Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

At what age did you lol start K?

Posted by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 5:19 PM
  • 27 Replies
  • 572 Total Views

My son turned 5 in September and he is currently attending kindergarten at a very private school ($22,000/year). He is one of the youngest of his class.  He has about 5 pages of homework every day, which takes us about 1 1/2 hr each day. He is not allowed to watch any TV during school nights. He is also involved in Karate, Soccer (fall) and beisball (Spring) He always has 100% in his math and spelling tests but I feel there is a lot of pressure for him. He has always been really active and it takes him at least 10 min to really focus. Whereas some of his friends who are already 6, they seemed more matured and the learning process comes easier for them.  We are thinking of changing schools, because we found out that our elementary school next our house in a "blue ribbon" school, which is supposed to be really good.  So I was wondering, if in September instead of starting 1st grade, he can go to K again in the new school. I am very torn with this decision. I don't mind spending almost two hours a day with him for his homework, but I also want him to "enjoy" school and life.  Sorry for the long post. Thank you if you have read this far.

by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 5:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
nelopyma
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 5:27 PM

My 5 year old is in K, she turns 6 on Sunday.  She's doing fantastic in K and loves it.  What you describe sounds like a lot for a 5 year old, though.   I don't think I know any K students who have had spelling tests, and that's with having an older child in 4th grade, too.

Also, my kids are limited to one activity at a time.  They're both doing gymnastics right now.

redskins1
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 5:28 PM

my ds turned 5 sept 1, which was the cut off for FL, so we had to send him to K and boy I do not think he is going to be ready for 1st grade, me and dh have already talked about holding him back...

american footballslidetoddler boytoddler girl

Anthony              Matthew              Nicholas              Megan

my2girls2003
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 5:33 PM

My DD also started K in September. She turned 5 in March, so she was about 5 1/2 when she started. She also has homework almost everyday, but now quite as much as your little one. She has about 15 min of reading, some type of writing practice, and the school has a program where they send math binders home and the kids play math related games that are grade appropriate. They have one week to play the current games then they take them back to school and get new games for the next week.  I wouldn't mind spending that much time on homework either, but that does seem a little excessive to me. They are only in K for goodness sake. That's normally how much time I spend with my 3rd grader on homework and she has a hard time concentrating on it. I can't imagine trying to get my kindergartner to concentrate for that long.

devonNjaedon
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 5:36 PM

My son will be 6 at the end of this month and he is in Kindergarten currently. He is doing amazing. They wanted to skip him to 1st grade when we did the Kindergarten screening but I decided to let him stay in Kindergarten with his peers and be the head of the class...rather than risk him being at the back of the class in the next grade, I'm still not sure I made the right choice but he is loving school. I just worry about him getting bored with it because its not challenging enough. IDK 

I think you should definetly follow your heart in this decision. Only you and your dh know what is best for your son. I really like the idea of starting him at the school by your home...if its a good school. And if you think he needs to try Kindergarten again next year then so be it.  Best of luck!

alwaysmom98
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 5:42 PM

I think that if YOU thinks its too much, thaan it is. We decided aginst the high quiality education driven private school I picked out years ago because I decided that I would rather my child enjoy school, than be advanced...if that makes any sense. 

VarelaClan
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 5:42 PM

Cooper started Kindergarten in July. We homeschool & go pretty much year round so we can take breaks periodically throughout the year, rather than a long summer break. He turned 5 in March, so he was a few months into being 5 when he started. He was ready & has done really well, but again he hadn't JUST turned 5 either. I was a teacher before having my kids & from what I noticed girls are ahead of boys at this age, but they do catch up. So, really that is something to consider too. The first couple of years might be hard on both of you, but he will catch up. But, if you keep him in K one more year, I don't think that would hurt him either. I started K when I was 4 & I didn't like always being the youngest. All the other kids were always able to do everything before I was. It was tough going to college at the age of 17. If you send him on to 1st this fall, he will always be one of the youngest. That's really a tough decision & I guess I was of no help to you, but I wish you luck in your decision.

2manygirls
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 5:54 PM

my dd turned 5 at the beginning of sept, she is currently in k at a public school and doing very well, she is the youngest in her class and still thriving. for homework she usually has 1 worksheet per week then we are supposed to be working on sight words and her reading sheets, which she has mastered. (she also does girl scouts and dance 2 times a week) while i feel like my dd should be doing more in school (& homework) imo what your decribing for your son seems like a lot to me.

if you do decide to change schools you could talk with the teachers and see where they feel he should be.

Check out my cakes....iheartcake

nlmlillysmom
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 6:13 PM

I teach middle school, and research has shown that middle school students should have no more than about 15-20 minutes of homework per core subject a night. This means 60-80 minutes a night for 6th-8th grade....

What your describing is more suited (volume wise) for 12-14 year-olds, not 5 year-olds.

My daughter turned 5 in April and started Kindergarten in September.  She gets weekly homework packets that reinforce what they are working on in class, but she gets the whole week to work on it.  We usually spend 20-30 minutes on it in one night and are done for the week.   I don't feel like she is being cheated academically one bit.

I agree with one of the PPs...I want my daughter to learn to love school and as a result love to learn period.  She is involved in soccer, swimming, and karate (never all at the same time) and we make sure that our "family time" isn't spent traveling in the car from one event to the next.

You know your kid.  You know what they NEED both in their education and as a human being that is more than a robot student.   You know what he can handle and what will push him over the edge.

Follow your gut.  If that means leaving private school (imagine the wonderful family vacation you can take that is educational and bonding for $22K!), and going to public, have faith that any shortcomings you feel exist after that you can help fill in.

Also, if you feel your child really needs to repeat kindergarten, do it now.  It is better than waiting until he is in 3rd or 4th grade and realizing he is still the most immature in his class and holding him back then.

kissmiss213
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 6:34 PM

2 hrs of homework for k seems a bit extreme to me. claire turned 5 in june and went to k cause the cut off is in august and she was SO ready for it. however, my middle child will be 5 in march (when he is ready for K) but i dont think that he will be ready. i will most likely wait till he is 6, and then the baby will be almost 6 when he does to K, so i dont think that we will need to hold him back. even my dds teacher said that it is usually boys that need an extra year before they go to kindergarten. its just harder for alot of them to concentrate when they are that young. i think that if u send him to the school nextdoor that u wont need to do k over again, but he might need to if u keep him in the private school just cause of the work load.

Lilypie 6th to 18th Ticker
Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker
Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker
kutemom2003
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 6:55 PM

My son turned 5 in may so he was a less than 5 1/2 when he started. He loves school adn they usually have 1 worksheet a night for homework either the letter they are working on or the sight word they are working on. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)