Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I'm worried about my little girl

Posted by on Jul. 29, 2007 at 10:05 PM
  • 7 Replies
  • 298 Total Views
(also a journal post)
My Little Dani Lee weighs about 45 lbs. And sh's about 41-42 inches tall and she's 3 yrs. old. Is that too much for a three yr. old of her height to weigh.  Unfortuatle she takes after me, I was a big girl as a kid, but I was solid all muscle which is. Except that little belly that sticks out but I think that is normal. Anyway I'm concerned and I don't want her to have the life I did, being picked on by other kids in school. I'm just so worried. Help!

melissaanimated.gif

My groups, plaese check them out : If you live in CNY/Upstate Ny www.cafemom.com/group/CNYMommies; If you HPV or would more info www.cafemom.com/group/HPVers; For 2005 Babies www.cafemom.com/group/jojo ; Do you love cats? www.cafemom.com/group/meow

by on Jul. 29, 2007 at 10:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
pattys518
by on Jul. 29, 2007 at 10:16 PM

I MUST TELL YOU SHE IS QUITE BEAUTIFUL. MY DAUGHTER IS 37LBS. 41 IN. SHE IS IN THE 75 PERCERTILE FOR HER AGE.
I DON'T GIVE HER ALOT OF SUGAR. SHE IS VERY ACTIVE SO I CUT THE SUGAR IN HALF FOR HER. 

Generate Your Own Glitter Graphics at GlitterYourWay.com - Image hosted by ImageShack.us

Lilypie 5th Birthday Ticker

Lilypie 6th to 18th Ticker

Lilypie 6th to 18th Ticker

Feel free to join my groups

Are you an older mom - http://www.cafemom.com/group/10283Need to bitch / vent - http://www.cafemom.com/group/bitchclubGot a kid who don’t / won’t poop - http://www.cafemom.com/group/kidswhodontpoopKids w/ tubes in ears - http://www.cafemom.com/group/tubesinearsMoms with Fibromyalgia - http://www.cafemom.com/group/Fibromoms
Ma2JennaB
by on Jul. 30, 2007 at 12:15 PM
I think it may be very slightly on the higher side, but definately something that you can change quickly.  My suggestion would be to change it now rather than later.  Does she eat a lot of sweets or carbs?  Get her into things like nuts (great for omega 3s that they need), yogurt, grapes, cheese sticks for snacks.  Make sure she has a good breakfast like a cheesy egg, oatmeal or some low sugar cereal.  Above all, make sure she is active.  What we do here is I am the morning person and my husband is the evening person.  Jenna gets all her seditary hobbies in the morning and from 4pm on she is active as they come.  Mind you, she doesnt sit for long in the mornings, but that is usually her quiet time while she watches her shows and draws and colors at her desk.  Then around 1ish she is out for a walk, riding her bike etc.  Everyday once daddy gets home it is off to the park they go.  2 days a week for the last month have also been swim lessons but they have ended.  She did camp every morning for a week this month also.  I am in the process of searching for a gymnatics class for her to start next.  We plan to keep her very very active until it comes time for school activities that she can choose on her own when she is older (sports, etc).  My husband has taught her to throw, catch and bat so she will do t-ball next spring.  She missed the age by a few weeks this year.  There are 2 very big reasons for us being so concerned with her activity level.  #1 is we are both overweight and struggle to keep it off all the time.  I do not want her to have to worry about that and the very best way is to teach her to stay active and how to eat right.  #2 she has asthma and the healthier we keep her the better.  This past Feb was horrible for us and we thought we may lose our precious girl.  She ended up having lung surgery.  For all of these reasons we are really on the ball and never slack when it comes to keeping her as healthy as we possibly can.  Good luck to you and I would talk more about it with her Ped at her 4 year old well visit.  He/She can lead you in all the right directions!

sandy
lunasmom
by on Jul. 30, 2007 at 12:20 PM
If you are concerned, you should discuss it with her pediatrician and if s/he agrees that there is a problem, they will hook you up with a nutritionist to make sure that any type of diet/exercise modification is done in a way healthy for her age and size.

I don't recommend just winging it on this one.
carmadsmom
by on Jul. 30, 2007 at 3:16 PM
Ok I just calculated your daughter's body mass index and let me tell you it was scary.  She has a BMI of roughly 18 almost 19 percent!  That is not good.  When you calculate her weight and height on growth charts she is off the charts and above the percentiles.  This can be scary.  I agree with everyone else who says you need to discuss this with her doctor.  Not only are you risking her being obese in teen years but also in adult years and you also need to realize that this can lead to diabetes, heart conditions, and asthma.  Please do realize that only a doctor can tell you what is going to be your best course of action.  Good luck.
2wildones
by on Jul. 30, 2007 at 3:33 PM
Well in my experience it wasn't anything serious! My daughter became very chunky right after she turned four. She had always been very small and skinny!! She gained 10lbs!! I was concerned but then she grew 3 inches. Now she is back to normal!! Sometimes kids gain weight right before they shoot up!! If they didn't they would look anorexic! I would talk to your doctor and make sure though. But more than likely it's just the bodies weigh of preparing for growth! I hope this helps!
StephanieLtd
by on Jul. 30, 2007 at 6:18 PM
By the measurements and pictures, she just looks to be a big girl all the way around.  My daughter is already 4 and hasn't reached 40 inches or 35 pounds, which puts her right around average for both height and weight (which is good but her challenges are more in the area of personality LOL). 

I would suggest keeping your daughter as active as possible, swimming, dancing (saw she does ballet, as my daughter does and loves it), family walks, etc. 

The American food supply is a big problem.  To mitigate the effects of aisle after aisle of over-processed, unhealthy foods at the grocery store, I would suggest as many fruits and vegetables as possible.  Whole grains are important.  Kids' diets can be very full of carbs from macaroni, white bread, and cereal.  I make Haley's macaroni from whole wheat macaroni and put shredded real cheddar cheese on it and let it melt, much better than the box!  I also think little kids carb it up and don't get a lot of protein.  I know my DD doesn't really like meat so much (unless it's sausage!).  I try to get more protein in her to balance out the carbs.  Smoothies with a little protein powder work well for us.

Also juice is full of almost empty calories.  It's such concentrated sugar that we should all try to limit it as much as possible in favor of good ol' water.  Also, milk can be an issue.  It's full of hormones that I think are causing our kids to get bigger and hit puberty quicker.  I use organic whole milk cut 50/50 with water.  That way she gets organic, it doesn't have as much fat, and doesn't break the bank.  With all the foods that food companies "push" to kids, they can just mainline sugar all day.  I think we have to work hard to limit these unhealthy foods. 

As a counselor, I would try not to make her self-conscious about her size.  That will only make matters worse.  I work hard to not pass on my weight and eating issues to my daughter.  I never mention that I feel fat or whatever.  Kids can pick these things up so quickly.  The better her self-esteem, the better she will deal with so many things in life including her size (which may turn out to be a lot more average than it seems right now). 

Good luck, we have so many challenges as parents!

Stephanie

Wife, Mom (Haley, age 4), School Counselor

Owner Moms in Mental Health

Moms of Onlies Administrator

momof3at23
by on Jul. 30, 2007 at 8:56 PM
My daughter is 4 and she weighs 47 pounds and is 42 inches tall.  She is very big for her age.  We have cut out the sugar and unhealthy snacks.  She is extremely active, she is always running and dancing.  We are hoping to get her into soccer as soon as it starts up.  Just talk to your ped about it, we talked to ours and she said as long as keep her from gaining she will be okay, we just have to watch what she eats and keep her active.  This is a pic of my girls.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)