Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Ugh!! My 5 year old is in the principal's office...

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 9:28 AM
  • 9 Replies
  • 1324 Total Views

I really don't know what to do with Nathan.  He has been having some behavioral problems and been sent down to the principal's office quite frequently.  I just don't know what to do about it...The school called me at 8:45 and told me that he was already in the principal's office because he kept trying to "run away from his class".  It hurts me so much...I don't know what I can do about it.  At home we take things away from him when he's bad.  (Also when he's bad at school he gets grounded from the wii and computer and stuff like that)

I don't know if he needs tested for some type of behavioral problems or what the deal is....

I'm really tempted to just take him out of the public school and homeschool him...

Does anyone have any advice for me?

by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 9:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
JordansMama2003
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 12:25 PM

You know my son is kindergarten too...he turned 5 July 31st. I'm not trying to excuse his behavior, but do you think he is actually ready for kindergarten? I had the option to hold mine back but we decided to try it. Girls develop faster then boys. Plus, boys are just harder to control...I think. Maybe he isn't ready for kindergarten and all the rules that follow. It took my son awhile to understand kindgerten is different from daycare and he has to be more responsible.

Or you could try taking him to the doctor for their opinion. It never does hurt to look into things.

Also, do you think the teacher is patient enough with him? Does he know where the line is drawn and does she make that clear? I know with our son the teacher has a chart for him that has smiley/frown faces on it. He gets one warning and if he continues to act out, then he has to mark his frown face. He has 6 faces....4 smiley faces means a good day anything else means a bad day...unless he gets all his smileys. She started out with 3 warnings but moved it to one over time.

Let me know if this helps or if you have any questions...

HottMamaRossx2
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 12:26 PM

I wish mama.. We are going through the same thing.. I was thinking of switching schools, i just keep telling them "he is with you, what do you want me to do about it", They need to take action.. He only acts up  like that there... They need to get there bluff in..

NJMom2Tyler
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 12:28 PM

I wish I could help..I've been through the same things. It gets better though...just be consistent with the punishments. Keep the lines of communication open between you and the teachers. Good Luck.

hugs

jacobnatesmom
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 1:13 PM

He is ready for kindergarten academically...and he did go to preschool.  He didn't have any real problems there, but he only went in the afternoons. 

I'm not sure about the teacher... my older son had her for kindergarten and we loved her, but it's seeming like she's not a GREAT fit for Nate. 

JordansMama2003
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 3:09 PM

Yeah but sometimes they can be ready academically but not majority wise. Especially boys. IDK....it was just a thought.

Teachers can click better with certain students. Maybe you shouldhave him evaluated for behavioral problems if you think that is best. Or wait it out and just be consistent...sometimes it's just a phase.

Quoting jacobnatesmom:

He is ready for kindergarten academically...and he did go to preschool.  He didn't have any real problems there, but he only went in the afternoons. 

I'm not sure about the teacher... my older son had her for kindergarten and we loved her, but it's seeming like she's not a GREAT fit for Nate. 

candy79556
by on Jan. 23, 2009 at 12:13 AM

glad to know that I am not the only one having this problem. My son has been in the principals office many times this year. I have had to have conferences with his teacher and much more. I didn't even know that they had OCS for 5 year olds but apparently they do because my son has been there. We tried him on some ADHD medicine and for about two weeks he was a different kid. Doing what he was asked, being nice to others, and able to sit still and do his work. That didn't last long. I don't know what to do anymore either. my sons b-day is july 29th so he is younger than some of the other kids but he went through 2 years of headstart and that goes all day so i don't feel that he is to young to be in kindergarden.

itsuptome
by on Jan. 23, 2009 at 12:10 PM
That's great that he was academically ready, but it may be that he is not socially and emotionally ready for Kindergarten . . . especially public school Kindergarten. Birthdate alone is not a reliable marker for a child's readiness for Kindergarten. Did the school preform a readiness test on your son? If not, you may think of having one performed on him to find his strengths and weaknesses. Public schools have all types of developmental readiness resources (evaluations & tests) available to them, but YOU and/or the teacher have to ask for them. Ask to visit with the school's counselor. Start a notebook regarding everything about your son's behavior because a written account is gold during a meeting with school officials. Oh, and don't expect things to go quickly. The school has 'windows' of times to complete a request, give a test, provide results. You can be expected to wait 30, 60, 90 days. Good luck. And unless another mom has at least two sons of her own, her advice is of little use to you because unless you walk in the shoes of a mom with two or more sons, you don't know what it's like. They are very different creatures and unique to themselves. Boys are not harder to handle, but it takes different parenting skills than raising girls. Love your sons for who they are and not what society believes them to be.
happychic
by on Jan. 23, 2009 at 7:22 PM

Have you talked to him about why he gets in trouble? What does he say? How do you punish him for the bad behavior? Maybe start a chart and give him a reward for several days of good behavior. My son turned 5 and the next day went to Kindergarten, but he loves his teacher and loves reading and school. My children know they can't have any privileges if they misbehave at school.

JJTaylor
by on Jan. 23, 2009 at 8:01 PM

I realize the odds are that your son may be experiencing this due to his age or possibly behavioral issues, however, have you considered something else?  Maybe there is a child or children that wither pick on him or are mean to him and he is not allowed his side and since he cannot get retrobution his only defense is to flee and want to "come home"? 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)