANA's there shouldn't be an arguement about if you have a connective tissue disease or not, they may be trying to say it's uknown if it's lupus for sure. 

Quoting sillytime:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tdg77
by New Member on Aug. 26, 2012 at 9:24 AM
Thank you all for replying! I've had 1 positive Ana and one positive ra. I'm just confused?!? I've also had a really low blood count for a couple years and I'm not on any meds at all. do you all have a low blood count? Is that something common in lupus?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jdouglas111
by Member on Aug. 26, 2012 at 10:20 AM
It varies with my illness activity but normally my wbc is high and rbc is low.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tdg77
by New Member on Aug. 26, 2012 at 11:36 AM
Thank you all for replying! I've had 1 positive Ana and one positive ra. I'm just confused?!? I've also had a really low blood count for a couple years and I'm not on any meds at all. do you all have a low blood count? Is that something common in lupus?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momof3inCT
by Member on Aug. 26, 2012 at 12:40 PM

Ihave had a low blood count for almost my whole life and lots of unexpected illness and pains till 5 yrs ago well 7 yrs ago my blood work came back off meaning my liver enzymes were way high so my primary sent me to a gastro dr who kept trying to insinuate that I had some kind of STD like hepititis finally I got annoyed with him asked for a referral to a rheumatologist and .........he ran 1 blood test and was like DUH you have lupus he said I was not positive for ana at the time but all my other signs led him to lupus, then 6 mo after seeing him I had a flare and BOOM I tested positive for ana and that was for a year then I actually began to feel better on hydrocolorclqunine whatever it is call basically Plaquenil, then I went off it to have my 4th baby (drs said it would be fine b/c my lupus was better then it has been in years............so now im done breastfeeding and back on my meds b/c symptoms have poped back up and guess what.........now I DONT test positive for ANA so the drs keep telling me........like they are insinuating it is in my head........... I HATE DRS!!!

tdg77
by New Member on Aug. 26, 2012 at 2:48 PM
@momof3..... Bless your heart!! I have been really scared and anxiety has taken over my life!! I've tested positive 1 time and this past test was negative. He ran another Ana bc my WBC was low and it was negative. My WBC has been low for 2-3 years and he's wanting to do a bone marrow biopsy but I'm still thinking it could be from lupus?! This weekend I've had a lot of pelvic pressure with increased urinary frequency! It feels nothing like a uti or bladder infection and am curious if this can happen with lupus??
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momof3inCT
by Member on Aug. 27, 2012 at 4:35 PM

I say DO ANY AND ALL tests they offer b/c never know what they find they can treat and possibly make you more comfortable!!!

As for the kidney issues YES lupus attacks the kidneys more then any other organ so most likely it is due to the lupus and my dr does check me all the time for any kidney function issues, so watch that and make sure your dr check for UTI's or kidney infections (I had one it was painful) all due to lupus, so KNOW your not alone we have all been there.

As for your anxiety...............ME too I have learned to not allow it to interfere with my daily life but there are times it gets to me and I feel like I am having panic attacks, this whole illness is very draining not just physically but emotioinally!

Quoting tdg77:

@momof3..... Bless your heart!! I have been really scared and anxiety has taken over my life!! I've tested positive 1 time and this past test was negative. He ran another Ana bc my WBC was low and it was negative. My WBC has been low for 2-3 years and he's wanting to do a bone marrow biopsy but I'm still thinking it could be from lupus?! This weekend I've had a lot of pelvic pressure with increased urinary frequency! It feels nothing like a uti or bladder infection and am curious if this can happen with lupus??

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)