Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What is your 2003 baby riding in?

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 11:59 PM
  • 14 Replies
  • 595 Total Views

Poll

Question: What is your 2003 baby riding in?

Options:

Backless booster

Full back booster

Britax Regent

Britax Frontier

Graco Nautilus

Sunshine Radian 65 or 80

Britax Marathon, decathalon, or other Britax convertible seat.

Recaro young start or young sport

A different Convertible seat that is not already mentioned (ie. eddie bauer, evenflo, safety first, graco, etc.)

Carseats...What are those?

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 82

View Results

Ok, I have 5yr old twin boys and we have outgrown our Britax marathon carseats.  We are looking to get new ones within a month.  So my question to you is what is your 5yr old riding in...A booster, 5pt harness, etc.?  What do you recommend we get next?  My boys are 5yrs 46in tall, 16.5in seated height and 41lbs.  I would like another 5pt harness that converts but I am worried that the combo seat wouldn't last that long as a harness b/c of their height.  Is there a seat that you just love and would like to recommend....Let me know your thoughts!!!

Thanks!

by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 11:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Stephie280
by on Jan. 22, 2009 at 12:18 AM

My 5 year old and 8 year old both ride in a backless boaster. When i get my new van next month i am up them to back boasters. i don't like them not having a back. My 8 year old will ride in one till he is tall enough for a sholder strap. It will be a long time before he is heavy enough. Nothing i can do about that. But if you go off hight i'm barely over the limit. My 1 year old is still in a rear facing car seat and will be till his feet touch the back of the seat. IT is so much safer that way and my husband can ratchet that thing in so tight nothing will move it. i would have my 5 year old in a 5 point harness but he's to tall for them.

melissa.mommyX2
by on Jan. 22, 2009 at 12:23 AM

i guess i dont have the height problem with my almost 6 yo daughter. she is as tall as most 8-10 yr olds. it's weird her dad and i are short but the rest of our families are really really tall. she is in a backless booster and the shoulder strap fits over her great.

MarineGurl02
by on Jan. 22, 2009 at 6:45 AM

I have 2 Graco Nautilis. They are the best bang for your buck though you kid are tall so you might have to shell out for a different seat. I would check with the carseat saftey boards about which seats will keep your boys in a 5 point harness the longest.

AngelTo3
by on Jan. 22, 2009 at 1:48 PM

I went to a free car seat check at a nearby car lot.  It was given by our safety seat enforcement but I can't remember the agency.  It was awesome and very informative.  They checked seats for my 2 yo and 5yo.  Make sure you know their height and weight.  I also got a car seat for $20 that usually sells for $50 in the stores.  It was brand new and a Graco (I think) booster with a back and will convert to just a booster. It had a spot over the shoulder where the seat belt runs thru which is highly recommended.  The have one that still has the 5 point harness too but it is pretty expensive but it does grow with them too.  so if you are ready to make an investment in the car seat that one, I think it is the Nautalis, would be the way to go.  Good luck

joannakitler
by on Jan. 22, 2009 at 2:12 PM

My dr. said my son is big enough where he doesn't need a car seat anymore.  Perfect timing b/c my daughter is getting big and old enough to use his old car seat.

MagickalMommy
by on Jan. 22, 2009 at 6:28 PM

Quoting joannakitler:

My dr. said my son is big enough where he doesn't need a car seat anymore. Perfect timing b/c my daughter is getting big and old enough to use his old car seat.

I dont want to start drama but heres some info for you; not dramatic at all but you need to make sure your dc meets the standards REGARDLESS of what your child 's doctor said - doctors are not CPSTs and just a fyi again not trying to stir the pot just sahre knowldge - carseats expire - so check the expiration date- you probably will not be able to use the same convertable seat for the entire time your dc2 needs to be harnessed.

:) I hope you find the info helpful

Taken from this link:       http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=9009

Safety belts are designed to fit the average adult male. Women and children (especially in older vehicles) simply do not fit. While there is little that can be done for adults (we’re still working on boosters to fit grown-ups who might want them LOL) belt positioning boosters make that adult belt fit your child.

Keep children in booster seats until they pass the "5 Step Test" (usually around 10-12 years old and close to 5 feet tall) in every vehicle in which the child rides. If the child meets the 5 Step Test in one vehicle, but not another, the child will need a booster for every vehicle in which the 5 Step Test is not met.

Weight is a useless measurement of whether a child is ready for the adult seat belt or not. Age is only helpful when considering the child's ability to sit properly.

In order to work properly, a shoulder belt needs to be across the collarbone and the lap belt needs to be on the hipbones. However, children often slip the shoulder belt under their arm or behind their back, losing all upper-body protection. Or, they slide forward so their knees bend comfortably over the edge of the seat, making the lap belt ride up on the abdomen. In these cases, the seat belt CANNOT work properly! Children can slide down and out of the restraint, or the belt can be forced into the stomach, causing damage to internal organs. These types of injuries are known as "seat-belt syndrome."

However, some children should NOT be in boosters.
Children under 40 pounds and under the age of four should remain in a 5 point harness at all times.

A booster does not restrain the child the way the harness does, it simply "boosts" the child up in order to make the adult-sized belt safely fit a child-sized body. Children under age 4 do not possess the ability to sit perfectly at all times, and a child who leans forward to retrieve a cup or toy, or who twists around to see something or someone behind them, will not be protected in a crash and is at risk for serious injuries and possibly death. Also, children this age sometimes still fall asleep in the car. The slumping that occurs when this happens means they are not properly positioned and should be in a 5 point harness for that trip. Ideally all children should remain in an appropriate 5 point harness until age 5.

The 5 Step Test
If you answer "No" to any of these questions, your child must be in a booster seat:
1. Does the child sit all the way back against the auto seat?
2. Do the child's knees bend comfortably at the edge of the auto seat?
3. Is the lap belt touching the top of the thighs, not the tummy?
4. Is the shoulder belt centered on the shoulder and chest?
5. Can the child stay seated like this for the whole trip?

BELT-POSITIONING BOOSTERS CAN NOT be used with only a lap belt!
(See your car dealer for a lap/shoulder belt retrofit.)

So what booster is best for your child?
That is a complex question with no hard and fast answers. The best booster for your child is the one that fits your child, your vehicle, your budget and that you will use correctly each and every time. Some boosters (like other car seats) are outgrown early by height, others can be tricky to use properly. Others are very expensive.

Toddlerwearing, Co-Sleeping, Breastfeeding, Cloth Diapering, Unschooling,  Pro-Extended Harnessing, Pro- Extended Rearfaceing, Selectively/Delaying Vax'ing Attacthed Mommy to 2 Princes

MagickalMommy
by on Jan. 22, 2009 at 6:30 PM

My ds is in a britax marathon but hes about to hit the height limit we have been lucky that he has long legs and a shorter torso so weve gotten longer use from it- but I will be getting the britax frontier for our main car and the graco nautolis for our secondary car-

Toddlerwearing, Co-Sleeping, Breastfeeding, Cloth Diapering, Unschooling,  Pro-Extended Harnessing, Pro- Extended Rearfaceing, Selectively/Delaying Vax'ing Attacthed Mommy to 2 Princes

mommyof1stepof1
by on Jan. 22, 2009 at 6:32 PM

Quoting MagickalMommy:

Quoting joannakitler:

My dr. said my son is big enough where he doesn't need a car seat anymore. Perfect timing b/c my daughter is getting big and old enough to use his old car seat.

I dont want to start drama but heres some info for you; not dramatic at all but you need to make sure your dc meets the standards REGARDLESS of what your child 's doctor said - doctors are not CPSTs and just a fyi again not trying to stir the pot just sahre knowldge - carseats expire - so check the expiration date- you probably will not be able to use the same convertable seat for the entire time your dc2 needs to be harnessed.

:) I hope you find the info helpful

Taken from this link:       http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=9009

Safety belts are designed to fit the average adult male. Women and children (especially in older vehicles) simply do not fit. While there is little that can be done for adults (we’re still working on boosters to fit grown-ups who might want them LOL) belt positioning boosters make that adult belt fit your child.

Keep children in booster seats until they pass the "5 Step Test" (usually around 10-12 years old and close to 5 feet tall) in every vehicle in which the child rides. If the child meets the 5 Step Test in one vehicle, but not another, the child will need a booster for every vehicle in which the 5 Step Test is not met.

Weight is a useless measurement of whether a child is ready for the adult seat belt or not. Age is only helpful when considering the child's ability to sit properly.

In order to work properly, a shoulder belt needs to be across the collarbone and the lap belt needs to be on the hipbones. However, children often slip the shoulder belt under their arm or behind their back, losing all upper-body protection. Or, they slide forward so their knees bend comfortably over the edge of the seat, making the lap belt ride up on the abdomen. In these cases, the seat belt CANNOT work properly! Children can slide down and out of the restraint, or the belt can be forced into the stomach, causing damage to internal organs. These types of injuries are known as "seat-belt syndrome."

However, some children should NOT be in boosters.
Children under 40 pounds and under the age of four should remain in a 5 point harness at all times.

A booster does not restrain the child the way the harness does, it simply "boosts" the child up in order to make the adult-sized belt safely fit a child-sized body. Children under age 4 do not possess the ability to sit perfectly at all times, and a child who leans forward to retrieve a cup or toy, or who twists around to see something or someone behind them, will not be protected in a crash and is at risk for serious injuries and possibly death. Also, children this age sometimes still fall asleep in the car. The slumping that occurs when this happens means they are not properly positioned and should be in a 5 point harness for that trip. Ideally all children should remain in an appropriate 5 point harness until age 5.

The 5 Step Test
If you answer "No" to any of these questions, your child must be in a booster seat:
1. Does the child sit all the way back against the auto seat?
2. Do the child's knees bend comfortably at the edge of the auto seat?
3. Is the lap belt touching the top of the thighs, not the tummy?
4. Is the shoulder belt centered on the shoulder and chest?
5. Can the child stay seated like this for the whole trip?

BELT-POSITIONING BOOSTERS CAN NOT be used with only a lap belt!
(See your car dealer for a lap/shoulder belt retrofit.)

So what booster is best for your child?
That is a complex question with no hard and fast answers. The best booster for your child is the one that fits your child, your vehicle, your budget and that you will use correctly each and every time. Some boosters (like other car seats) are outgrown early by height, others can be tricky to use properly. Others are very expensive.

what happins when ur kid is already 80 lbs and is 50inches tall at 5 yrs old???????

vermontmoms
by on Jan. 23, 2009 at 7:37 AM

Quoting mommyof1stepof1:

what happins when ur kid is already 80 lbs and is 50inches tall at 5 yrs old???????

You buy the graco Nautilus or the similar booster that fits kids up 100lbs and 60in.

MarineGurl02
by on Jan. 23, 2009 at 8:30 AM

Actually you would apply the 5step test that a PP listed and then if needed you would get a booster that met the needs.

Quoting vermontmoms:

Quoting mommyof1stepof1:

You buy the graco Nautilus or the similar booster that fits kids up 100lbs and 60in.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)