Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

WHAT LAB TESTS INDICATE LUPUS?

Posted by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 9:39 PM
  • 2 Replies
  • 177 Total Views

When I went to my family doctor with joint pain and fatigue, she ran a series of lab tests. The Rheumatoid factor came back ok. The labs that brought the diagnosis of Lupus were the ANA Direct and the Anti-SSA. These were both at high levels. Are these the normal lab tests that indicate a diagnosis of Lupus? I was referred to a Rheumatologist. My appointment is in a couple of days. What can I expect at this appointment. Will he run more lab tests?

I appreciate all of the input and knowledge. I am very new to this diagnosis so I treasure any input you all may have!

Shelly

by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 9:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
Marv9
by Member on Jan. 28, 2009 at 7:06 PM
Lets see he may suspect lupus with some of the test results already he will likely run a anti-DNA test check your ESR you may have more tests run prior to actual diagnosis but lets see my anti-DNA was negative but my SS tests where positive along with other factors such as the butterfly rash , fatigue, joint pain, issues with pregnancies it was a diagnosis of lupus. Don't panic just do your research and then go in with questions.
sarasotasandi
by Member on Jan. 28, 2009 at 7:09 PM

The ANA and SSa together with symptoms would give your diagnosis.  In some people, it is the ANA and the dsDNA, everyone is different.

At your first appointment, they will go over you inch by inch, checking for other signs, symptoms or affects from the disease.  Things you wouldn't expect, like checking your feet and hands, asking about sores in the mouth, etc.  You should expect they will do additional lab tests, some to confirm the diagnosis, others to monitor your progression. 

I don't remember the tests they are doing to monitor - it's been such a whirlwind that we just go, give the blood sample and the doctor calls us to increase or decrease her meds.  At our next visit, I want to really look at the tests and the results so I can see what the doctor is seeing. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)