Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

we can't afford a big birthday party....

Posted by on Jun. 28, 2007 at 3:03 PM
  • 8 Replies
  • 355 Total Views
we can't afford a big birthday party this year because of lack of funds.can you give me some party ideas for outside,daniel will be 4.first birthday was little people.2nd was barney.3rd was cars.we are thinking about a bbq at his cousins house?cheap games?
by on Jun. 28, 2007 at 3:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Rachell9503
by on Jun. 28, 2007 at 3:12 PM
Here's an idea (if you have a printer) go to http://www.pbs.org/parents/birthdays/ and let him pick out one of the shows he likes a theme. It gives you lots of birthday stuff to print out. Then go to walmart or somewhere and find cheap plates/napkins/tableclothes in colors to go with what he picked out. Hope it helps. I did that. Well, it was my baby's first birthday (my 2006 baby) and we did Teletubbies!

Rachel
kmatang
by on Jun. 29, 2007 at 9:47 AM
Not sure if you really need a theme. I think themed stuff just tends to run up the cost of any party. If you really feel you have to have a theme, maybe you can see what you have laying around the house. Since it's a BBQ, do you have any farm/barn stuff around your house? Maybe use the Little People Barnyard set as a centerpiece if you have that. Do you have a checkered tablecloth? I'm sure you could find some games online that would be cheap and easy to make. Also, maybe you could limit the number of children attending. Until my daughter started school, the only kids at her parties were 2 friends of the family. This really cut down on the cost. I would make coloring books for each of them by printing coloring sheets online and tying them together with curling ribbon. They would each get a small box of crayons. I'd make a themed pin the tail on the ? game. Then they would spend the rest of the time playing with balloons/balls/toys and eating. Good luck! Kristy
mummiex2
by on Jun. 29, 2007 at 10:22 AM
For my sons third birthday this past year we were low on cash as well. I always make everything myself for their parties. This year my son said he wanted a "blue" party, so we decided to do a fishing theme. I cut out little foam fish (sheets of orange and yellow foam is really cheap @ wal-mart) then got a long stick tied string to it and hooked a magnet to the string. And each fish had a paper clip to it, so the kids could go "fishing" in our little baby pool. We also played "Pin the Fin on the Fish". I drew a big fish on posterboard without the back fin, then I cut out 10 fins from orange contruction paper, blindfolded the kids, and let them go. For decorations (we had it outside in our garage/shop) we threw green and blue crepe paper around the rafters to make it look like seaweek and waves. We bought real cheap blue table clothes that I stamped fish onto. And then just used green and blue and orange plates, silverware, napkins and cups. I also make their invations as well, and their cakes to save on money.  The goody bags: i used brown paper sacks, stamped fish on them, and then went to the dollar store and got big bags of candy and assorted toys and filled them up! It was a nice, but cheap party, that everyone had fun at! Here is a picture of his cake, if you have any questions or want to see more pictures feel free to ask!!! Good Luck with the party!

mom2monkeyboys
by on Jun. 29, 2007 at 10:27 AM
After my first son's 1st birthday, we decided that we will do plain plates and the printed napkins.  (The paper good for that party alone were $75!)  So for Ethan's 1st birthday this year, we did the 1st Birthday napkins and tablecloth and plain plates that match.  We have a large family so that worked out.  His birthday is in May so we BBQ'ed as well and we just went to Costco and got their frozen burgers (awesome deal and they are really good - 24 burgers for $12.) and hotdogs and buns.  It worked out and was inexpensive.  I got chips and made cole slaw and it was nice! 

Maybe you can do a pinata.  We don't do game at the kids parties - too much trying to get 5 kids under 5 organized (no, not all are mine - LOL!).  We have done the pinata and that was fun!
momof3munkeyz
by on Jun. 29, 2007 at 10:39 AM
For an inexpensive birthday but one my kids would enjoy. I sat down with my husband and my daughter and made a list of places we could go : beach or park for a picnic, rec center pool, zoo, aquarium, chuck e cheese etc... She chose the zoo so we brought a picnic lunch with a birthday treat she chose(dirt n'worms which is chocolate pudding with crumbled oreos on top and gummi worms) or get ice cream if you go to pool/  beach something outdoors ... on the way home. And I gave my daughter a chance to pick out something from the gift shop to remember our special day. But I think a family trip somewhere of the childs choosing can be alot better than a party.
momof3at23
by on Jun. 29, 2007 at 11:36 AM
My daughter just turned 4 on June 9th.  We didn't have much money either, so we did a BBQ at my Grandfathers house.  I bought all the cups, hats, napkins and plates for under $10 at Dollar Tree!  We didn't do a theme this year.  We played games outside like Simon Says, Red Light Green Light, we ran races, we went "exploring" and all the kids had a blast, we had two 2 year olds, one 1 year old, two 4 year olds, and a 3 year old.  We mananged to keep them all happy and entertained.
tracy20
by on Jun. 29, 2007 at 2:59 PM
thank you to everyone who have given me suggestions.daniel loves the color purple.so, we are getting purple  plain jane silverware and plates and napkins from walmart.a scooby doo cake and some outdoor activites.cafe mom has been great since i joined.and the mom's have been the best!!
lkennedy
by on Jun. 29, 2007 at 3:17 PM

Quoting kmatang:

Not sure if you really need a theme. I think themed stuff just tends to run up the cost of any party. If you really feel you have to have a theme, maybe you can see what you have laying around the house. Since it's a BBQ, do you have any farm/barn stuff around your house? Maybe use the Little People Barnyard set as a centerpiece if you have that. Do you have a checkered tablecloth? I'm sure you could find some games online that would be cheap and easy to make. Also, maybe you could limit the number of children attending. Until my daughter started school, the only kids at her parties were 2 friends of the family. This really cut down on the cost. I would make coloring books for each of them by printing coloring sheets online and tying them together with curling ribbon. They would each get a small box of crayons. I'd make a themed pin the tail on the ? game. Then they would spend the rest of the time playing with balloons/balls/toys and eating. Good luck! Kristy
To piggy back on this idea a class mate of my daughter's mom did this

Down on the farm-bobing for apples, pin the tail on the donkey, fishing for prizes, milking the cow ( it was a rubber blove on a card board cow), the painted flower pots and planted a tomato plant everyone came dresses like famers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)