Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

hiya New here

Posted by on Jun. 14, 2007 at 9:05 PM
  • 1 Replies
  • 140 Total Views
Hi everyone,

I'm new to the group.  My name is Tiffany.  I have a wonderful husband named Chris and a son named Aiden.   Aiden was born Dec 22nd of 2003.  He is my lil sidekick. 
He was a typical lil boy till about 2 yrs old.  Just after his 2nd bday, he started having issues with severe tantrums everyday all day long.. like 10 to 25 tantrums that could last anywhere from 20 to 40 mins long.  On top of that he was not speaking, just screams and tantrums.  We couldnt take him anywhere, not even family homes for more than a few mins.    Last year in August, we had a Family reunion that was 4.5 hrs from home.. and we decided to go.  I have a very large extended family and over half of them asked me if he was Autistic because of the way he played and acted with tantrums... well it spurred me on to find out what was wrong with him.
when we got home I got on the phone with an early intervention program, and set the wheels in motion for an assessment to be done.  1 assessment and 5 drs later.. we find out he is Not autistic *wooot* but that he has a learning disability called Central Auditory Processing Disorder, with some Sensory issues to top it off.  In common terms, his brain doesnt process audible language as easily or quickly as normal people.  the sensory problems are pretty normal.. he just needs to be told to slow down alot and not to push or hit so hard that it hurts his friends and family.     We saw 3 speech therapists, OT and Sensory Therapists for the next 3 months. 
In January he started attending Special Education Pre K in our school district to help him catch up to his peers.  They estimated him to be behind by about a yr and a half at the beginning of January.
Now that school is out for spring break, Aiden is asking to go to school every day... Talking up a storm, and seems to be acting more and more like a kid his age.  Cant wait to see what a full school year will do for him.

That is our lil story so far... Hope to hear all yours too!
Tiffany

by on Jun. 14, 2007 at 9:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-1):
Rebekka3
by on Jun. 14, 2007 at 10:56 PM
HI!!!!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)