Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Corinthians 11 (Weekly Bible Study)

Posted by on Mar. 5, 2010 at 4:58 AM
  • 10 Replies
  • 308 Total Views

1 Corinthians 11 (NIV)

1.Follow my example, as I follow the example of Christ.

Propriety in Worship

2.I praise you for remembering me in everything and for holding to the teachings, just as I passed them on to you.

3.Now I want you to realize that the head of every man is Christ, and the head of the woman is man, and the head of Christ is God.

4.Every man who prays or prophesies with his head covered dishonors his head.

5.And every woman who prays or prophesies with her head uncovered dishonors her head—it is just as though her head were shaved.

6.If a woman does not cover her head, she should have her hair cut off; and if it is a disgrace for a woman to have her hair cut or shaved off, she should cover her head.

7.A man ought not to cover his head, since he is the image and glory of God; but the woman is the glory of man.

8.For man did not come from woman, but woman from man;

9.neither was man created for woman, but woman for man.

10.For this reason, and because of the angels, the woman ought to have a sign of authority on her head.

11.In the Lord, however, woman is not independent of man, nor is man independent of woman.

12.For as woman came from man, so also man is born of woman. But everything comes from God.

13.Judge for yourselves: Is it proper for a woman to pray to God with her head uncovered?

14.Does not the very nature of things teach you that if a man has long hair, it is a disgrace to him,

15.but that if a woman has long hair, it is her glory? For long hair is given to her as a covering.

16.If anyone wants to be contentious about this, we have no other practice—nor do the churches of God.

The Lord's Supper

17.In the following directives I have no praise for you, for your meetings do more harm than good.

18.In the first place, I hear that when you come together as a church, there are divisions among you, and to some extent I believe it.

19.No doubt there have to be differences among you to show which of you have God's approval.

20.When you come together, it is not the Lord's Supper you eat,

21.for as you eat, each of you goes ahead without waiting for anybody else. One remains hungry, another gets drunk.

22.Don't you have homes to eat and drink in? Or do you despise the church of God and humiliate those who have nothing? What shall I say to you? Shall I praise you for this? Certainly not!

23.For I received from the Lord what I also passed on to you: The Lord Jesus, on the night he was betrayed, took bread,

24.and when he had given thanks, he broke it and said, "This is my body, which is for you; do this in remembrance of me."

25.In the same way, after supper he took the cup, saying, "This cup is the new covenant in my blood; do this, whenever you drink it, in remembrance of me."

26.For whenever you eat this bread and drink this cup, you proclaim the Lord's death until he comes.

27.Therefore, whoever eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be guilty of sinning against the body and blood of the Lord.

28.A man ought to examine himself before he eats of the bread and drinks of the cup.

29.For anyone who eats and drinks without recognizing the body of the Lord eats and drinks judgment on himself.

30.That is why many among you are weak and sick, and a number of you have fallen asleep.

31.But if we judged ourselves, we would not come under judgment.

32.When we are judged by the Lord, we are being disciplined so that we will not be condemned with the world.

33.So then, my brothers, when you come together to eat, wait for each other.

34.If anyone is hungry, he should eat at home, so that when you meet together it may not result in judgment.
      And when I come I will give further directions.

Footnotes:

1 Corinthians 11:2 Or traditions

1 Corinthians 11:7 Or 4 Every man who prays or prophesies with long hair dishonors his head. 5 And every woman who prays or prophesies with no covering (of hair) on her head dishonors her head—she is just like one of the "shorn women." 6 If a woman has no covering, let her be for now with short hair, but since it is a disgrace for a woman to have her hair shorn or shaved, she should grow it again. 7 A man ought not to have long hair

QUESTIONS:

1.Upon reading this what is the first thing that peek your interest?

2.What was something you learned that you didn't know or you forgot?

3.What in this chapter if you had to teach someone about would you choose to tell someone and what words would you use to help them understand(you may also add other books and chapter and verses to help explain)

When I was in school they use to tell us read one,do one and teach one. I did surgery so I understand how hard it is to teach something you may have just learned but give it a try if you like.

by on Mar. 5, 2010 at 4:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
add_chase
by Member on Mar. 5, 2010 at 10:31 AM

The first thing that peaked my interest was about a woman having her head covered. I honestly thought it meant you can't pray unless your hands are covering your head!! Thank you for the footnotes; that cleared it up for me. Something new I learned was that a man should have short hair and a woman long. Does this mean I shouldn't get my hair cut? (it's almost to my butt I gotta do something LOL). I also learned that it says right in the scripture to wait for everyone else before you start eating. I always wait, I just never knew this backed it up

By the way, where are these footnotes from? I have the NIV and there's no footnotes

add_chase
by Member on Mar. 5, 2010 at 10:34 AM

I take that back, I do have the footnotes; they're just so small I didn't notice them! lol

DINA35
by Group Admin on Mar. 6, 2010 at 9:25 AM

The hair thing was definately news to me. But what stands out most and what Id like more people to know or to be taught is from 17-22

We are all broken by sin and need Gods transforming power, none is better then the other. Pauls was talking about how some would eat before others and the division among the church. this was because they felt superior, none of us is more superior then the other, we are all the same in God's Eyes!

Prisma
by Co-Owner on Mar. 8, 2010 at 11:58 PM

1.Upon reading this what is the first thing that peek your interest?

The woman's hair; their head covered, and men that wore long hair.

I had to read further to understand what Paul was saying to the church of Corinth. I had to remember their time and culture are different from today. I learned that the Jewish women in the church always believed in having their head covered when praying and in worship. The Gentile women did not consider it  an issue. Also, male prostiutes wore long hair in temples of idol worship.

This is another tactic of satan to take our focus off the outer appearance instead of coming together in Spirit and truth to worship God Almighty through Jesus Christ our Lord and Savior.

2.What was something you learned that you didn't know or you forgot?

I guess I answered this in question 1 :-)

3.What in this chapter if you had to teach someone about would you choose to tell someone and what words would you use to help them understand(you may also add other books and chapter and verses to help explain).

Clothes, hair styles, and outer appearances are not a reason to come to the Lord's House of Worship. We come together to give glory to God for sending His Son to pay a debt we could not pay (John 3:16). 

As long as body parts are not revealed I do not see the Big problem!.

We have to do away with tradition and establish a true foundation and relationship with Jesus. The Holy Spirit will teach each person how to dress, speak, and conduct themselves in a way that is pleasing to God.

I would hate to see another babe in Christ ran out of church because of petty arguments.

Christians all over the world need to get rid of denominations and come together in prayer, praise, and worship and  make JESUS the focus of all we do so we can shut down satan's kingdom!

Luke 11:18 (New Living Translation)

18 You say I am empowered by Satan. But if Satan is divided and fighting against himself, how can his kingdom survive?

Love and Blessings

Charlie
by Group owner-admin on Mar. 9, 2010 at 7:42 PM

Wow I was going to answer those question but I don't think I can make them more clear then Priscilla made them. The hair thing was a time thing. Great answers Priscilla.

I'm still going to answer my study question though.

cathylynn36
by Member on Mar. 10, 2010 at 3:53 PM

The first thing that caught me was :

27.Therefore, whoever eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be guilty of sinning against the body and blood of the Lord.

28.A man ought to examine himself before he eats of the bread and drinks of the cup.  Does this mean you shouldnt sin before taking communion?

and i agree with Priscilla, the hair shouldnt be a problem the  cultures where different back then, i know women with short hair lol! :) who have a strong relationship with the lord  and he loves them just the same.

Prisma
by Co-Owner on Mar. 10, 2010 at 5:10 PM

It means you should examine yourself and ask the Lord to cleanse you of all sin and unrighteousness before going to take communion.

Although, we try hard not to commit any sins there can be something there we are not aware of; so examining yourself and preparing yourself before this sacred fellowship with the Lord allots it to be holy; pure; and upright before Him. We are not to take it lightly and just take communion for sake of tradition or duty. But for the true reverence and rememberance of Jesus' sacrifice for us.

In the churches in Corinth they were using the Lord's  supper to have feasts and get drunk; they did not share food with poorer brethern. This is unworhty behavior.

I have seen people tell others off in church as they were going to take communion. Surely unworthy behavior.

Quoting cathylynn36:

The first thing that caught me was :

28.A man ought to examine himself before he eats of the bread and drinks of the cup.  Does this mean you shouldnt sin before taking communion?

and i agree with Priscilla, the hair shouldnt be a problem the  cultures where different back then, i know women with short hair lol! :) who have a strong relationship with the lord  and he loves them just the same.

I agree about the hair too...it was an issue in some churches.

Love and Blessings

DINA35
by Group Admin on Mar. 11, 2010 at 8:05 AM

yes Prisma is right, you should always not just before taking communion but all things ask for forgiveness first, we must cleanse ourselves to come before the Lord, always asking for forgiveness first.

turquoise212
by New Member on Mar. 11, 2010 at 4:56 PM
First i would like to say "thank you" for your dedication to this site...its being here is such a blessing for the time starved.I feel through prayer that we need to examine our motives closely before we make ANY decisions in this world since there are so many variables and factor's on why we make the choices that we do...If we really prayed and understood why we choose to dress and present ourselves the way we do ....it just might change our decisions...if we aren't trying to make a statement for this world and not for god then i think we need to re-evaluate. If not then god sees into our hearts and knows why we make our decisions. We need not worry if god blesses our decisions....god bless and keep you.
mommyofKellanT.
by New Member on Mar. 12, 2010 at 11:38 PM

The first thing that peaked my interest was about covering the hair. we are from a really small town. we have a group of very strict christians that always have their hair covered and they burn their hair instead of cut it. i knew it was something they read and believed in...I had just never come across it. like I read in another reply i wait to eat too. my grandmother taught me that since i was little. i just thought it was her way of doing things. We went to church all the time and i never thought that it would have a religious background.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN