Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Head Lice UPDATE!

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 11:52 PM
  • 15 Replies
  • 908 Total Views

Poll

Question: Is it wrong to request my child's classroom to do a head lice check and send kids home?

Options:

Absolutely not!

sort of, Kind of a hassle for everyone but could be worth it

Yes, What about parents who can't afford their children home

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 27

View Results

Winter break ended, my daughter returned to school last week. On sunday I noticed something in her hair. They were nits (lice eggs). I almost cried. I live in a place where parents don't pay much care to their children so I'm pretty hard on my daugher to the point that I check her head every week. There is even a hair shop in this town that removes the lice for you. (Thats unheard of!)

Well, I found no lice at all. Just all the nits. I removed them all but still decided to keep her home from school this week. I called the school to report it and they wanted to know my daughters name which I didn't want to release for fear of embarrassment on her. She's been crying to go back to school.

Now, the conversation with this school went like this:

ME: I wanted to report a classroom that could possibly have lice.

School: ummm..ok

M: It's K5. My daughter didnt have after winter break and now after a week back I found nits.

School: ok.

M: well, whats your actions going to be, I am not returning her until all the kids are checked. Do you know how much of a hassle it is. My 2 daughters and I have lots of hair, that I refuse to chop off.

School: ok. well she could've got it anywhere. Who is your daughter?

M:I'm not gonna have people in this school discuss my daughter. I'm not releasing her name. and yes, I am aware that she could've gotten it anywhere. I'm also aware that this school has a problem with head lice. If you just would check the childrens heads and send the ones home who had lice, it wouldnt be such a problem for this school. So, if I return my child and she gets lice again, I am going to cause a scene. Go to the news and state. I already tried to switch her schools but I'm not allowed because of my district.

School: fine, are you requesting a head check?

M: yes

School: ok well try see. anything else?

Now, I understand that anyone can get head lice, clean or dirty. What I am saying about this community is that the parents will not care enough to clean their childrens head.

So, am I wrong or not for requesting a head check. When she was in daycare they required it ever time the child walked in the door. At one point, majority of the kids were sent home for an outbreak. So, I don't think this is wrong. I take care of my children, so should everyone else.

<font color="red">UPDATE: So My daughters kindergarten teacher called me to find out why my daughter hadn't been in school. I was appalled that she had never received my messages. So, I told her and she seems to like me, probably because we are both young. She confided in me, that the student who sits next to my daughter has chronic lice and that she will move Aaliyah to a completely different side of the room. She never gave me and name and I never found out who sat next to my daughter. BUT...I am still FURIOUS! They allow that child to stay in school..knowing she has lice! I am taking it higher now!<font color="red">

by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 11:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bresmom03
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 11:56 PM

you said that well! I am a finatic also about the stuff I check my kids daily when they come in from school b/c there are too many parents out there that don't check their kids and I refuse to have this problem.

Proud mommy to Breanna, Jeremy, and Kayla
seXXXiiMAMAcita
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 11:59 PM

Thanks so much for the reply. I just felt like the school was acting like I was ridiculous. I wanted to join the PTA at the beginning of the year but it's kind of like being in high school again. It's a clique. This school could be so great, but it's the illiterate (literally) adults who make it bad.

kissmiss213
by on Jan. 22, 2009 at 12:00 AM

i just find it bizarre that they wont do a mandatory check! heck, when i went to school if someone had lice they WERENT allowed back at school until it was taken care of, and that class (actually that whole grade) would go through mandatory checks. that is one of the things the school nurse is supposed to do!

Lilypie 6th to 18th Ticker
Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker
Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker
melissa.mommyX2
by on Jan. 22, 2009 at 12:02 AM

i totally know where youre coming from. a few yrs ago the babysitter i had also watched her niece while she watched my 2. well my kids kept getting lice and they kept telling me that the other little girl didn't have it so they didn't know where it was coming from. well it kept happening and i kept on them about it and finally the grandma of the other little girl told me that yes she does have it all the time and that her mother wouldnt do anything about it. and yes it is very expensive to treat. it was horrible. so eventually i got a new sitter and whattya know. NO LICE!! a miracle i know. lol

seXXXiiMAMAcita
by on Jan. 22, 2009 at 12:02 AM

it is required that they be sent home and are not aloud back until clean, but they do not inforce it at all. I am actually going to speak to the school nurse. When I was in school, I swear they did a whole check for the whole school once a month. I'd prefer once a week lol!

melissa.mommyX2
by on Jan. 22, 2009 at 12:03 AM

that's what i thought too. did you talk to the school nurse or just someone in the office?

Quoting kissmiss213:

i just find it bizarre that they wont do a mandatory check! heck, when i went to school if someone had lice they WERENT allowed back at school until it was taken care of, and that class (actually that whole grade) would go through mandatory checks. that is one of the things the school nurse is supposed to do!

hevnlyangel24
by on Jan. 22, 2009 at 12:15 AM

You might want to also call your local health department and let them know that its not just your daughter but also a problem with the school as a whole and see what they say.  Lice MD works really well compared to other Lice removal kits because you can treat it again without all the harsh chemicals. 

irishmom1977
by on Jan. 22, 2009 at 1:21 AM

OH NO! Mama, you do NOT sound like you are in the wrong at all ! DH and i are having the same trouble with his other 2 daughters, the after school daycare that they go to, is the same way, BM has sent them back there, even though my middle SD has had head lice 3x since the start of the school year. But it seems that DH and I are the only ones raising a fuss about. BM really doesn't care to want to keep her home from daycare, or from our home. She was just here with it. And getting a lice treatment 2 days before she came to our house. Anyway, needless to say, we have narrowed down the source from a little girl in her daycare class. At the start of the school year, the daycare made a fuss about it, and closed the daycare for 3 days to clean and properly treat the kids attending, after an outbreak . And when they all returned, it came back. And that was when SD when coming home with it. So Hell No ! i dont think that demanding a head check it wrong, when you have other children and other people living in your home, EVERYONE involved in that particular situation, should be informed and take the proper measures to make sure that it is taken care of.

THEY ARE OUR CHILDREN, IF WE DON'T PROPERLY CARE FOR THEM - WHO WILL ?

silverana
by on Jan. 22, 2009 at 2:20 AM

wash her hair with tea tree oil shampoos. Lice don't like the smell of it and it will keep them out of her hair

and no you are not wrong at all.

chamberschild
by on Jan. 22, 2009 at 9:30 AM

that is insane, I would be upset too.

I thought, that they were suppose to check the whole class if there was suspicion of an outbreak, and send a letter home to all the parents to let them know that there was an outbreak.

Gaby's Mama

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)