Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kindergarten graduation?

Posted by on May. 26, 2010 at 9:18 PM
  • 13 Replies
  • 973 Total Views

Does the school hold a kindergarten graduation or not? I remember the graduation ceremony from kindergarten so I thought my 6 year old was going to have one as well... Guess not. The teacher said this school does not hold graduation because some kindergarteners dont make it into 1st grade, and they feel its rude or whatever that the other kids can celebrate moving forward when others cant. YET I just talked to a friend of mine and her son just had a graduation ceremony for kindergarten in a school thats a few blocks away from my kid's school... UMM.. why would 1 school not hold kindergarten graduation and another school does?? DH and I are kinda upset there wont be little cap and gown and all that for our 6 year old. So we might just have to throw her a party next month instead since her last day of school is TOMORROW.

♥Im a hard working 27 year old Mama, Married to Eric (28 yrs old) for 5 years. We have 2 beautiful daughters together ages 3 and 6.. Eric and I have been together for 10 years♥
by on May. 26, 2010 at 9:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
madismommy03
by on May. 26, 2010 at 10:43 PM

Wow. That's strange. I've never heard of that... I mean, are there really SO many kindergarteners that won't make it to 1st grade?? They don't cancel high school graduations and not everyone graduates all the time. Sounds like they need to get over their feelings. I agree w/ you. Celebrate your little ones accomplishment in your own way. :)

AmberT.
by on May. 27, 2010 at 12:21 AM

The one my son goes to doesn't and the school I went to didn't either.  So I never even thought about it.  I am sure though, with or without a graduation, your daughter is just as excited to go into first grade as you are to have her go into it:)  When I was 6, I had no idea what a graduation was. lol

sahm2diego
by on May. 27, 2010 at 12:29 AM

They had a "transition" ceremony.  They didn't get to wear a cap and gown, but they had a  presentation where they sang a few songs and recited poems then got a certificate at the end.

silence68shh
by on Jun. 1, 2010 at 8:47 PM

My son's school didn't have a graduation. I wasn't to happy about it but nothing I could do. I had a party for him at the end of the year to celebrate though.

madismommy03
by on Jun. 1, 2010 at 9:22 PM

Quoting madismommy03:

Wow. That's strange. I've never heard of that... I mean, are there really SO many kindergarteners that won't make it to 1st grade?? They don't cancel high school graduations and not everyone graduates all the time. Sounds like they need to get over their feelings. I agree w/ you. Celebrate your little ones accomplishment in your own way. :)

Now that I think about it, my dd's school marquee sign said, "Kindergarten Recognition". They wore caps and got diplomas... so same thing in my book. Just semantics.

bustii
by on Jun. 1, 2010 at 11:10 PM

Awww =( that's sad that they don't let them have at least a small celebration.

My little man is graduating kindergarten in the morning. I am not ready for it at all! I know I am going to be a mess! I cried today when he sang me one of the songs they have been practicing.

laneyclark
by on Jun. 5, 2010 at 1:44 AM
My sons school didn't have one either but it's the same school I went to and I didn't have one but my my nephews school did and now I wish my son did. My nephew told him that he didn't graduate so he wasn't in the first grade. I didn't find out until after he left so I had to explain to my son that he was going into the first grade.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
caitis_mom
by on Jun. 6, 2010 at 9:54 PM

Idon't think we are having a cap/gown ceremony but they are having a moving on thing on the last day of school.

catngabsmom
by on Jun. 7, 2010 at 12:11 PM

our school does bridging ceremonies, everyone participates, they sing a song, march in and look cute, then they walk across this cute little bridge and get a you had a great year certificate.

ShyJen
by on Jun. 8, 2010 at 6:09 PM

My daughter didnt even get a certificate for completing Kindergarten. I thought for sure she would get at least that since there was no ceremony or walking over the bridge or whatever. There was nothing. She got a memory yearbook DVD, but all the grades got them.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)