Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Corinthains 7 (Weekly Bible Study)

Posted by on Feb. 3, 2010 at 12:13 AM
  • 5 Replies
  • 175 Total Views

1Corinthains 7(NIV)

Marriage

1.Now for the matters you wrote about:It is good for a man not to marry.

2.But since there is so much immorality,each man should have his own wife,and each woman her own husband.

3.The husband should fulfill his marital duty to his wife,and likewise the wife to her husband.

4.The wife's body does not belong to her alone but also to her husband.In the same way,the husband's body does not belong to him alone but also to his wife.

5.Do not deprive each other except by mutual consent and for a time,so that you may devote yourselves to prayer. Then come together again so that Satan will not tempt you because of your lack of self-control.

6.I say this as a concession,not as a command.

7.I wish that all men were as I am.But each man has his own gift from God; one has this gift another has that.

8.Now to the unmarried and the widows I say:It is good for them to stay unmarried,as I am.

9.But if they cannot control themselves,they should marry,for it is better to marry than to burn with passion.

10. To married I give this command(not I,but the Lord):A Wife must not separate from her husband.

11.But if she does,she must remain unmarrie or else be reconciled to her husband.And a husband must not divorce his wife.

12.To the rest I say this(I,not the Lord): If any brother has a wife who is not a believer and she is willing to live with him,he must not divorce her.

13.And if a woman has a husband who is not a believer and he is willing to live with her.she must not divorce him.

14.For the unbelieving husband has been santified through his wife,and the unbelieving wife has been sanctified through her believing husband.Otherwise your children would be unclean,but as it is they are holy.

15.But if the unbeliever leaves,let him do so. A believing man or woman is not bound in such circumstances; God has calle us to live in peace.

16.How do you know,wife,whether you will save your husband? Or,how do you know,husband,whether you will save your wife?

17.Nevertheless,each one should retain the place in life that the Lord assigned to him. This is the rule I lay down in all churches.

18.Was a man already circumised when he was called? He should not become uncircumcised. Was a man uncircumcised when he was called? He should not be circumcised.

19.Circumcision in nothing and uncircumcision is nothing. Keeping God's commands is what counts.

20.Each one should remain in the situation which he was in when God called him.

21.Were you a slave when you were called? Don't let it trouble you-although if you can gain your freedom,do so.

22.For he who was a slave when he called by the Lord is the Lord's freedman; similary,he who was a free man when he was called is Christ's slave.

23.You were bought at a price;do not become slaves of men.

24.Brothers,each man,as responsible to God,should remain in the situation God called him to.

25.Now about virgins: I have no command from the Lord,but I give judgment as one who by the Lord's mercy is trustworthy.

26.Because of the present crisis, I think that it is goodo remain as you are.

27.Are you married? Do not seek a divorce. Are you unmarried? Do not look for a wife.

28.But if you do marry,you have not sinned; and if a virgin marries,she has not sinned. But those who marry will face many troubles in this life,and I want to spare you this.

29.What I mean,brothers, is that the time is short. From now on those who have wives should live as if they had none;

30.those who mourn,as if they did not; those who are happy, as if they were not; those who buy something,as if it were not theirs to keep;

31.those who use the things of the world,as if not engrossed in them. For this world in its present form is passing away.

32.I would like you to be free from concern. An unmarried man is concerned about the Lord's affairs-how he can please the Lord.

33.But a married man is concerned about the affairs of this world-how he can please his wife-

34.and his interest are divided. An unmarried women or virgin is concerned about the Lord's affairs: Her aim is to be devoted to the Lord in both body and spirit. But a married woman is concerned about the affairs of this world-how she can please her husband.

35. I am saying this for your own good,not to restrict you,but that you may live in a right way in undivided devotion to the Lord.

36.If anyone thinks he is acting improperly toward the virgin he is engaged to,and if she is getting along in years and he feels he ought to marry, he should do as he wants. He is not sinning.They should get married.

37.But the man who has settled the matter in his own mind,who is under no compulsion but has control over his own will,and who has made up  his mind not to marry the virgin-this man also does the right thing.

38.So then,he who marries the virgin does right,but he who does not marry her does even better.

39.A woman is bound to her husband as long as he lives. But if her husband dies, she is free to marry anyone she wishes,but he must belong to the Lord.

40.In my judgment,she is happier if she stays as she is-and I think that I too have the Spirit of God.

Questions:

1.Upon first reading this chapter what is the first thing that pops out to you.

2.Did you learn something you didn't know after reviewing this chapter.

3.Why do you think Paul said (He wish everyone was like him)?

4.Did Paul mean that a spouse is saved because one spouse is a believer?

5.Can you divorce you spouse because they are a unbeliever?

6.Did you notice when Paul was talking He would says I give this command(Not I,but the Lord)? why do you think he mae it clear when speaking to let those know.(I hope you understand this question if not disreguard).

YSIC Charlie

by on Feb. 3, 2010 at 12:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
DINA35
by Group Admin on Feb. 3, 2010 at 8:33 AM

Questions:

Verse 5 in part ~ Do not deprive each other of sexual relations, unless you both agree to refrain from sexual intimacy for a limited time so you can give yourselves more completely to prayer.    

You can fast from having sex in a marriage as to spend more time with God, how powerful this is you and your husband in agreement to abstain from the marriage bed for a period of time in prayer, how awesome and powerful those prayers would be, sacrifice of not just one but both the desire of the man and the woman.

No I have read this chapter many times especially after my divorce from my sons father I struggled with what to do and if I was committing a sin, but what paul doesnt say here is about unsafe marriages when abuse is present not just for the wife but also for the children.

Paul remained unmarried his entire life and devoted all his life to God's work.

NO not exactly, but it is possible by the example of the GOdly spouse that the other shall be saved. This is what happened to my husband now, he used to make fun of me as I worshiped lifting my hands in the car, singing at the top of my lungs to the Lord and now He is as I was and then some, praise God! SO it is very possible but not concrete.

NO

6.Did you notice when Paul was talking He would says I give this command(Not I,but the Lord)? why do you think he made it clear when speaking to let those know.(I hope you understand this question if not disregard).

Paul was pointing out which advice was a direct command from the old testament and which was his own advice (he was an awesome man of God and had a great mind like Christ. He would not wrongly say this is from he Lord when it was not. He was more or less at times in this chapter merely giving his advice to fellow believers based on what he knew and believed.

Charlie
by Group owner-admin on Feb. 3, 2010 at 6:49 PM

You given some awesome answer Dina,one is that you brought to my attention of both spouse's refraining from sex for prayer being so awesome.

I have during a fast tefrain from sex but I have never thought about it like you dicribed it. Thats why it is so awesome for everyone to share what they first thought about while first going over the word.

Because so many times we focuse on whats going on in our own lives and of course everyone picks up on different things. We could go over a chapter six or seven times and still learn something new.Godds word is new every day (amen).

Thank you for sharing and participating.

YSIC Charlie.

ps there is more I want to say but I'll come back later.(smile)

Prisma
by Co-Owner on Feb. 4, 2010 at 1:06 AM

Questions:

The part the really pops out is the fact that God intended marriage to last forever between one couple. God made it clear and soildified it in so many ways:

A man or woman should marry if they can't contain themselves.  Married couples bodies belong to each other. Married couples should not deprive each other of intimacy unless both consent to it; mainly when fasting. An unbelieving wife or husband sanctifies the spouse and the family. Unless adultery or unbelief caused a divorce both are to remain single  just in case both can be reconiled and death is the only true way out of marriage. 

This is so important because so many Christians get divorced for petty reasons. 

Oh yes...divorce. I learned that God said that adultery and unbelief are the only reason a couple can divorce and getting remarried to a person that did divorce under any other reasons is adultery. 

He wished everyone were unmarried so that do not have to be attending to their marriage so that more of their time and attention solely for working in God's Kingdom. 

No...he meant that they are sanctified (set apart) and the door is open for that unbelieving spouse to be saved. Especially if that believing spouse is fasting, praying, and living a life that emulates God.

Yes.

6.Did you notice when Paul was talking He would says I give this command(Not I,but the Lord)? why do you think he mae it clear when speaking to let those know.(I hope you understand this question if not disreguard).

I believe Paul meant that since he has wisdom from God and full of the Holy Spirit his commands can be trusted.   

add_chase
by Member on Feb. 4, 2010 at 2:48 PM

The thing that popped out at me the most was that widows should stay unmarried. I actually just had a conversation like this with my husband last night. He was saying that if something happened to him, he would be okay with me remarrying. I told him no way. If something happened to him and I remarried, how would I explain that to him in heaven? That's why I would never remarry.

I did learn something new. I learned that it's wiser to not get married at all. Being a newer Christian I've been waiting to see scripture that supported this, and am thankful you pointed it out to me, because I never understood why priests, monks, nuns never got married. Now I understand =)

I'll answer more later I have the baby on my lap it's hard to type LOL

mrswademom3
by Member on Feb. 8, 2010 at 10:12 PM

Questions:

That Satan can use our own bodies and urges against us as Christians.  Scary: v.5: "so that Satan may not tempt you because of your lack of self- control", NRSV

Yes.  I have "read" this passage of scripture many times in the past but never realized v. 10 was denoted as coming directly from the Lord, and in v. 12 makes the distinction "not the Lord but I". 

Paul was single, and evidently had his will and mind under control.  Paul was able to live in devotion to God without the added pressures of caring for a wife.  I think Paul actually felt that given the feeling of end times hanging over the first century Christians' heads, it would be best to move forward and worship as unencumbered as possible.  The first Christians were under the impression that Jesus' return was imminent, and this certainly would have played into Paul's instruction. 

Yes and no.  In the NRSV it is worded: v.16 "Wife, for all you know, you might save your husband.  Husband, for all you know, you might save your wife." Whether Paul speaks of this as a good chance or a mere possibility didn't come clear for me.  To me it seems to speak to the possibility that the unbelieving spouse come to Christ due to seeing the believing spouse walk with Jesus and follow his commands. Like saying: "Who knows, maybe since your husband sees you doing right, he'll want to be what you are", and thus be saved. It seems to mean that the believing spouse should live as if their conduct could bring their unbelieving spouse to become saved, since as humans, we can't see all ends and don't know either way. 

Not if they are amenable to continuing to live in marriage with the believer.

I think he wanted to convey that since there are lots of his feelings and opinions in this letter to the church at Corinth, this verse was not him speaking, but it came from the Lord.  I think he must have thought he would receive some resistance on this point or he wouldn't have worded it that way. 

This is one of my favorite books-I enjoy all the letters to the churches-they were so packed with instruction.

YSIC Charlie

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)