Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kindergarten?!?!

Posted by on Jun. 24, 2008 at 11:39 AM
  • 3 Replies
  • 2467 Total Views
My son took his ... um ... kindergarten diagnostic testing today.  Seems like a simple thing ... right?!  Are you kidding me!!!!!????  I felt like I was taking the ISTEP testing all over again!!  They had a testing BOOKLET ... not a few questions ... an actual booklet.  I was completely dumbfounded.  My son and I have been working for months getting him prepared for this test.  I feel like such a failure!!  There were things I hadn't even thought to do w/him.  Nice right!  Why can't kindergarten just be fun like when I went?  :-(
Look at what his test consisted of ...

A Diagnostic-Prescriptive Test for Kindergarten Screening

The KDI-2 is a comprehensive and time efficient screening instrument designed to assess developmental readiness skills in children ages 4-6.

The KDI-2 assesses developmental readiness across 13 areas:

• Body Awareness – assesses visual-motor skills and knowledge of body parts.
  • Concept Mastery – assesses knowledge of basic kindergarten concepts.
  • Form/Letter Identification - assesses knowledge of shape names and letter identification skills.
  • General Information – assesses ability to recall basic information from memory.
  • Gross Motor – assesses large muscle coordination.
  • Memory for Sentences – assesses short-term auditory memory.
  • Number Skills – assesses knowledge of basic math skills.
  • Phonemic Awareness – assesses emerging phonemic awareness skills.
  • Verbal Associations – assesses language-based reasoning skills.
  • Visual Discrimination – assesses visual discrimination skills.
  • Visual Memory – assesses visual memory skills.
  • Visual-Motor Integration – assesses eye-hand coordination, drawing ability, and visual-spatial skills.
  • Vocabulary – assesses knowledge of word meanings.

The KDI-2 Assessment Program Components

KDI2 Kit

The KDI-2 Assessment Program™ is composed of:

• Complete KDI-2 Test Kit™ (Product #2000-1000)
    • Concept Mastery/Number Skills Stimulus Booklet with easel.
    • Visual Discrimination/Visual Memory Stimulus Booklet with easel.
    • Form Letter Identification / Visual-Motor Integration Stimulus Booklet.
    • 25 Student Response Booklets
    • Administration Manual with standardization sample norms.
    • Thirteen 1” wooden blocks for Number Skills.
  • KDI-2 Student Response Booklets™ (Product #2000-2000)
    • An individual Student Response Booklet is used for each child.
    • The KDI-2 Student Response Booklets are sold in packages of 25.
  • My Kindergarten Fun Books (2nd Edition)™ (Product #2000-3000)
    • This is the prescriptive portion of the test.
    • The “Fun Book: contains over 90 learning activities related to the KDI-2 areas.
    • The purpose of the “Fun Book” is to give parents and teachers a low cost set of prescriptive activities related to developmental readiness.
    • The profile of the child’s strengths and weaknesses are copied onto the back of My Kindergarten Fun Book- 2.
    • My Kindergarten Fun Books-2 are sold in packages of 25.
  • KDI-2 Scoring and Interpretation Program for Windows™ (Product #2000-5050)
    • a database software program that stores records, prints reports, and uses standardization sample or user-generated norms.
    • Requires Windows™ 95 or higher operating system.
by on Jun. 24, 2008 at 11:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
shamillionaire
by on Jun. 24, 2008 at 11:45 AM
Wow why did you take it so early? Is he still gonna be going to kindergarten? I am sooooo worried about this myself. I bought him several Phonics books, to help him learn and get into the idea of going to school. WHy did things change so much? It sucks!!

2lilshamrocks
by on Jun. 24, 2008 at 11:50 AM
My son was actually scheduled to take the test April 24.  We had to cancel because something came up, and are just now making it up today.  He will be starting K this fall.  Apparently, we will be getting the results of the tests in the mail within 30 days.  I bought my son phonics too!  :-)  We have a phonics workbook, and I purchased Hooked on Phonics Pre-K.  He has been reading for months now so I thought we were doing great.  I just need to work a little harder with him.  I asked him what he had the most trouble with, and all he told me was that he couldn't draw all the shapes.  So we'll have to work on drawing.  I guess the good thing is ... there are still 6 weeks left of summer to help him prepare....
Quoting shamillionaire:

Wow why did you take it so early? Is he still gonna be going to kindergarten? I am sooooo worried about this myself. I bought him several Phonics books, to help him learn and get into the idea of going to school. WHy did things change so much? It sucks!!
twoperfectgifts
by on Jun. 24, 2008 at 12:07 PM
Don't worry, mama!  I was scared out of my mind that I hadn't prepared my son enough.  He's 4 and won't turn 5 until Nov 18th.  I didn't even know he could go to K this year until I was doing some web-searching. So, we were wayyyyyy behind the power curve.  He has had his testing already and he did great!  They just want to know your childs strengths and weaknesses prior to the start of school!  Good luck to you!  Your baby will be fine!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN