Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Night time potty training

Posted by on Jun. 14, 2007 at 4:31 PM
  • 15 Replies
  • 190 Total Views
My DD turned 4 in Feb. she is completely potty trained and has been since was 2 during the day.  It's the nights we are having problems with.  I put her in a pull up every night so that I am not changing sheets 3-4 times a week. My MIL keep getting on me to just leave her in panties and says my DD will figure it out. Am I just being lazy not wanting to change sheets all the time?  Should I put her in Panties at night?  I cut off he drinking @ 7:30, she goes potty before she goes to bed every night at 9:00.  Is there anything else that we should be doing? Does anyone else have this same problem?
by on Jun. 14, 2007 at 4:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
samthecat001
by on Jun. 14, 2007 at 4:37 PM
My son is 3.5 and I have this same dilema.  He's been fully potty trained since 2.  I tried going diaperless through the night but it doesn't work.
I think that he is too sound a sleeper to be wakened by his need to "drain the lizard".  I'm not going to try again till he's 4.
missajoy23
by on Jun. 14, 2007 at 4:39 PM
My little girl has the same problem. And my mom told me to do the same thing your MIL told you to do. And honestly I would try it but DD sleeps on the couch or in my bed, and that's another problem we are working on, and bed time. And I don't want to wake up in pee! And I want to have to shampoo my couch everyday, so we've been using Easy Ups or Feel and Learn; during the day and up until the "diaper" goes on she uses the potty.
southernmommy25
by on Jun. 14, 2007 at 4:43 PM
I am in the same boat....but if you figure it out, let me know.  I will do the same...ha ha!
JaredsMom2003
by on Jun. 14, 2007 at 4:56 PM
My son will be 4 in August and we finally have this potty thing licked ... day and night... He has the ocassional accident and it is about 1 time every 3 weeks.. We cut out fluids at night and we did the pull up at night thing for about a month.. then i decided to be brave and put him to bed in underwear... He had an accident of course (it was 4am on a Monday morning and of course I had to be to work at 8amand I couldn't fall back to sleep)... but hasn't done it since... IMO I would say that they need to be dry for a week in a row upon getting up in the morning before trying to go to bed in undies.. Good Luck
Prissymama
by on Jun. 14, 2007 at 4:59 PM
Oh my gosh! I really thought I was the only mom w/ this problem! Every mom I know is like just keep the panties on and she will wet a few times and then realize she needs to wake up and go.... BUT she goes to bed in her bed @ no later then 9 only to find her way to my bed by 4am. So there has been times where b/c she had fallen a sleep in the car I left the panties on and then the next morning b/c she wet the bed and then crawled into my bed I was changing 2 sets of sheets. If anyone has any good tips please share! I thought when I potty trained her almost 2 years ago that I was done buying diapers!
eddy1lo
by on Jun. 14, 2007 at 5:06 PM
It's normal at that age... you can't do much about it because the problem is is that the muscles in that part of the body aren't fully developed. They develop over the next year or so. It's to long of a time for the un-developed muscles to hold it in that long.
Josef1129
by on Jun. 14, 2007 at 8:17 PM

Josef is potty-trained both day and night.  He has the occassional accident, but what young child does not?  Occassional meaning maybe once a week.  I just got brave one night, after him keeping his diaper dry for almost a week, and let him sleep in underwear.  He hates the feeling of waking up wet, so he wil either wake up, usually around 3am and take himself to the potty, or hold it until he wakes up around 7am.  I think that pull-up, diapers, and all that other stuff just halts the potty training process (it takes the moisture away from their skin so they do not really know they are wet).  Josef was showing intrest in the potty and started doing it himself!  You will find something that works for you, good luck

kidlover2
by on Jun. 14, 2007 at 9:48 PM
my almost 4yr old daughter is finally night trained after being day trained since 2. something that i found that also helped is that i would wake her before I went to bed at 11:30ish to use the bathroom and also if i woke up in the night i would ask her again if she needed to go.
truthfuloak
by on Jun. 15, 2007 at 8:48 AM
Our 3 and 1/2 year old little girl has been waking up dry for about 2 weeks although she continues to wear a pull-up and drinks her milk at bedtime.  We're not doing anything different, but it looks like she's training herself and is so proud when she wakes up dry.
Jessimun
by on Jun. 15, 2007 at 12:53 PM

My Mil & my mom have Suggested to me ( i have the same problem with my 4 y/o son) That I get up Every Other Hour Cuz I'm a SAHM i can do this but i just Havent.... we Just got him sleeping through the night, 9 times out of 10 he wakes up dry theres only one or two times he wont, So I guess i have to be Brave and Put him to sleep in big boy undies tonight and eaither change the sheets tomarrow or get up with him every other hour tonight

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)